• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BC Broncos Malotte Hood.......

Trigger

I bought the Malotte hood from BC's. Great looking hood, looks stock but with the raised center it looks a bit beefier. Mine is not mounted yet, it's just sitting on the Bronco, that's why it looks a little low.
1057015212_P6300144.jpg

1057015243_P6300143.jpg

Trigger

Bluntman

Loc.
Memphis TN
Really super nice bronco, Trigger! You're really putting alot of work into it; I wish I could get mine looking like that. I also like the pink tri-cycle in the background of the second picture

Dusty

Bronco Guru
I have that hood and yes it is VERY sturdy. The glass is very thick and it has stiffeners embedded in the resin. Its built so stout that I doubt there is any weight savings vs. a steel hood. I like the stock lines of it too. The vent slots are indented so if you wanted to cut them out it would be easy to do so and keep them looking stock, rather than drilling 5 holes with a hole saw like some folks do. There is a built up area under the front lip to mount the stock hood latch if you want to use it. I cut that part off and used hood pins. Get some BC hood shocks to go with it and you've got a sweet hood setup.

Dusty

Trigger

Thanks Guys. It is very sturdy and heavy for a glass hood. I didn't get it for weight savings, my old hood had some rust right in the front wrap, don't know how it got there, but I didn't feel like doing that much work to fix it. I'm going to get the hood shocks, stiffening kit and remote hood latch from BC when I mount it.
Trigger

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
[quote author=Dusty link=board=5;threadid=19440;start=0#msg149240 date=1057020320]
Its built so stout that I doubt there is any weight savings vs. a steel hood. Get some BC hood shocks to go with it and you've got a sweet hood setup.
[/quote]

Bad news is....

I had that hood and loved it....until I put those hood shocks on it. The hood is SO heavy that when it is in the raised position it will bend at the point where the shock is connected. So, when I closed the hood it was bent upwards 1"....right in the middle.

cal

Loc.
Raleigh, NC
For the hood shocks...doesn't he sell a brace/bracket that will disperse the load over a wider area? Will it bend if you use the "stiffeners?"

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
I have a fiberglass hood which has Wooden rods running along the sides, and across the front. Would that be strong enough to mount a set of hood shocks to?

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Wow I wonder if LSUPete's setup had something wrong, maybe too-stiff shocks or a defective hood or something? I haven't had any of those problems with mine. The hood shocks have just enough power to lift the hood without putting hardly any strain on it. My hood isn't flexing or weakening at all in the middle. When you specify that you want the hood shock kit for a fiberglass hood, the hood mounting brackets come as part of a pair of stiffening straps. I put mine on with the supplied epoxy. One of them popped off at Hungry Valley last year so my freind Jerry Garner helped me glass them into the hood. No problems since.

Dusty

Trigger

[quote author=Dusty link=board=5;threadid=19440;start=0#msg149345 date=1057032853]
When you specify that you want the hood shock kit for a fiberglass hood, the hood mounting brackets come as part of a pair of stiffening straps.
Dusty
[/quote] :-[

Those are the pieces I'm talking about. It seems to me that they would work great. Hopefully Pete's was a rare and isolated case. I would hate to have mine break after this much time and work. Thanks for mentioning the glassing in of the brackets, I'll go that route, seems like that would be alot stronger.
Trigger
Trigger

Trigger

[quote author=Bluntman link=board=5;threadid=19440;start=0#msg149210 date=1057016342]
Really super nice bronco, Trigger! You're really putting alot of work into it; I wish I could get mine looking like that. I also like the pink tri-cycle in the background of the second picture
[/quote]

Your's will be there before you know it. One of the most rewarding projects I've gotten to do in a long time. My boy comes out and I get to explain to him how stuff works, engine, tranny, wiring, etc... It's awesome!!!! He even told me that I'm building the nicest Bronco He's ever seen (in his short 5 years) Even though that's only true in his eyes, I never walked prouder than that moment.
Trigger

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Guys,

I installed the hood shock kit for fiberglass hoods with the braces and epoxy method. Trust me, I had a LOT of work into this and it pissed me off when I realized what the problem was. I took photos and sent them to Chuck....he was as surprised as I was. Maybe when Dusty had is fiberglassed in it provided more support for those brackets.....who knows. But, if I left the hood up for ten minutes, it would flex. I finally just removed the damn things and went back to the prop rod.....which I really hated. My recommendation is to stick with the metal hood and use the hood shocks. I love the hood and scoop that I'm running now.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
LSUpete, as I recall you left your hood up for several hours when it warped. I can't see that having anything to do with the hood warping, I only mention it because it is the only thing diff. that I can see from here than everyone else that has the fiberglass hood shocks. The hood shocks/stiffeners even work with the very thin hoods that do not have built in braces and yours is the only one that I have heard of that warped. Also I recall you saying that the warp goes away after being down for a while, is that true? I don't see why it would with the built in stiffener and the one that came with the shocks. I am still surprised/do not understand why.

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
[quote author=chuck link=board=5;threadid=19440;start=0#msg149454 date=1057072012]
LSUpete, as I recall you left your hood up for several hours when it warped. I can't see that having anything to do with the hood warping, I only mention it because it is the only thing diff. that I can see from here than everyone else that has the fiberglass hood shocks. The hood shocks/stiffeners even work with the very thin hoods that do not have built in braces and yours is the only one that I have heard of that warped. Also I recall you saying that the warp goes away after being down for a while, is that true? I don't see why it would with the built in stiffener and the one that came with the shocks. I am still surprised/do not understand why.
[/quote]

Chuck,

You remember those photos I sent don't you?

It would flex back a little overnight, but not all the way. To get it back to the original profile, I had to weigh the hood down. After that, I removed the shocks. I was left with that solution, because there was no way Malotte would have taken it back after I had painted the hood and drilled holes for hood pins. Trust me, I am the one who regrets this the most and wish I could provide a solution.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I do remember the pictures and believe everything you said I just do not know why. I think they used wood as the stiffener, I wonder if it could be warping in the heat? That could explain why it returns to normal but not why only yours. The new Malotte hood has fiberglass ribs instead of the wood strips.

OP
OP
N

nickmyron

Loc.
Tigard, OR
Wow those pics look sweet!

I do have one question..........

I am gonna put a 351W in w/ a Edelbrock Air Gap intake, (not sure what carb)..............

How much clearence do you think i will have with that hood for an Air Filter? I want to put in a K&N but dont know how much clearence ill have........

Nick~

Dusty

Bronco Guru
[quote author=chuck link=board=5;threadid=19440;start=15#msg149488 date=1057080983]
I do remember the pictures and believe everything you said I just do not know why. I think they used wood as the stiffener, I wonder if it could be warping in the heat? That could explain why it returns to normal but not why only yours. The new Malotte hood has fiberglass ribs instead of the wood strips.
[/quote]

On mine, I had the hood up, on the hoodshocks, for MONTHS while I was first building it. This includes inland southern california summer temperatures, cooped up inside my detached garage all day, where temperatures were probably well over 100 for days on end. And yeah, my hood has the wooden stiffeners, and it never bent or warped like LSUPete's did. I glassed the stiffeners in way later than that, after I had already been driving the rig for several months.

Dusty