• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Axle wrap devices and rear sway bar suggestions

Loc.
The Bluegrass State
I recently installed a Hellwig sway bar on the front of my rig. I really like how it effected the body roll. The rear of the rig feels a bit soft though so I'd really like to purchase Hellwigs rear sway bar. My problem is I want to install an anti wrap device on my rear axle. However I am not sure what would work in conjunction with a rear sway bar. I was originally looking at Ruff Stuff anti wrap device but I believe there is definitely going to some clearance issues so that won't work. Then I looked Wild Horses Wrap Trap I think depending on how the sway bar is installed the center mounting point may clear the sway bar. The last device I looked at was Duff's Classic Traction Bars these would definitely offer zero interference with the sway bar I am just not sure how well they work. Anybody who has dealt with this issue and can offer some advice it would greatly appreciated. My rig is drove to and from where I like to run some trails. The trails aren't anything super hard or anything but I would like to get something that can handle moderate off-roading. The sway bars are for my half way point of my four wheeling journey a pass that is a little over 6000 ft that has numerous curves on both sides of it. That section of the road is about twenty miles so I like idea of staying on the road . Thank you in advance for any insight or suggestions.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Drive it to the trails, drive it on the trails, drive it home from the trails - that's what I'm building for.
Those trails include many in the mountains of Colorado, going over passes and around curves to get there is a given.

My plans include a sway bar on the rear.

For axle wrap I'm going to use the WH Wrap Trap and their Anti-Wrap Leaf Spring Perches.

OP
OP

Loc.
The Bluegrass State
Sykanr0ng
You guys have taller mountains then us up north of you. But we both have same plans! I am thinking that either rotating the sway bar either forward or rearword a bit will allow the mounting of the Wrap Trap to the top of the differential . Mounting the sway bar links to the frame shouldn't be a problem since there is no specific mounting point. But right now it is just theory that seems to work in my tiny little brain!

toddsrods

i used the duff classic bars on my f150 for a few years and thought they worked great. would be a good choice to offer no interference with the sway bar.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Hellwig has a project Bronco with the rear sway bar mounted over the frame, like upside down to the usual way but it appears to work.
It clears the four link.

navalbronco66

i used the duff classic bars on my f150 for a few years and thought they worked great. would be a good choice to offer no interference with the sway bar.

I was looking into these for my rig, I've already powder coated the frame and don't want to weld onto the frame. How did the duffs classic traction bars affect ride quality?Also seems like most people are going for the ruff stuff kit. My question is how bad do I need to control the wrap. I've got the WH anti wrap leaf spring perch and I figure with the duffs classic bars I should be good. I'll be pushing about 400HP at the motor and have a WH 3.5 in lift spring in the rear.

OP
OP

Loc.
The Bluegrass State
I ended up putting these on my rig. Overall I'm pleased with them. I can see where they would limit articulation a little if you wanted something really flexy. I am running a Hellwig rear sway bar so they don't limit things anymore then the sway bar does. These things worked in the snow and also on the trails. That being said I don't really do any rock crawling. My only crawling is finding a washed out logging trail or forest service road. Worked fine on the couple of those I ran across this summer.

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
The Duff's classics will stiffen you up and limit articulation quite a bit. There design is to drill holes in the leaf spring mounts so you might consider welding them if you decide to go with them. I had them back in the day and replaced the bar with old school kicker shocks. Worked but a bit outdated.

Last edited:

navalbronco66

I ended up putting these on my rig. Overall I'm pleased with them. I can see where they would limit articulation a little if you wanted something really flexy. I am running a Hellwig rear sway bar so they don't limit things anymore then the sway bar does. These things worked in the snow and also on the trails. That being said I don't really do any rock crawling. My only crawling is finding a washed out logging trail or forest service road. Worked fine on the couple of those I ran across this summer.

How was your ride? I've got the WH 3.5 11 pack leafs in the back and don't want a super stiff ride. I plan on using my bronco mainly highway..also this wrap trap topic has been beat to death but from reading old posts seems like the wrap trap setup style is a fad. One style is the best for a while then Something new comes along and so on. Started off with the duffs classics, then went to using the front radius arm, and now it seems to be the Ruff Stuff kit and the WH kit. Both Ruff Stuff and WH kits look great and am sure do the job, but I'm just wondering if it's overkill for my build. I wanted something simple and the Duffs classic traction bars looked simple.

I liked the radius arm clamped to the rear diff and attached to The frame. It looked simple, OEM, and looked like it got the job done. Anyone have any credible input as to which setup is ideal for just highway cruising and light very light off road driving?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
How was your ride? I've got the WH 3.5 11 pack leafs in the back and don't want a super stiff ride. I plan on using my bronco mainly highway..also this wrap trap topic has been beat to death but from reading old posts seems like the wrap trap setup style is a fad. One style is the best for a while then Something new comes along and so on. Started off with the duffs classics, then went to using the front radius arm, and now it seems to be the Ruff Stuff kit and the WH kit. Both Ruff Stuff and WH kits look great and am sure do the job, but I'm just wondering if it's overkill for my build. I wanted something simple and the Duffs classic traction bars looked simple.

I liked the radius arm clamped to the rear diff and attached to The frame. It looked simple, OEM, and looked like it got the job done. Anyone have any credible input as to which setup is ideal for just highway cruising and light very light off road driving?

The Duff classic bars will work and will also limit articulation.
Duff has there Torque Tamer. It mounts like Ruff Stuff's. It seems a little smaller than Ruuf Stuff's which would make exhaust running easier.

I run the Wrap Trap. Light duty for sure but gets the job done.
A traction bar is very helpful with soft leaf springs. Night and day.
And it will save your u-joints.

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Our classic traction bars are still very popular. We have found that they do very well with most eb guys. We also sell them to every Bronco year and model as well as Rangers, explorers and many pickups. I have not heard any negative feed back or had a return on them from the result of poor performance. If there was a flaw or a limitation in the design from its intended use and purpose it has not been brought to my attention in the last 2 years. I honestly think this is mostly because we direct a customer to better option like our Torque Tamer when they need more traction control or like to wheel hard.

The classic traction bars will work great for light wheeling and we have had customers running 400hp motors in their eb use them. I personally don't know how well they stand up to 400+ hp. IMO deep gearing kills traction bars quicker than big horsepower. I had a 76 EB with 105 hp to the rear wheels that had 5:13 gears. It ate up my Heavy Duty DIY traction bars in high range on the street. To be 100% transparent I was trying to break them ;D

If you need a anti wrap bar that can prevent axle wrap without limiting articulation then our Torque Tamer is a great fit. I've spent a lot of time in the last year making this product better, stronger and now available to to Broncos from 66-96 (not including the B2) and it is now available in an HD version for guys with big horsepower and/or guys who like to play in the rocks. Since the torque tamer came out 15 years ago we saw it was time to make some improvements, a lot has changed. Broncos are getting twice the horsepower, huge tires, deep gearing and going places that would make a Billy goat puke! The new Torque Tamer design is comprised of 100% DOM tube. The main bar and cross member is sleeved in the critical areas for a total wall thickness of .250 (1/4"). I also added a double shear gusset to the main bar to eliminate flex and fatigue. I beefed up the main axle bracket from 1/4" to 3/8" we saw a few guys break the 1/4". I also modified the main fixture and built another fixture that prevents the bars from moving during the weld process. Some customers have struggled installing the main bar to the axle bracket. We eliminated that issue.

When looking at our Torque Tamer vs a similar made DIY kit my research shows that cost is almost the same. Ours is $299 the DIY is $280. Yes there are pros and cons to either way you decide to go. If your building a Bronco with big tires, deep gears and HD axles that is going to get beat to snot on the trails, see a lot of rock damage and you're already a big fan of DIY options then you may need a DIY anti wrap bar. If you're not doing that you may really like a product like ours that is already professionally assembled, welded and powder coated. It's designed for your Bronco so it bolts right in. Our setup only uses one heim joint to allow for maximum articulation. The other connection points are polyurethane bushings to prevent excessive movement and heim chatter. You will still have to weld the axle bracket on but the whole project can be done in a couple hours. Remember if you choose the DIY route this is one of those parts that have to be welded very well. Anti Wrap bars will find the weak link in a big hurry so make sure your welder is dialed in and you are fully penetrating the base metal. One disclaimer I want to point out for any anti wrap bar that runs along side the drive line is exhaust routing may need to be modified. If you use our exhaust kit everything works together.

As always I'm looking for feed back from the community to make our products the best. I hope this explanation better illustrates the value and effectiveness of our product.

Torque Tamer:
http://www.dufftuff.com/Long_Travel_Traction_Bar_1966_77_Bronco_p/5326.htm

Last edited:

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Our classic traction bars are still very popular. We have found that they do a very well with most eb guys. We also sell them to every Bronco year and model as well as Rangers, explorers and many pickups. I have not heard any negative feed back or had a return on them from the result of poor performance. If there was a flaw or a limitation in the design from its intended use and purpose it has not been brought to my attention in the last 2 years. I honestly think this is mostly because we direct a customer to better option like our Torque Tamer when they need more traction control or like to wheel hard.

The classic traction bars will work great for light wheeling and we have had customers running 400hp motors in their eb use them. I personally don't know how well they stand up to 400+ hp. IMO deep gearing kills traction bars quicker than big horsepower. I had a 76 EB with 105 hp to the rear wheels that had 5:13 gears. It ate up my Heavy Duty DIY traction bars in high range on the street. To be 100% transparent I was trying to break them ;D

If you need a anti wrap bar that can prevent axle wrap without limiting articulation then our Torque Tamer is a great fit. I've spent a lot of time in the last year making this product better, stronger and now available to to Broncos from 66-96 (not including the B2) and it is now available in an HD version for guys with big horsepower and/or guys who like to play in the rocks. Since the torque tamer came out 15 years ago we saw it was time to make some improvements, a lot has changed. Broncos are getting twice the horsepower, huge tires, deep gearing and going places that would make a Billy goat puke! The new Torque Tamer design is comprised of 100% DOM tube. The main bar and cross member is sleeved in the critical areas for a total wall thickness of .250 (1/4"). I also added a double shear gusset to the main bar to eliminate flex and fatigue. I beefed up the main axle bracket from 1/4" to 3/8" we saw a few guys break the 1/4". I also modified the main fixture and built another fixture that prevents the bars from moving during the weld process. Some customers have struggled installing the main bar to the axle bracket. We eliminated that issue.

When looking at our Torque Tamer vs a similar made DIY kit my research shows that cost is almost the same. Ours is $299 the DIY is $280. Yes there are pros and cons to either way you decide to go. If your building a Bronco with big tires, deep gears and HD axles that is going to get beat to snot on the trails, see a lot of rock damage and you're already a big fan of DIY options then you may need a DIY anti wrap bar. If you're not doing that you may really like a product like ours that is already professionally assembled, welded and powder coated. It's designed for your Bronco so it bolts right in. Our setup only uses one heim joint to allow for maximum articulation. The other connection points are polyurethane bushings to prevent excessive movement and heim chatter. You will still have to weld the axle bracket on but the whole project can be done in a couple hours. Remember if you choose the DIY route this is one of those parts that have to be welded very well. Anti Wrap bars will find the weak link in a big hurry so make sure your welder is dialed in and you are fully penetrating the base metal. One disclaimer I want to point out for any anti wrap bar that runs along side the drive line is exhaust routing may need to be modified. If you use our exhaust kit everything works together.

As always I'm looking for feed back from the community to make our products the best. I hope this explanation better illustrates the value and effectiveness of our product.

Torque Tamer:
http://www.dufftuff.com/Long_Travel_Traction_Bar_1966_77_Bronco_p/5326.htm

Good stuff/\/\/\

OP
OP

Loc.
The Bluegrass State
Navalbronco,
I put these on when I installed my rear sway bar. So I can't say what they did ride wise by themselves. I am running 11 leaf rear springs which were pretty stiff to begin with. Since installing the sway bar and traction bars I have a lot less body roll. At first they kinda surprised me with how much they effected the body roll. After installing them I went into a curve a little hot and the ole pucker factor went up but, I stayed right in place . I would say overall other than articulation I am really happy with their performance. My motor is right at 400hp at the motor not sure what it is by the time it makes it to the rear tires.