• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Baofeng Radios

Mmflpa

Loc.
Philadelphia, PA
I have a Rugged Radio, but I know people who are considering purchasing the idential Baofeng version for basically half the price. The problem is programming them. Is there anyone who has programmed these that can help a few people out? Thanks!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
what a lot of us use at OCBR, simple to program once you know the process

here's what we use

Attachments

• BaoFeng 2 Way Programming.jpg
    BaoFeng 2 Way Programming.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 278

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Happy w/mine for the price and you can get ear piece too

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I have a Rugged Radio, but I know people who are considering purchasing the idential Baofeng version for basically half the price. The problem is programming them. Is there anyone who has programmed these that can help a few people out? Thanks!

SpareParts on here, or yeller, or MuddFord

Not done the actual programming yet

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I have my Baofeng also programmed to one of the FRS frequencies. Makes for a much better and higher quality FRS radio when others in the group only have FRS.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have the Baofeng BF-F8HP.[/QUOTE

That's what I have as well, good radio. I just ordered a bigger battery for mine, it's coming from China for about $9, give it a try.

I just put a Rugged radio in the Bronco, using that sheet that Super Dave posted makes it easier to get them both on the same channel.

snipes243

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntersville, NC
I have 3 of the uv-5r radios they work great, battery last pretty long. Way better that the CB. I use the Chirp software to program them its pretty easy. honestly follow youtube, the hardest part is getting the driver to work.

CA Monkey

Loc.
Tracy
My friends and I use BF-F8HP. Works great. A little more range would be nice but not a big deal. When we are on the freeway towing we only get about 2 miles of range. I might try and different antennae if i run out of stuff to buy for the bronco.

Never messed with programming. We just used the channel our buddy was using down in baja.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I have 3 of the uv-5r radios they work great, battery last pretty long. Way better that the CB. I use the Chirp software to program them its pretty easy. honestly follow youtube, the hardest part is getting the driver to work.

Definitely better than CB for our purposes...

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I need to bring this up again. I'm upgrading my baofeng with a 5/8 wave antenna on mine and my dads trucks this year. In prep for OCBR, i'm looking at actually programming my radios rather than just punching in the frequencies. Turns out there are two cables for programming these things: One that works, and one that might work. It is recommended by some guys on youtube to get the cable that costs about 20 bux because it is an authentic cable with the right chip to read/write to the radios, ESPECIALLY for those using mac computers. I learned this this morning, but ordered the cheap cable yesterday. Good luck with it.

I'd also suggest that anyone using these radios look into get the HAM technician license. It appears to me that it's not that hard or expensive. We're talking $15 bux for the test and you might buy a $30 book that tells you what you need to know. And there are practice tests you can do online to get a feel for how well you know your stuff. I'll be getting set up soon to take the test and hopefully be able to get my Grandad's call sign that hasn't been used on air since about 1999.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Why.....?

I need to bring this up again. I'm upgrading my baofeng with a 5/8 wave antenna on mine and my dads trucks this year. In prep for OCBR, i'm looking at actually programming my radios rather than just punching in the frequencies. Turns out there are two cables for programming these things: One that works, and one that might work. It is recommended by some guys on youtube to get the cable that costs about 20 bux because it is an authentic cable with the right chip to read/write to the radios, ESPECIALLY for those using mac computers. I learned this this morning, but ordered the cheap cable yesterday. Good luck with it.

I'd also suggest that anyone using these radios look into get the HAM technician license. It appears to me that it's not that hard or expensive. We're talking $15 bux for the test and you might buy a $30 book that tells you what you need to know. And there are practice tests you can do online to get a feel for how well you know your stuff. I'll be getting set up soon to take the test and hopefully be able to get my Grandad's call sign that hasn't been used on air since about 1999.