• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best 2 bbl carb to go with for trail use?

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Getting ready to replace the Motorcraft 2100 original 2bbl carb. Was gonna go with the Motorcraft 2100 2bbl again because they are fairly cheap and are supposed to do well off road if you put a fuel regulator in the line. My question is.. does anyone run this setup, and how does it do? any complaints with stalling or sputtering and steep angles? Did you change the float levels, etc..? I want something reliable, affordable, and hopefully stall free if possible without going 4 bbl + intake or Fuel injection. Autozone here has a Holley 2bbl that says it is the 2100 and Champion has a rplacement 2100. anybody know anything about either of these? Are they just remanufactured stock ones? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks Much,

Blue71

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
The motorcraft carbs are great off road. Here's one of the big reasons why.

The jets are located at the bottom center of the float bowl. Other carbs such as my holly have them on the back of the float bowl and spread out to the sides. As you can imagine, at angles it doesn't take much for a jet to suck air.

Other carbs also have problems dumping raw fuel out the vents directly in the intake. The motorcraft carbs don't really have a problem with this.

Float design and mounting location also impact how well a carb performs offroad. Side mounted floats can allow too much fuel to enter the bowl at angles, and then dumps out the vent. Low float levels help prevent this.

Here's a pic of a motor craft. I've highlighted where the jets are on my 2bbl holley.

motorcraft-jets.jpg

ElJefe

Loc.
San Diego
The Holley 2100 2 BBL is basically the front half of a Holley 41XX 4 BBL with all of the shortcomings you have heard about with the 4 BBl's. The best carb IMHO is one of the later 2150's from an early 80's Ford 351, or FSJ with a 360. You will get bigger venturi's as well as great mileage and they can't be beat offroad.

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
I have seen some information that you can get spring loaded needles/floats, bowl baffles and extended vents for a Motorcraft 2100, or some models had these features OEM? Any pics our sources? TIA

ElJefe

Loc.
San Diego
I have a 2150 out of an 83 grand wagoneer in a box that has both. I may be able to get some pics tomorrow if I can get to my storage unit and find it.

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Ok, partial hijack!,

I have a 2100 stock carb. would the later 2150 get me better mileage? I have an RV cam, 30 over boring, 4.11's & Pertronix.

Just curious!

Bill

ElJefe

Loc.
San Diego
MnkyBiz said:
Ok, partial hijack!,

I have a 2100 stock carb. would the later 2150 get me better mileage? I have an RV cam, 30 over boring, 4.11's & Pertronix.

Just curious!

Bill

You may see slightly better mileage but you will definitely see better performance from a well tuned 2150. One of the main differences between the 2100's and the later 2150's is the variable high speed bleed system. The 2100's have a fixed orifice system that is a compromise that tends to run overly rich at high RPM's. The variable bleed in the later system will bleed more air through in proportion to throttle position and engine speed to maintain an accurate mixture through all rpm's. Basically a better running carb.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
My good pal Kurt doesn't seem to have any problems with his Motorcraft 2 barrel. Here's a shot from the Badlands this past March.
IMG_2959.JPG
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Still running like a champ at this angle. Only problem he was having was getting his trans back in gear at this angle. I was watching tranny fluid dump out the vent while he worked on this challenge (don't call the EPA on us %) ) Motorcraft 2 barrel...it works offroad!

This is trailpyscho's favorite hole at the Badlands too. ;) What's up, dude?

OP
OP
Blue71

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for all the info. Do you guys run auto choke, or a manuel choke with the 2100? I can get by cheaper by buying a manuel, but the auto is what is on there now. Have any of you all ever run and overflow tube or something that helps it from sputtering and flooding? Let me know. Any more input is welcome. Alos..anybody know th difference in the carb used on like say a 72 manuel tranny nad a '68 with manuel tranny. I checked on both carbs 2100's and both were for manuel trannys nad the '68 was lik 40 bucks cheaper. Any ideas? Can I run a '68 2100 and save some $$$.

Thanks Much,

Blue71

ElJefe

Loc.
San Diego
The 2100/2150 carbs are probably the simplest carbs out there to rebuild. I wouldn't hesitate to try it, go slow and keep good notes and you could save yourself quite a bit of money. If you don't have a carb to rebuild, you may want to consider getting a 2150 from an early 80's ford or full size jeep. The newer carbs will perform better, get better mileage, boost power, and will have larger throttle bores if you get one off of a 351+ engine. It will drop right onto your 2V manifold. They go for ~$25 bucks used in good condition every day on ebay.

Scott M

Loc.
Baltimore
Pony carb

well, i just got the autolite 2100 from pony. still working out alotta other kinks on the motor but seems OK. for 189 for a rebuild from them, i would say its a good deal, but to buy one outright, i probably woulda stuck w/ the parts store. my issue though was i couldn't identify the right carb b/c it was a donor and it turned out i had one that was from a 289 and too small for my 351w anyways.

fyi, if i understood correctly from Pony, if motorcraft is stamped on the carb it is a 2150. and i think the things prior posts point out about the 2100 are what Pony corrects and modernizes.

i went to manual choke and they also do a real nice setup instead of the parts store POS.
IMHO, 2bbl is good, reliable, simple carb and performs well offroad. get pretty good mileage. you'll lose some power compared to the 4bbl (i think 1/4 mile tests usually show a second or two difference) but get mile or two more a gallon, but w/ gas prices and the cost or replacing manifold... but if you ask 10 folks about what carb and manifold are best, you'll get 11 different answers

Ryans71

Loc.
Milton, Wa
How do you tell the difference between a 2100 & 2150?

I still run a motorcraft two barrel, it seems to do very well off road, and it was easy to rebuild.

I knew a couple of guys a while back that used to run their 4 bbls on the street, then when they wanted to go wheeling, they take out a motorcraft 2 bbl that they carried a cool little wood box, took off the 4 bbl, then put on the 2 bbl. They had the fuel line & pedal linkage configured so they'd come off and go on fairly easy (not sure how).

Ryan.

Scott M

Loc.
Baltimore
i spent a few solid days researching the 2bbl

and came away with very little hard knowledge. all i can tell you is what they folks at pony told me. not sure even what the diff. b/t the 2100 and 2150 are. but i'm pretty sure john told me if motorcraft was stamped on it, it should have been a 2150. however, the covers are interchangeable, so it still could be different. if you search 2100 carb, you should find all the threads from when i was trying to sort it all out about a month or two ago.

fyi. if anybody is interested. i got the 2150 w/ a 1.08 venturi (supposed to be a 289 or 302 carb, i bought it remanned in 92) and complete rebuild kit and non-egr spacer, if anybody is interested. it sat for 5 years and got kinda lacquered so it does need a rebuild, but it was running, just that it was flooding out. you can email me at bronco069@hotmail.com