• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best 1/2 impact wrench

joshua

Contributor
So which one?? I was dumb and paid 100 for a Northern brand and it craped out after three uses!!!

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
I've been through several other brands, including Snap On.
I'll never buy anything but IR

11wnb

You can't go wrong with Ingersoll-Rand. I've had mine for more than ten years.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
I'd agree with IR, but I was given a 3 setting Craftsman heavy duty that has been going for about 6 years now and thoroughly abused. IR "may" have made it.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I usually don't recommend HF for tools but they sell a 1/2" impact that is awesome - it's called the "Earthquake". It's usually $89-$99 but sometimes it's on sale for less and if you have a 20% off coupon, even cheaper. And it's really powerful. Here's a link.

image_88.jpg

kaw550

Bronco Guru
I have the earthquake. It works pretty good. I bought it on sale and had the 20% coupon.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I had the IR Titanium when they first came out (long been stolen since then) but it was a damn good impact... much better than the Husky and craftsman I have now...%)

gpete

I usually don't recommend HF for tools but they sell a 1/2" impact that is awesome - it's called the "Earthquake". It's usually $89-$99 but sometimes it's on sale for less and if you have a 20% off coupon, even cheaper. And it's really powerful. Here's a link.

image_88.jpg
I have the same one from Harbor Freight with the coupon it was good value for money. Good for any entry level mechanic working on heavy diesel trucks and buses.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Between my personal stuff and what we have at work I have ran just about everything.
Although I own a Snap-on top of the line (at the time I got it). If I were buying a good impact for myself today it would be the nice IR.

I have a used Matco I got off the Snap-on truck (cheaper that way) that I keep for a trail wrench. But If I didn't have that probably something from Harbor Freight

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
Thanx guys. I have some impacts to look at. Thanx for ur valuable opinions. Im going to look at tthe IR first

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
I believe IR builds the Mac Tools impact, which I have two of. Works very well and the sound is awesome. I still use the one I bought over twenty years ago and never had a repair on it other than new retainer rings.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
I have an IR, And it is still going strong through all my projects, just lube it before and after use and it will last.

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
My IR 2135Ti is going on 6 years old and it was heavily abused for 4 of those years. I would buy another one tomorrow if this one were to crap out today. They are a bit pricey, but well worth the money.

remi1566

HF impact

hey I have that HF Earthquake 1/2" impact and it works great...used it on my suspension what a difference compared to what I was using...highly recommend it...

Ratch

Contributor
I have a MAC 234 made by IR that I bought 19 years ago. I replaced the anvil 8 years ago due to wear, it would not hold a socket on even with a new ring. If I had a nickle for every lug not that thing pulled off, I would have a lot of nickels. It still works fine, I brought it home to use.
I retired it about 3 years ago with a new snap on magnesium housing wrench, cant remember number off top of my head. Cant hardly beat it, I use it at work to change semi tires. A guy I work with has the IR titanum. He breaks an anvil about twice a year, but we work our stuff hard.