• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BC Broncos AR-15 Radius Arm Installation Help

wookie650

I know there was just a mass buy for these so there might be a lot of people with these same questions soon. I have a set of the stock length BC Broncos radius arms and I am having trouble figuring out the best way to install and get the caster I need.

Background: I am doing a complete frame up rebuild and have only the suspension and frame right now. body, drive train, etc.. or off. Rear springs are mounted. Suspension is Cage 3.5 springs front and rear. I have 2 degree bushings and 7 degree bushing on hand.

Here is my problem. When I installed the 2 degree bushing and had the radius arm adjusted for maximum caster. I was at 0 degrees caster once everything was installed on the frame. Is this because the frame is not weighed down yet? I was afraid I would not be able to get enough caster since the radius arms were already adjusted to the maximum so I order the 7 degree bushing. When I installed the 7 degree C bushings one radius arm sits 2" higher than the other (The old Bronco Lean) when I have the axle and radius arms on the ground.

Here's the questions: Do I need to try and fix the "Bronco Lean" or could I adjust the caster on each side independently with the adjustment in the radius arm? The problem I see with adjusting each side is that because of where the pivot point is on the radius arm this will push the axle out further forward on one side. I thought about adjusting the Heim joint on one side to correct this but there is not enough threads behind the nut to do so.

Does it matter if the axle is square with the frame? The way I see it the steering can be adjusted to drive straight. Hopefully this is all making sense.

Chuck?

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not exactly an answer to your question but I have one of the first sets he made. I eyeballed mine and adjusted the front level, them took it to an alignment shop and checked it. It was so close we left it alone.

OP
OP
W

wookie650

Toddpole - I want to do it right. I am just not sure what that means yet.

JWMcCrary - When you say adjusted level, does that mean you adjusted each side to get the same caster? If the adjustments are different one side of the axle will be pushed out forward more than the other. I want to do it right. I am just not sure what that means yet.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I adjusted bronco level, meaning it had no lean, the difference in the arm adjustment counters the bushings not being lined up exactly the same from one side to the other, when you get it right the axle will be close enough that you won't notice it being pushed in or out more on one side. At least it worked that way for me.

OP
OP
W

wookie650

Thanks for the help. I think I will use the 7 degree bushing and get them set as best as possible. Then fine tune with the radius arm adjustment. I have put this front together about 7 times now. I am hoping it won't take that many tries to get it right.