• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BC Bronco throttle cable and throttle body...

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
My throttle body doesn't seem to be the same version as the one in the BC Broncos instruction page that came with my throttle cable. I'm pretty sure my throttle body came from an explorer. Mine seems to rotate the opposite direction and has a different stock bracket that the cable attaches to? Anyone else encounter this? Is there another way to mount the BC adapter plate to the TB? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 220

fordtrucksrule

Yes you do have the explorer throttle body what i did was cut off the cable stud and welded the bc arm to the explorer arm. If you would like to talk pm me i will send you my number i actually have two explorer throttle bodes i modified. with good success. I can send you pictures

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Understood. So you had to weld your BC bracket to the throttle body bracket? I was under the impression this was a bolt-on upgrade? A picture of what you did would be great.

mattt

Bronco Guru
You can also do this to turn your Explorer throttle body into a Mustang style cable hook up as detailed in the tech article here.... http://classicbroncos.com/tech/how-to-convert-a-mustang-55mm-throttle-body-to-65mm-explorer-tb

I did one about a year ago and it was pretty easy. Took longer to get to the junkyard to scrounge up a Mustang throttle lever, than to put it on the Explorer throttle body. You don't need to limit yourself to an actual Mustang throttle lever, pretty much every Ford 5.0 car uses that same throttle lever on the bottom of the throttle body. Once you convert your Explorer TB, the rest of the parts should bolt on then.

With all that being said....I still prefer the Mustang throttle cable, & cable bracket.....very easy to source the parts and lock solid with no adjustment dickin' around that the aftermarket stuff requires.

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks Mattt. Hadn't seen that article yet. Was at the local pic-a-part the other day and there were a few mustangs so I should be good. Will try for the bracket/cable too.

mattt

Bronco Guru
Thanks Mattt. Hadn't seen that article yet. Was at the local pic-a-part the other day and there were a few mustangs so I should be good. Will try for the bracket/cable too.

No prob. Don't limit your search for the throttle body lever to Mustangs. Any 5.0 sedan uses the same lever. You basically have to destroy the throttle body that you pull the lever off of, one of two ways. Either take the screws out of the throttle blade(butterfly) and remove the throttle shaft from the bottom, or take a battery op. grinder in with you and grind the mushroom crimp off the bottom of the throttle shaft to release the throttle lever(same basic thing you do with the Explorer.

Cable & cable bracket should be from Mustang 5.0. Brian Wickert detailed how to make the Mustang 5.0 cable work in the original "Inject Your Old Horse" EFI write up. Easy, peasy. If you can't find that part of the write up, I may be able to.

strokers

Viper I remember another one of those wheels you did for a mustang setup (I think ). But can't find it

mattt

Bronco Guru
Yeah....that's easy if you want to use the BC cable & bracket....I didn't. For how many threads come up here every 4-5 weeks about problems setting up the BC cable & bracket, I'm happy I went with the factory stuff. Never an issue with the factory parts. Has anyone else noticed the recurring theme (or thread if you will) on the BC cable & bracket?

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Decided to try the "viper-mod" on the BC bracket before I went to the mustang bracket. After some slight modifications the pedal feel isn't very smooth. The cable doesn't have any sharp bends and doesn't appear to be binding anywhere? Maybe a stronger spring? I know I need a large washer underneath the pulley to keep the cable from falling off. I'm open to suggestions on how to make this a smoother feeling system.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 113
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 103
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 104

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Decided to try the "viper-mod" on the BC bracket before I went to the mustang bracket. After some slight modifications the pedal feel isn't very smooth. The cable doesn't have any sharp bends and doesn't appear to be binding anywhere? Maybe a stronger spring? I know I need a large washer underneath the pulley to keep the cable from falling off. I'm open to suggestions on how to make this a smoother feeling system.

I leave the BC spring on the cable and always add another spring like yours. Your spring looks like it may be completely collapsed at idle. I'd take a couple coils out of it to stretch it a little.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Yeah....that's easy if you want to use the BC cable & bracket....I didn't. For how many threads come up here every 4-5 weeks about problems setting up the BC cable & bracket, I'm happy I went with the factory stuff. Never an issue with the factory parts. Has anyone else noticed the recurring theme (or thread if you will) on the BC cable & bracket?

Have you seen the title of this thread?

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks Viper. I switched out the spring to a slightly shorter and stronger one and that made a big difference. Now I just have to extend my connector for the idle air bypass. It's too short when I swap the end 180 degrees to get out of the way for the bracket. Looks like I'm going have to cut/extend it.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Thanks Viper. I switched out the spring to a slightly shorter and stronger one and that made a big difference. Now I just have to extend my connector for the idle air bypass. It's too short when I swap the end 180 degrees to get out of the way for the bracket. Looks like I'm going have to cut/extend it.

Some cars of that era had a straight connector on the IAB. I think I pulled one from a crown vic. Do not flip the entire IAB 180 degrees because it probably won't work right. RJM/RF harness has always made that pigtail too short.

mattt

Bronco Guru
Have you seen the title of this thread?

Yep, sure did....and my first reply was pointing kholding to the tech thread that shows how to modify an exploder tb to emulate a Mustang on the throttle lever end. If I'm not mistaken, BC made this kit to work with the typical 5.0, Mustang throttle lever. I forgot about having seen your setup with the wheel in the past. I don't think the BC cable kit works on the exploder throttle arm without your invention. You know the say....necessity is the mother of all invention. :cool:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Yep, sure did....and my first reply was pointing kholding to the tech thread that shows how to modify an exploder tb to emulate a Mustang on the throttle lever end. If I'm not mistaken, BC made this kit to work with the typical 5.0, Mustang throttle lever. I forgot about having seen your setup with the wheel in the past. I don't think the BC cable kit works on the exploder throttle arm without your invention. You know the say....necessity is the mother of all invention. :cool:

I first used the BC kit on my explorer TB after adding the mustang lever to it, then I added the wheel. On the 2nd explorer TB I rigged I realized the mustang lever was just extra work with no gain.

mattt

Bronco Guru
I first used the BC kit on my explorer TB after adding the mustang lever to it, then I added the wheel. On the 2nd explorer TB I rigged I realized the mustang lever was just extra work with no gain.

I like how you can adjust the pedal feel(touchy off idle)with the wheel mod. Any chance it could be made to work with the Mustang factory cable? I'd think not given how the Mustang cable end is at the throttle lever, but hey, no hurt in asking.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I like how you can adjust the pedal feel(touchy off idle)with the wheel mod. Any chance it could be made to work with the Mustang factory cable? I'd think not given how the Mustang cable end is at the throttle lever, but hey, no hurt in asking.

I don't remember what the mustang cable looks like but I'm sure something could be done with it.