• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bay Area Media Blasting + build plan

OldStudLeroy74

Hello all! I am diving into my Bronco project after owning it for almost 10 years. I am looking for recommendations for a good media blaster in the Bay Area (Santa Cruz or within a reasonable distance) to facilitate step one. To add some detail on the plans and what I am looking to do, here is my situation and plan:

I am currently stationed in Northwest Florida, the Bronco is an uncut, mostly stock '74 living in Santa Cruz, CA. It has been in the family since about '76 and in my hands since I was in high school. I plan to do it right the first time and keep it mostly original, with basic safety and drivability mods (brakes/steering) and a small lift. I had the 302 rebuilt about a year by a local shop, and installed a roll bar and power steering several years ago. The general outline of the build plan as it stands now is:

1. Tear down while home in CA. Have body media blasted and primed (to try and limit the corrosion once it hits FL).
2. Transport to Florida, source as many parts as I can afford.
3. Separate body from frame and put body in storage.
4. Build rolling chassis (rebuild transmission, transfer case, axles, blast and paint frame, install suspension and fuel/brake lines).
5. Wrap chassis in plastic, re-attach body.
6. Rust removal, body repairs, prep and paint.
7. Re-assemble.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I have searched on the forum and Norcalbroncos but haven't found much in the way of current listings for media blasting in the area.

Thanks!

jeff_gates

There is one in Fremont, I use the one in Belmont, and there is one in south sf, I'm sure there are few in San Jose. Call a few body shops in your area they will give you the 411 on who is good.

OP
OP
O

OldStudLeroy74

Do you have the name of the Fremont one or the Belmont one that you have used? Did you have good results or any issues with that one? I will definitely call around as well. Thanks!

I will get pictures up as soon as I can.

KyddsPly

After it's blasted have them electrostatic epoxy coat it. Should protect from any rust.