• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Battery / electrical problems.

FrankSG

Loc.
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi everyone,

I'm having it an issue with a battery draining and not recharging while driving.
Initially I thought I had a bad battery or it had drained over the winter, so I purchased a new battery and ran it periodically over three weeks. As I was driving it today I had the exact same problem as I did with the older battery.

It seems obvious that the battery is not getting charged while driving. Can anyone direct me as to where I might start looking for the problem or know what it may be. I would appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks in advance.
Frank

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Test voltage across the battery terminals while its running. Should see ~13-14 volts. If it's lower your alternator is suspect.
You can take it to an auto parts store and get it tested.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Voltage regulator was slowly killing a battery on me once. Took forever to figure it out.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
It seems obvious that the battery is not getting charged while driving.
No, that's not obvious. It might be that there's a larger drain while driving than the alternator can supply. Or it might be that the alternator isn't working at all. Or it might be that the battery isn't taking a charge; either because of poor connection, or it's ruined internally.

Don't guess - diagnose. Begin with voltage measurements: key off, key on, engine idling, engine @2KRPM, & headlights/winch/heavy electrical loads on; across the battery posts, across the battery terminals, from the alternator output to its case, & from the ignition switch to the wiper motor (or some other known ground).

Make sure you charge the battery with a 110V charger - not a vehicle. Charge it below 3A for several hours (below 1A could take a day or more).