• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

"Best" Aftermarket Fuel Injection?

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
What I dont understand here is after all is said and done, wouldnt he spend just as much in a ford setup as some of the aftermarket ones?

Not even close - it can be done for well udner $400, and with that you get fuel control, constant air metering, load calculations, timing control, and wide adapadability to modifications. I'll take a MPFI setup over a glorified electric carburator ANY day.

AND, it would be way more difficult installing and tuning ford stuff than the aftermarket stuff. Ive read a lot of good stuff on the msd setup.

That is debatable - the Mustang setups have been supported by the aftermarket and tuning world for nearly 25 years now...

Mass-Flo ~3K
FAST ~4K

Seriously, tons of cash involved!

If I wasn't running factory Ford fuel injection I would be running Propane...
www.gotpropane.com

My father purchased everything he needed from a local forklift shop for under $500 and its pure pleasure to follow him on the trail :D

OP
OP
apathy

apathy

Loc.
West Linn
Ford MPFI

I followed the "how to inject your Bronco" plan, so I have both fuel pumps, the BCB accumulator, Mustang harness, intake & MAF, A9L ECU, etc. To make it a clean install, the harness needs to be stripped, and I have to build an underdash mount for the computer. I need to pull everything out, lay it over the motor and compare connections. My donor motor was pulled from a 1987 Thunderbird. I'm not sure I like the connections on the factory fuel rails. So, it sounds like everything I bought should work on my 302, and it will probably work on the 351 even if I have it stroked.

Stupid question: Where do I go for mail-order tuning changes? Is it just a board that installs in the ECU?

Thanks.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
There is a test port on the back of your PCM - you MAY have to cut the metal case to get at it, I've got one I could sell you already cut, if not it's going up on Corral.

Nearly everything will just clip in, the only thing you may have an issue with are the IAC and TPS stuff, but you can simply cut and modift the harness on the spot to work, or get the sensor for the year of that harness.

IF you need to replace a sensor replace it with whatever year sensor your harness is from - just makes sense.

I originally ran a SD bank fire fuel injection off a 89 Grand Marquis 302 - ran perfect until the 200K+ motor didn't like bouncing off the rev limiter anymore ;D

Then I got a Mustang harness/PCM and put together a 351W with GT40 heads and installed it, and WOW - talk about a power increase!

I've got about 50 hours on it and I'll finish cleaning up the wires, but for my trail simplicity I've got my PCM mounted ina waterproof box on the fender - keeps it warm and dry and accessable.

When I got the new harness and laid it out there was little modifications to make - I had to lengthen the MAF sensor wires as I've got my intake flipped to the drivers side and beyond that I didn't have to touch anything else. I removed the airbag and emissions crap and didn't plug in the EGR, air pump or A/C stuff and it runs like a dream.

OP
OP
apathy

apathy

Loc.
West Linn
simplicity=good!

Thanks for the reassurance, Kyle. That makes perfectly good sense. I've been accumulating parts for this build for a couple of years (of course, that wasn't the original timeline;D ) I'll have to dig out my A9L and take a look at it. I remember a pretty good sized opening in the back, but I assumed the harness connector was also pretty big. Looks like that will be project #1 tomorrow morning.

So, when people talk about a "mail-order tune" where do I go?

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I would check on Corral and see what people have to suggest - I know my local places, no idea for you.