• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

axle wedge problems, need pics

Texanferever

So my new axle wedges should be here today for a D44, and I don't have anything to look at to get measurements from, but here is my plan.....

I am going to get a measurement from the floor to the frame (where the raduis arms mount). Next I was planning to clamp the new wedges onto the axle loosely then raise ends of the radius arms to the measurement that I took from the floor to the frame. With the ends of the arms at riding height, I was going to put the diff cover perpendicular to the floor so the bolts on the cover will point straight up at riding height. Then I would tack the wedges in place, tighten the clamps, make sure both ends of the radius arms will touch the ground together when the axle is rotated. If they do touch at the same time, the I was going to take the clamps off, finish the welding, put the clamps back on, re-check the ends touch at the same time, and stick it back under the truck.

Anything I am missing here? I have already screwed this deal up once, so trying to avoid a third attempt!

Last edited:

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I'm not sure that making the diff cover mouting surface verticle will set the caster correctly. I think the best thing to do is bolt it all together (pinion pointing low), put the coils in, and the axle on jack stands. then put a jack under the pinion and rotate it untill you get the desired caster angle.

OP
OP
T

Texanferever

I do have a 3.5 inch susp lift, with 7 degree bushings. So if the bushings adjust my caster does that make the wedges easier to figure out? Drawing a line through the axle wedges; is it parallel to the ground, front 1/2 in higher than the rear? is it parallel to the pinion? Pics of the wedges is relation to the ground/pinion/diff housing would be great.

I am trying to figure out a starting point then I can "fine tune" it with different bushings.

Last edited: