• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

AZ Stampede in march anyone going, or have gone?

OP
OP
S

sixtyniner

Can anyone tell me about the campsite at rock springs next weekend? I have no details other than "rock spring's. I paid on line and all I could see was that it said to check in at Rock Springs. I know it's primitive. Are there any trails near the camping area without having to get back on I-17? Do you guys wheel at night? I know there is a family area but does that mean the other area is what...??? ;) This is my first stampede and just trying to get an idea of what to look forward to.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Can anyone tell me about the campsite at rock springs next weekend? I have no details other than "rock spring's. I paid on line and all I could see was that it said to check in at Rock Springs. I know it's primitive. Are there any trails near the camping area without having to get back on I-17? Do you guys wheel at night? I know there is a family area but does that mean the other area is what...??? ;) This is my first stampede and just trying to get an idea of what to look forward to.
You can't miss the camp site. Go up 17, exit at Rock Springs. Make a left to go over top 17 and make another left to Rock Springs. As you go down the hill, look to the right. The Stampede will be the big lot with a hundred campers and trailers in it, and the big sign says Arizona Classic Bronco's Stampede. It's just north of the Rock Springs Cafe.

Most runs will start by ducking down into the Agua Fria just south of Rock Springs. Sometimes they've just driven down to Table Mesa Road on 17. I have not seen any night wheeling, but usually I'm too "busy" in the evening!

I don't camp. I live close enough that I go home each night. But there really are no "wild parties". Most people are respectful enough that you could camp anywhere in the area and be comfortable.

If I were you, what I would look forward to is a good time!

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
There are usually some impromtu groups that head out for some night wheeling.
Campsite is easy to find, there is also food and fuel nearby so it's not necessary to bring absolutely everything.

Bituman

Loc.
Phoenix Mtn Preserve
Just noticed that Az classic bronco is having Their stampede this month Around table mesa and rock springs. As long as I have owned my bronco I have not gone to any "organized" events. Has anyone here gone before? Thoughts?

Thanks for posting this up 69er. I'm a noob to this type of event too, and I didn't know what to expect. Thanks to you I have a better idea of what to expect.

Bob

HavaBronco

Loc.
Lake Havasu City
Man it's tough looking at all this fun and mayhem, that weekend is my anniversary and convincing my wife to a. come along, or b. let me skip town during our anniversary is a maybe once every three year proposition. So in other word although it's slightly better equiped then last time, me and the white bronco submarine will not be attending again this year. :mad: maybe next year. :cool:
Chuck

Attachments

• Broncosub2.jpg
    Broncosub2.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 14
  • broncosite5rs.jpg
    broncosite5rs.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 13

70_Steve

Old Guy
Man it's tough looking at all this fun and mayhem, that weekend is my anniversary and convincing my wife to a. come along, or b. let me skip town during our anniversary is a maybe once every three year proposition. So in other word although it's slightly better equiped then last time, me and the white bronco submarine will not be attending again this year. :mad: maybe next year. :cool:
Chuck
Chuck, I remember watching you get strapped out of the river! I was a couple hundred yards up-stream.

Maybe you could try combining the Stampede weekend (guy-oriented Friday and Saturday) with some other activity, like a couple days (Sunday and Monday) at the Boulders resort, or maybe The Point, so she can get in a little female pamper time.

You'd be amazed at the power of just the though of a hot rock massage and cucumber facial. Not that I've ever had to resort to anything like that...:-X

Mr Rags

Contributor
I am glad we be having some rookies out there this year. You'll wonder how or why you ever missed it. Everyone in the club is very willing to help out new people. So if you have any questions once you get out there, just ask someone, they will get you pointed in the right direction. Thanks for attending.

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
You'd be amazed at the power of just the though of a hot rock massage and cucumber facial. Not that I've ever had to resort to anything like that...:-X

You're scaring me Steve.... when did you get in touch with your feminine side??? :eek:

joser

Loc.
Chesterfield, MI
Steve - You have to get some road miles in just driving up to Rock Springs. Plenty of shake down to be ready for the tough stuff!

Seriously - This is a great Bronco / four wheel event. Truly something for everyone. From stock to crazy Bronco buggies, this event draws them all. Show quality to home built. Great people and fun trails. All in the AZ weather - you cannot beat it!!!

One note - The gas station at next to Rock Springs cafe was closed while we were doing some pre runs a few weeks ago. So for fuel and supplies, Black Canyon City is closest. Just an FYI in case some are counting on fuel right there next to the camp grounds.

The next 24 hours will not pass fast enough for me!!!!

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
Steve - You have to get some road miles in just driving up to Rock Springs. Plenty of shake down to be ready for the tough stuff!

Seriously - This is a great Bronco / four wheel event. Truly something for everyone. From stock to crazy Bronco buggies, this event draws them all. Show quality to home built. Great people and fun trails. All in the AZ weather - you cannot beat it!!!

One note - The gas station at next to Rock Springs cafe was closed while we were doing some pre runs a few weeks ago. So for fuel and supplies, Black Canyon City is closest. Just an FYI in case some are counting on fuel right there next to the camp grounds.

The next 24 hours will not pass fast enough for me!!!!

That is too bad. I figured I gave that station enough business last Stampede to keep them afloat all year. ;D

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
One note - The gas station at next to Rock Springs cafe was closed while we were doing some pre runs a few weeks ago.

It's been closed for several months but allegedly will re-open again soon (not in time for the Stampede though) - being run by the folks at the Rock Springs Cafe. That was always a bit of a scary place anyway - it had some "interesting" stuff and "interesting" people there.

Todd Z.

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
It's been closed for several months but allegedly will re-open again soon (not in time for the Stampede though) - being run by the folks at the Rock Springs Cafe. That was always a bit of a scary place anyway - it had some "interesting" stuff and "interesting" people there.

Todd Z.

"Those" folks didn't go far... they opened up a 24 hour head shop in mid town Black Canyon City in case you need nunchucks or a Bowie knife at 2 am.....;D

Saturday's hour by hour weather....

Hourly Forecast 6AM 12 Noon 6PM 12 Midnight
Wind 4 mph SSE 11 mph SSW 15 mph SW 12 mph SSW
Chance of Precip. 0% 0% 0% 30%
Cloud Cover 49% 67% 90% 74%
Conditions Partly Cloudy Mostly Cloudy Overcast Chance of Rain

Bituman

Loc.
Phoenix Mtn Preserve

Todd Z.

Yep, I've encountered a few of those locals. Three or four times I year I mountain bike the Black Canyon Trail, which goes right thru there. Some of the locals are pretty crusty, and they are all armed to the teeth. I have had bullets go whizzing by me on more than one occasion. I don't ride that area alone any more, and when I'm in a group we all agree not to drop anyone. Sort of the herd mentality on bikes!

Bob

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Yep, I've encountered a few of those locals. Three or four times I year I mountain bike the Black Canyon Trail, which goes right thru there. Some of the locals are pretty crusty, and they are all armed to the teeth. I have had bullets go whizzing by me on more than one occasion. I don't ride that area alone any more, and when I'm in a group we all agree not to drop anyone. Sort of the herd mentality on bikes!

Bob

I'd be interested to hear what part of the Black Canyon Trail you were getting bullets passing your group. That is unacceptable. I know alot of the miners up there along the BCT, plus the Roadrunners group. Usually they don't get fired up unless someone is on their claim illegally... There is one except that comes to mind... the guys that own Maggie Mine. Caution to everyone going out Maggie Mine road during the ACB Stampede....heed the signs... GO SLOW past their property as we want that easement to stay open.... and those old guys get pissed when people buzz their property. They work on circle track race cars and the dust gets everywhere..... so respect the signs please!

OP
OP
S

sixtyniner

Bob

Those bullets whizzing by are more likley to be from some idiots from the city, rather than from a local person. But I know what you mean by "crusty". They can get scary when they think they are protecting their property.

Bituman

Loc.
Phoenix Mtn Preserve
It's happened to me twice. One time just north of Skyline and another on the Little Pan loop a mile or two north of Table Mesa. Actually, Skyline isn't very far from the Stampede site as crow flies, although maybe 3 miles down the trail. I don't think anybody was shooting at me, in particular. Just south of the water crossing at Williams Mesa, I rode up on a guy just hiking along and shooting at nothing in particular. That's such a remote area that I don't think he was someone up from Phx. I think when the bullets passed by me it's just locals plinking away and not paying attention to the direction they're shooting. You hear shots out there all the time, it's pretty well recognized by the local mountain biking community. I respect their right to blast away, I just wish they would point the muzzle away from the direction of the trail.

Bob