• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bent frame?

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Took some measurements on the 75 because it looked like it had a nasty case of the bronco lean and I find that the passenger side of the frame is at least a .5" higher than the drivers side rear. They were measured from the same spot, Checked the front end of the frame and it is spot on. Any easy way to correct this without taking it to a body shop??

thanks Ben

broncomanbrad

Loc.
Roseau, MN
Are you sure the frame is bent? I would think it could be a million different things. Your spring on one side might be compressed, the tires might be more inflated, or...... someone else might chime in and tell me I'm wrong.

BlackHorse

The EB frame is stout, it would take a good impact to bend one. Or it could have been friday when yours was pidgin poop welded at the Ford plant ;D

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Bent Frame

Well yeah I agree it's stout and I haven't been hard on it but the trucks are over 25yrs old and I am not the first owner so who knows? The suspension is all new as well as the body lift and bushings. 3.5 lift with Cage arms. The front is spot on but the rear is off. I haven't had a chance to wheel the snot out of it, might help it? might not? I am up for any suggestions to check.

thanks Ben

A&Mbronco

Loc.
Houston,TX
where did you take your measurements? From frame to ground? Frame to body???? I know on mine my bronco lean is because the body supports have caved in enough to make the driver side about 1" lower

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Bent frame

I took measurements from the bottom of the frame to the floor in several places. My body mounts are new and all mounting points were checked out when I installed the body lift and such.

Ben

scottmcwms

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
I have the same problem. It will be interesting to see what some ideas everyone has. Right now my Bronco is completely "unloaded" meaning it is just a tub on the chassis. No seats, top, windshield, doors, etc... and my ground to body measurements are all over the place.
Front ground to frame horns have a 3/4" difference.
Rear ground to frame horns have a 3/4" difference.
Ground to top of door hinge post have a 2" difference.
Ground to top of rear quarter corners have a 1 1/4" difference.
My body mounts are brand new WH 1" body lift mounts. They all measured the same. All measurements were taken on my garage floor so I know it is a fairly smooth/flat surface. Everything is higher on the passenger's side.

Any ideas? Can Bronco lean affect the front as well as the rear?

Scott

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Bent Frame

Scott I wouldn't worry to much till you get it on the ground and have driven a bit. I have seen quite a bit of those measurements settle down with a little road time beleive it or not. Purposely only checked from the frame to the ground because its not uncommon to have some good variances from side to side when checking the body from the ground. I guess I need to go back and read the ole writeup on the bronco lean and see what they had before they fixed it.

Ben

carnage351

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
What you need to do is take the suspension out of the equation. Jack up your eb and place the frame on jackstands. you will either need really tall jackstand or take the tires off. If you do this on level ground and with 4 equal height jack stands, then your mesurements should be good.

But mesuring from the body to frame or from frame to ground with the truck on the suspension will not tell you much.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
I'm thinking that the floor might also have a lot to do with this. It is not a perfect surface. Even in a really nice mechanics shop, there is a lot of uneven-ness ( %) ) in floors.