• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

B.C. Broncos soft top in winter?

matts460

OK so we got this 77 ranger up and running last summer and so far so good but now my wife and i found the BC bronco Soft top and love it! But this truck is a daily driver and we have kids so with that in mind before we drop that big chunck of change we want to know if this top is worth a darn in the winter! We live near Kansas city Missouri so theres not to many below 0 days in winter time but id say good avarage or 20 degrees if its really that cold we probly wouldent get out in the bronco anyway. We can tell the top will be great at sheading water and we are familiar with the top gun material as my mom is an upolster. But im conserned about air getting through most of the snapps my mom and i had figured we could sew in velcro between the snapps along the top of bedrail area if that was a source of cold air. We have to do alot of highway driving we live in small town. My heater works great since a rebuilt the box with new seals and core and i always run a 190 stat in all my old cars. We were out and about in the truck awhile back and it was cold and snowing and we had been in the truck so long with the heater blowing the entire dash was hot to the touch! LOL Not enough to damage anything but you dident want to be touching it for long.

ChrisC74

We have had a warm winter here in GA so I can only give you a limited review. I have the BC top and have been driving it on days in the low 40's WITH NO HEAT and have been fine. I have a leaking heater core so I have it clamped off right now. I get enough radient heat coming up through the floor from the dual exhaust to keep the cab warm enough for me. I do not feel any drafts or leaking wind around the snap in windows or back. With a working heater i would not hesitate to drive in 20 degree weather.

I do drive it 65MPH and do not feel a draft or air coming in around the snaps. I am getting crazy wind noise at the front that I am not used to b/c for the most part I am used to running the top with no windows or back. The noise all all started when I snapped in the windows but I do not blame the top - I believe all of my leaks are around the doors and have always been there but did not come in to play with windows open.

I am happy with it but will be working to reduce the noise.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
The Top is great, let some folks who have it chime in on their experience, But I would "think" that it would be good and you'd have that flexibility to remove when you want.

or you can do like a lot of others, Take that hard top "off" and Put it back on, Once a year lol ;)

OP
OP
matts460

matts460

Thanks guys. Hopfully more will chime in on this. Seems theres not much info on soft tops in genral being used in winter time. We sure like the look of the BC soft top looks like a hard top but with somewhat of a troop carrier flare. LOL

ChrisC74

Yeah - I liked the look also. My plan had been to pull it in winter and put on the hard top but I do not see any reason to do so now. Summer the sides and back stay off and the top keeps the sun off of my head...

I can add that the windows snap in so tight that it made me think of having a set of black sunbrella snap in panels made for summer use (no window). Something that I can keep rolled up in back to stick on quickly if it rains while I am out. Thought being that they would stretch a bit making them easier to get on and off. I would not want to take these window panels off and on very much. Very tight / stiff which is good to keep them sealed.

Good luck with your choice.

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
I think Chuck was looking into some insulated liners for it. I don't know how far he got with it, though. Might want to give him a call.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I have had zero snow related problems.

burntfish

Loc.
ouray, co
I have run a soft top and hard top in Colorado winters. Both will do well as long as you keep them from being under 2-3 feet of snow. I think it was warmer with the soft top as the metal hard top seems to be like a freezer in the winter unless its insulated.

Miker

Bronco Guru
I have had zero snow related problems.

Come on up to New Hampsha' 28 inches so far - still snowing----hard.....

Soft top in this mess would be cruel to the top,,,,,

Bronco Biff

Contributor
Come on up to New Hampsha' 28 inches so far - still snowing----hard.....

Soft top in this mess would be cruel to the top,,,,,

Just checking out some video on the snow!! Looks like big fun for the Hearty with and trouble for the un-prepared!!

I have really enjoyed the flexiblity of a Soft top in the warmer months and the tight, flap free warmth and quiet of a mildly insulated hard top in the winter.

OP
OP
matts460

matts460

We are lucky if we get 6-7 inches of snow here and the last two years we have only got 2inchs total its been dry lately. But my bronco lives under a car port so not realy worried about snow just cold weather. i dont want anybody to freeze in the truck.

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
Wyflyer- FL isn't part of the south- doubt they say y'all there. I don't think anyone wants to claim that state ;D

Yeeaah, I'm sitting here in NC. It was 60 yesterday. High 50's and sunny today. Works for me.

73BroncoRanger

I don't think anyone wants to claim that state ;D

think again, haven't found one better, and I've tried my share,there's more redneck south of Dixie living here than other states, my Bronco didn't require any inspection to hit the road like.....achem/cough...(drift off let you fill in the intent)

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I have run a soft top and hard top in Colorado winters. Both will do well as long as you keep them from being under 2-3 feet of snow. I think it was warmer with the soft top as the metal hard top seems to be like a freezer in the winter unless its insulated.

even better if you park it in a garage at night...

Matt_brianna

Loc.
Rapid City
I have the rampage top that i have been running all winter here in Rapid City. I cant see there being that much difference. I drive it every day except when there are 50 mph winds. I rebuilt the heater two winters ago, it a stock setup still. It isnt all that warm when its around zero out but i just put on a hat, the heater keeps my hands and feet warm.