• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BC Broncos headers, AOD trans, & trans cooler lines interference?

mattt

Bronco Guru
BC Broncos headers collector pipe, & AOD trans cooler lines interference?

Anyone have the combo of BC Broncos headers & an AOD? I installed cooler hard lines out of the trans today and just held the collector flange up to the tail of the header...pretty close between collector pipe and trans lines. It might work, but I figured I'd see if anyone has BTDT and found an interference problem. I'm using factory Explorer 5.0 cooler lines because the bends are so damn close to being perfect in an EB.

It may work, but I can't tell what angle the collector pipe will end up at since I have no exhaust yet....getting everything else buttoned up before taking it in to exhaust shop. If it does clear and not end up with the collector pipe resting on the trans cooler lines, they will be close, which leads me to my next question. I know Earls makes heat insulation sleeve for rubber hose(used it in the past), I'd guess there is also one for steel hard line.....any suggestions on a good one?

It seems like a lot of heat from the exhaust would pass right into the trans cooler lines, in effect negating much of the cooler's effect.....right? This is something I should concern myself with, right?

Just want to make sure I'm not sweating the petty stuff and petting the sweaty stuff......

skifast

Loc.
Sandhills, NC
Matt,

I had that same combo before I went the ZF route. I removed the cooler lines bent new ones and installed a similar heat shield around them all the way to the trans cooler. Used a coat hanger as a template and spent some time doing a lot of test fitting. Seemed to work well.
If all you do is heat shield the trans cooler lines I don't know if you would have problems or not? I know the spacing on mine was under half an inch and that is why I bent new ones.

Tim

Broncobowsher

Total hack
When I did the 4R70W I had issues with cooler lines as well. Namely I didn't have any hard lines to start with as a template and I already had the engine and trans in the Bronco. What I did was run hard line on top of the passenger side frame rail, was protected and away from the exhaust. That did mean I needed some short sections of flex line between the trans and the frame mounted hard line. Worked out very nice. Better then running 15 feet of rubber line.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
Matt,

I had that same combo before I went the ZF route. I removed the cooler lines bent new ones and installed a similar heat shield around them all the way to the trans cooler. Used a coat hanger as a template and spent some time doing a lot of test fitting. Seemed to work well.
If all you do is heat shield the trans cooler lines I don't know if you would have problems or not? I know the spacing on mine was under half an inch and that is why I bent new ones.

Tim

I looked a little further and the closeness is mostly with the top line which I believe is the out from the trans to the cooler. I think it would be worse if it were the other way around.

What did you use for a heat shield on when you had this combo?

Now that you've gone ZF, do you have your old re-bent lines sitting around waiting to go away? ;)

skifast

Loc.
Sandhills, NC
The lines went away quite awhile ago.... the heat shield was a product I picked up at Advance Auto. Kind of an aluminum backed tape? I cannot remember the brand name.
In the end the closest the lines were to the header was about 3 inches. It just took awhile, maybe 2 hours.
Spend your money on a good tubing bender. In the money I have spent on the three I have, I could have bought a far better one that would have worked for fuel line, cooler lines and brake lines. Oh well live and learn.