• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bed floor pan repair

jdominguez

Loc.
San Diego
I am in the process of doing a new cage, and when I pulled up the carpet I found the original owner had covered two 6" x 6" holes in the floor pan with plywood.

What advise can you share on reparing this as I plan to rhino line in about 3 weeks after the custom cage is fabbed up. Go for a full steel floor pan replacement like the one sold by wild horses, do sheetmetal repair myself and seal over it, have a professional do it? I will add a picture shortly.

Thanks for your help.

OP
OP
jdominguez

jdominguez

Loc.
San Diego
Here is a picture, there are actually a total of 4 holes this same size in the bed area. The other two are about 3 ft forward same width apart.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 111

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I had similar issues and located a bed someone had removed. I cut a piece big enough and welded it in. I'll find pics and post them later.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Here's the link. It's not the prettiest repair, but after I completely stripped the bed and grinded the welds down, you could hardly tell. Plus, like you, I am having a bedliner sprayed in and you won't even see the difference. Good luck!

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205898

Last edited:

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Depends on what shape the rest of the bed is in, if its solid everwhere except the holes just go to junkyard and cut out a piece of bed large enough from a truck to patch the holes. If you can use a cutoff wheel and spot weld just do it yourself, dont be too concerned about making the welds pretty just as long as it sticks then clean it up with grinder, once its lined you will never know it was replaced.

***** If you cut out a piece from a truck just make sure the gas tank and lines are clear from where you will be cutting. Same goes for working on the Bronco, be carful when welding and grinding, I would remove the tank just to be safe

OP
OP
jdominguez

jdominguez

Loc.
San Diego
Thanks guys, I had someone PM me who actually has a few sections of bed pan that I am going to buy from him and do just as you mentioned. The rest of the bed is in perfect shape, zero rust on this thing and since its going to be covered with rhino lining my welds should be just fine after cleaning them up with a grinder.