• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

bead locks, double?

joe

Bronco Guru
do you guys that run bead locks just put them on the outside of the rim or inside also? If outside only do you have any probolems loosing the bead on the inside with extreemly low air preasure? thanks for any input.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
If you want double locks, look for a H1 style.

Doing bolt-on / weld-on inner and outers is a booger to say the least. You have to get the inner bead over both edges of the rim. Oof, I wouldn't want to do that at home.

You'll knock the outer bead off 19 times before you finally knock off the inner that last time. It's just not really worth it to do the inner most of the time, just not necessary for how infrequently it will save you.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Running single-lock Champions on my 17" 39.5 IROKS..as low as 4.5 psi..and nary an issue yet. I've since stopped running that low on the severe rocks due to concerns about cutting a sidewall..and usually stick with 6-7 psi in most cases.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
keep in mind if you run inner bead locks you'll have to run tims large enough to clear the brake calipers.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I've run mine don to 1 or 2 psi with just the outer one and it's held the inner bead. I normally only run it down to 8 psi though because the Iroks I run will fold clear over the beadlock at 4 psi. (Which is what I originally was using) It cost me $230 last summer when I pinched the tire between a rock and the beadlock. (Put a 3" gash in the side) The inner bead will pack mud and sand in it as well if it's too low in those types of terrain. I cleaned an 1/8" layer of hard packed mud off my inner bead (between the tire and wheel) a few months ago from one year of use. (The tire was leaking because of it)

OP
OP
joe

joe

Bronco Guru
thanks, I'm going the economy route and buying the weld on type. they say its a pain but I can get them for around 50 bucks and need to budget.:mad: budgeting sucks!

any good sugestions on centering these on the rims. thought about mounting them on the truck, try to find true center then tacking to get a spin ballance before welding.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
joe said:
thanks, I'm going the economy route and buying the weld on type. they say its a pain but I can get them for around 50 bucks and need to budget.:mad: budgeting sucks!

any good sugestions on centering these on the rims. thought about mounting them on the truck, try to find true center then tacking to get a spin ballance before welding.
They should sit right down in the bead and self center. Your going to have a harder time with the tire itself than anything.

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Before I got my H1 double beads on, the only time I ever lost an inside bead was when I lost the outter first, then the inner went. So if you can prvent the outter from coming off, I think you'll be ok 95% of the time. I am just Mr. overkill, so I wanted the double beadlock. Now I never have to worry about again. ;D

Mikeg23

Loc.
Greenwood, IN
I just recently got two Allied beadlocks for my Bronco and have only got the chance to run them once so I can't tell you anything about the inner bead. However, you may want to look into the new staun bead locks. After waiting as long as I did to get my wheels I now wish I would have gone with the stauns.

UNCLEBEN

Loc.
Boise, Id
X 2 on the STAUNs

I am planning to go that route as soon as I can save the $$ since they lock both beads and also work as a run flat.

I also like that they are basicaly invisable.