• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

backup light 76 EB

G

Were is the switch on my 76 auto trans. The backup lights were working. Now I have nothing. Checked bulbs. What next? Thanks

JTCamp

Loc.
Austin, Texas
The switch is on the tranny at the point where the shift linkage goes in. Try putting the truck in reverse and moving the shifter slightly up and down to see if you can get the bulbs to come on...that would indicate a bad switch. I don't know if you can adjust the switch. Very easy to replace if you have to.<br><br>John

OP
OP
G

Thanks, I will check it. Is the switch available at most <br>auto parts, common C4?

DPM77

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle, Washington
It is available through Ford, the number has been updated, they quoted me about 68 bucks. I did not try NAPA. Get back to us if you find it out there....<br><br>dpm

JTCamp

Loc.
Austin, Texas
I think I had to get it from Ford, but I can't remember. Maybe someone else here will know more...hint hint.<br><br>

73EXP

Loc.
Richmond, Virginia (Home of Duke's Mayonaise)
Hey-<br>are you talking about the reverse light switch ?( is that called the neutral safety switch or am I confused?) Anyway- it's what makes the white backup lights in the taillights turn on when you're in reverse.. right? it was under the hood, on the column in my old 71 (which was 3 on the tree)- I saw it on the internet about 2 years ago for around 70 bucks which really made me mad- I called around and got one from a local ford truck parts place for under 20, ( maybe lower- it's been awhile) I just remember at the time thinking you could probably make a bundle reselling these- but that was what made me all hot in the first place.. If this is the part you are tailking about - eme at windh2o@earthlink.net and I'll make a call for you :)<br><br>A

flint_knapper

BRONCO GOD
Loc.
Harvest, AL
Had to replace mine about 4months ago. I got it JBG<br>paid around 68+ shipping. Easy to do. One thing is to try to adjust it. with the key on, motor Not running put<br>the transmission in R and loosen the 2 nuts that hold it in place. this will allow you to move it around back and forth some. Have some one watching the rev. lights, and when they came on tighten it down in that spot. it can be a little touchy. another thing to look at is the shift rod grommet on the column. If it wears/falls out will give you a fit with the saftey switch. ;)

JTCamp

Loc.
Austin, Texas
[quote author=73EXP link=board=5;threadid=11423;start=0#84256 date=1037770713]<br>Hey-<br>are you talking about the reverse light switch ?( is that called the neutral safety switch or am I confused?) Anyway- it's what makes the white backup lights in the taillights turn on when you're in reverse.. right? it was under the hood, on the column in my old 71 (which was 3 on the tree)- I saw it on the internet about 2 years ago for around 70 bucks which really made me mad- I called around and got one from a local ford truck parts place for under 20, ( maybe lower- it's been awhile) I just remember at the time thinking you could probably make a bundle reselling these- but that was what made me all hot in the first place.. If this is the part you are tailking about - eme at windh2o@earthlink.net and I'll make a call for you :)<br><br>A<br>[/quote]<br><br>Since he has an auto trans, his switch will be on the transmission. The switch controls both the neutral safety feature and the reverse lights. They are more expensive than for a manual trans.<br><br>John

dash8mx

I changed mine about 6 month's ago. I got it from a parts store called auto value or parts america. Cost about 4? dollars and was in a ford box, with ford written all over it. Much cheaper than dealing with a ford parts people and less headache.william in va