• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Aftermarket rear bumper/tire carrier?

BRB Bronco

Loc.
San Diego
Just want advice. I'm looking at buying soon, and like the plate steel models. I've looked at all I can find online, and just would like some user's input. Thanks.

Added Later : Does anyone have experience with the James Duff Version? Thanks also for the info on Logans, they look solid. Right now I'm leaning toward the Proto Fab front and the Logans Rear.

Last edited:

Entourage

Loc.
Phoenix, Arizona
I made my own Tube style, but I would do a Plate Style from Proto Fab. Bronco Hut in Colorado is making a run to Phoenix next month to visit her Mom and pick-up a load of stuff from ProtoFab. Melissa is bringing me back a assembled (welded) Overhaulin' Style Roll Cage and I think the shipping fees will be gratis. I am not sure where you are at, but to get the bumpers thrown in her order may save a ton of shipping fees.

Read a text earlier this week about some guys in Alabama puting a company together. May wanna do a search.

Best of luck.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Several good ones. I am partial to the Protofab ones...its what I bought...several of the vendors sell them (Jeff's, WH, Toms, etc). Craftsmanship is top notch.

BailieBilt is also a great fabricator/vendor.

There is also a guy based out of Lousiana who makes some super-sweet bumpers at a very reasonable price. I forget his name...but I met him at one of the events at Gray Rock in AL and he was a super cool dude.

A second search turned it up... http://deepsouthfab.net/Bronco/Bronco.html

Good luck with your quest.

ManTruck

Bronco Guru
I have Logans installed on the front and have the rear in my shop to be mounted soon. Very happy with the pricing, quality and look.

Attachments

• Daves 4.JPG
    Daves 4.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 349

70 sport WA

Contributor
X whatever the count is for ProtoFab. Great product, had it for about 5 years now, and dealing with the folks there was real easy.

fablife

Several good ones. I am partial to the Protofab ones...its what I bought...several of the vendors sell them (Jeff's, WH, Toms, etc). Craftsmanship is top notch.

BailieBilt is also a great fabricator/vendor.

There is also a guy based out of Lousiana who makes some super-sweet bumpers at a very reasonable price. I forget his name...but I met him at one of the events at Gray Rock in AL and he was a super cool dude.

A second search turned it up... http://deepsouthfab.net/Bronco/Bronco.html

Good luck with your quest.

thanks Trailpsycho!!
I really like the Logan bumpers too...
I'm still working on a rear to match. actually have a few wanting them with tire carriers..so I gotta get into gear! thanks again!! you making it to the OCBR?? JD

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I'm very partial to Proto Fab products myself, but I'm fairly local, and Mike and his crew have ALWAYS treated me very well! If your like most of us, shipping costs might play into your decision some...

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
Bringing up this older thread to ask a question about the Protofab rear tire carriers. I notice that they utilize heim joints for the swing arm on the tire carrier. How does this compare to the heavy duty spindle that I see so many other 4x4 bumper manufacturers use? It seems that it could be alot of weight suspended on a small tube steel that the bolt runs thru to hold the 2 heims.

VT_Don

I don't see any need for a rear bumper to weight 200+lbs. Nor do I have need for a full size, 33" spare. All that dead weight really adds up including a cage and front brush guard.

I plan to design and fabricate an modular, aluminum, rear bumper. Main part to be channel section with a detachable spare tire mount, Hi-Lift jack mount, and Jerry can mount. For mud drags and such, can easily remove the spare tire mount. For daily driving, carrying an OEM size spare is fine. Other hardware can be mounted for trips.

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
I have a Hanson rear plate bumper that Wayne made in '96 with a double swing out. It has been well tested on rocks and works great towing my military trailer. Research which one has the features you want and what you want to spend, I think most people are happy with whatever they have.