• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BC Broncos ceramic headers install??

FrankSG

Loc.
Pittsburgh, PA
I was installing my new headers on my rig today. While they slid in with no problems. The problem I did have was being able to fit a socket on some of the bolts that were supplied. While I used a box wrench to tighten some of them, there was absolutely no way to torque them down.

Has anyone installed them, and if so did you have the same issue?

Thanks in advance.
Frank

Vincen

Contributor
Yeah I had the same issue. I went with a thin wall socket and box end wrench

OP
OP
FrankSG

FrankSG

Loc.
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks...that's what I thought. I don't understand how they can specify a torque value, and then not provide the clearance for a socket. Oh well.

rtj731

found out the hard way, you will still have to periodically check them as they will loosen up. I use a 3/8 open/box wrench and a 1" piece of pipe (cheater bar) to tighten them. As to torque values, maybe if you had the engine on a stand, impossible in the engine bay.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I used allen head screws also and its DANG tight.... Pass side rear...tight...

I had a hard time finding them in the length needed get maximum thread contact way into the hole on the alum Trick Flow heads...almost 1/2" longer than the header bolts I removed from my stock 351W heads. I wanted maximum thread engagement... much less chance of pulling threads...

Last edited:

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
I installed mine on the 351 while in a stand out of the truck and you still can't get a socket on them all...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We sell the State-8 stuff for the headers, and with some setups you'll even have to modify one or two of the lock-rings (a small amount of grinding) to clearance them for the header tubes. If you ever have bolts loosening up, it's $18.00 well spent.
They're both hex and Allen head in the same bolt, so you have the option of whichever works best (relatively speaking...). You can also put an Allen socket on a torque wrench for most, but there always seem to be some that resist even the most concerted effort.

In an effort to keep the bends right out of the ports to a minimum, the necessary curves gradual and maximize primary tube size, some of the header manufacturers seem to have leaned more to performance than convenience.

Sorry 'bout that.:p

Paul

nickgp

Bronco Guru
If clearance on the fasteners is an issue take your favorite wrench to the bench grinder. Also, using the soft easily compressible aluminum header gaskets makes it easier to get a good seal with out going crazy on the bolts.

71broncman

Loc.
Woodland Park, Co
If clearance on the fasteners is an issue take your favorite wrench to the bench grinder. Also, using the soft easily compressible aluminum header gaskets makes it easier to get a good seal with out going crazy on the bolts.

^^^ This. I use the dead soft aluminum on mine , tightened them as well as I could and after retightening about a month later haven't had to mess with them for 10 years or so.

Mark.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I recall my old Duff headers came with instructions.
I was about 24....it was '93. I was cock sure I could install a set of headers without any dang instructions.
While I cussed at those headers my girlfriend and now wife says ya'know the instructions say this and that.
I said, "Whut?".....Really....
Anyway it was something about the order in which you bolted it on. Which ones to do first to allow the needed wiggle room around some of the tubes.
It made a difference. They went on so easy after that. Yes some of the bolts were a little tough to get to but by following their instructions it was much easier.
Those headers are still on the eb and that girlfriend/wife is still in the kitchen.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I tried using my Stage 8 header bolts with my new BC headers but the bolts weren't long enough ...would have used them again on iron heads but no way would I use them on alum heads...not enough thread engagement...

Anyway, I couldn't get enough clearance to get the locking clips to fit on my BCB headers even IF I ordered in a set that were longer...

If you can, Stage 8 is the way to go...before using them and tightening the 3/8" wrench (small headed header bolts) as tight as possible with an open end wrench (nothing else would fit), the headers would be "ticking" and leaking bad at 100 miles EVERY time on my old 3/8" flange Duff headers...finally bought Stage 8 bolts for them back in about '97 and I never touched or tightened them again till I removed them when the aluminum headed strrroker engine I built when in. No joke, 15+ yrs and never touched them! Testimonial right there!! : )

Sure wish I could have fit Stage 8's on my BC's shorty's I have now...

twisted 66

Contributor
Loc.
Norcal-Tracy
I had a problem with my driver side because one of the tubes on one side of the tube was not dimpled but all other tubes were. I called B.C and told them the problem and 4 headers later I ended up with the same problem. I have seen pictures and heard from others on this site stating all of their B.C header tuber are dimpled. So it is a quality control thing I guess why on earth would you dimple all of the tubes except for one tube on one side. I was told everything from it was a mistake, we have had similar problems, we only dimple tubes that turn into the ports from B.C & JBA to that is the way they come . For the money they cost there should be no problems like that. What I think is going on is that they have a batch all with that one tube not dimpled and do not want to eat them to produce ones with all tubes dimpled.

twisted 66

Contributor
Loc.
Norcal-Tracy
That is the one I started to see what everybody had. I did not update it with the final outcome of the fiasco but did here basically.