• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best and cheapest place to buy new tie rods?

ebronco66

Loc.
Moody, AL
Looking for any info on where yall think the best and cheapest place to buy a new tie rod setup for my 66? Are the EB vendors the only place to get them? Secondly, what is the best way to determine whether a drop pitman arm is indicated, and what harm would it do to use one if it was not needed?

Thanks in advance

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
I just went to local auto parts store and got new ones for my '68. No shipping involved but it did take a day to get them in, so I guess that was cheapest.

Hoppy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gresham, OR
I just went to local auto parts store and got new ones for my '68. No shipping involved but it did take a day to get them in, so I guess that was cheapest.

shucks sells moog
they seem to do fine. The longer rod took time to get in. I changed it all including the adujster sleeve.

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
Moog is better stuff - still can get at good auto parts stores (napa, car quest). Avoid the chinese crap. For the pitman arm - lifts more than about 2-2 1/2 do ok with stock - more than that and you need to start dealing with dropped pitman arms and track bars. The dropped arm helps keep your steering geometry close to stock without binding the joints with a taller susp. lift. From stock, the track bar and drag link are rougly parallel - as your lift goes up, your track bar becomes too short - same for the drag link - to compensate - you can drop (on the frame end) (or raise on the axle end) the track bar, get a longer/adjustable track bar and for the drag link end, well, you can drop the pitman arm - or with the right bits, lengthen the drag link. The easiest/cheapest route is the dropped pitman arm and track bar mounts. As for using a dropped pitman arm without a lift - might cause issues going the other way - resulting in a drag link that's too long for the drop - perhaps not enough room to adjust/compensate and you end up binding the ball joint going the other way. That's my 2 cents. some of the suspension gurus may have more info or set me straight.

smoked77

Loc.
Columbus, IN
Pitman arm drops....you only need this IF you'r draglink and tracbar are not aligned. I'm running a 5.5" lift and don't need one. It is all based on your set up. I bought the BCBronco's tierod-over kit (not heim joints)...I think they still sell this. It perfectly aligned my trac bar with my draglink on a HP D44.