• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cheapest/Best Place to Buy Wheels & Tires? Question about Paint, also

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
You really have to do one of these things to understand how labor intensive it is. Not even counting the cost of tools to do the job. Doing just one Bronco does not justify the investment and how much time it takes. Not to mention the learning curve.

joshd1971bronco

Loc.
Oklahoma City, OK
Not sure I have a whole lot additional to add except to agree with what everyone else is saying.

A decent suspension lift, with nice riding 11 leaf rear springs is going to cost 700-800 or so. All vendors are going to be similarly priced for similar components.

How much does a paint job cost? How nice do you want it. You can literally spend as little ($200) or as much ($20,000) on a paint job. A nice daily driver paint job could easily be $5000 if you have the shop do the necessary blocking, sanding, body filler, etc.

Rusty floor pans, rockers, etc do take a lot more time than you'd think to replace UNLESS you are very experienced and have all the appropriate tools at your disposal. Or, if you pay a shop to do it, you're gonna pay their hourly rate.

Tires - depends on what kind of tires you want. If you just want some mudders, go to a nearby Farm and Rach store or rural Co-op. But, it sounds like you're wanting nice tires (Nittos or something). Up to you - the places mentioned have the best deals (Tire Rack, Discount Tire).

In GENERAL, you're not going to be able to BUILD one for cheaper than you can BUY ONE, if they were equal. UNLESSSS, you don't put any dollars toward your time and effort. Most people building them are doing it because:
a) they don't have the cash to lay out all at once
b) the joy is sometimes in the journey
c) they want to have complete control over the build and make the decisions, not buy someone elses.

How important are those things to you? You can buy a pretty slick ride for $12-15K and you might be a lot closer time and money wise than buying one for $3K and trying to get it there.

All your questions are really a matter of personal preference. I can tell you that the Bronco Vendors (Wild Horses, Jeffs Bronco Graveyard, Toms Bronco Parts, BC Broncos, etc.) are all great to talk to and will offer you advice. I'd call them.

Cobra11

Contributor
Loc.
West Hollywood, CA
I have to agree with what all these guys are saying also. And unless you're buying this truck from a someone this site who we all know is reputable, i would be VERY WEARY of taking a guys word for it that a 40yr old truck "runs good and is really solid" considering he's trying to sell it to you and make as much money as possible!!

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

"Typical Bronco rust", to me, means (in addition to the floor boards & door posts): rocker panels, inner fenders, lower tailgate, and possibly the cowl below the windshield and the rear quarter panel seams. You'll definitely want to crawl under it to look at everything and, if possible, have him pull up whatever carpet or floor covering there is to check out as much of the floor as is possible from above too.

I'm sure the current owner is sincere in saying it's "mechanically sound" but that means different things to different people...some are OK pumping their brakes to stop, others not so much. Some people are OK retuning a pesky carb every time the weather changes, others not. I think you get my point.

Since you didn't know exactly what sandblasting was, I'm gonna guess that you're metalworking & welding skills aren't up to the task of correctly replacing body parts like door posts, floor boards, or most anything else that doesn't simply bolt on. In that case, then, having a shop do them will be costly unless you have a connection or are able to work out a deal. I wouldn't be surprised if the estimates given earlier were a little light actually. Most body shops that will take on this kind of work (non-insurance related) aren't cheap: expect labor rates to be between $40/hour on the lowest end to over $100/hour on the upper end, not including the parts & paint. My '73 was rear-ended in January and the body work + paint to fix it is going to total over $9K; there was NO rust at all, just good old fashioned body work. If they had to repair rust or cut/replace panels you can bet it would've been much more expensive.

Hope this helps...from the sounds of it you might be putting the cart before the horse here worrying about suspension lifts & sound systems before you have a solid, truly mechanically sound Bronco to start with. Just my opinion.

I didn't mean to come across as impatient. I already planned on this being a gradual process of doing a thing or two at a time until completed after 2-3 years but I never in a million years figured that fixing things would be so costly....I mean, if the floor panels cost $200 and the shop charges $40 per hour for labor, they could work on it for 8 hours and barely top $500. If that and the door posts are all that I need to REPLACE and not repair then I'm not seeing how that could equal $3,000-$8,000? As you said, I have zero experience with body work and no tools to do it with but just my general logic has a hard time understanding how it could take more than a few hours to remove floor panels and weld new ones in. I'm sure it is more work than I imagine, but it sounds like a fairly simple process.

I've asked the owner of the Green/White Bronco I pictured above every question I can think of and he's been more than helpful with info and pics. It is almost impossible to find any local that are in good shape. The ones with little rust or issues at all are always $10k-$15k+ and that just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I know it takes a lot of money to restore them but there just isn't much of a "middle ground" for these where they are in good shape but not perfect. They're either rust buckets with little hope of life for $2k-$3k or decent shape and above for $10k+. I've kept an eye on Ebay for the possibility of getting one shipped to me but it's the same story. I'm completely open to suggestions but that Green/White one is the only decent one I've found that could possibly be fixed. If it is in nice mechanical condition and the only things I have to replace are floor panels and door posts, I can't see how that would be so expensive. It just simply isn't in the budget to buy a $20k-$30k vehicle since I am still in school and working part time. I have a steady income of at least $300-$500 each month that I can invest in the vehicle but you can imagine how long it would take to save up $20k at that rate. I officially sold my car this morning so I need a vehicle soon, but I DO NOT want to rush into anything and end up regretting it. This stuff is stressing me out terribly and I honestly can't figure out what is the best route for me. Please don't think I am doubting you guys or ignoring your suggestions, I am just new to this and learning as I go. It's hard for me to understand why these seemingly small things would cost $10k-$15k to fix, but I could certainly be wrong.

Not sure I have a whole lot additional to add except to agree with what everyone else is saying.

A decent suspension lift, with nice riding 11 leaf rear springs is going to cost 700-800 or so. All vendors are going to be similarly priced for similar components.

How much does a paint job cost? How nice do you want it. You can literally spend as little ($200) or as much ($20,000) on a paint job. A nice daily driver paint job could easily be $5000 if you have the shop do the necessary blocking, sanding, body filler, etc.

Rusty floor pans, rockers, etc do take a lot more time than you'd think to replace UNLESS you are very experienced and have all the appropriate tools at your disposal. Or, if you pay a shop to do it, you're gonna pay their hourly rate.

Tires - depends on what kind of tires you want. If you just want some mudders, go to a nearby Farm and Rach store or rural Co-op. But, it sounds like you're wanting nice tires (Nittos or something). Up to you - the places mentioned have the best deals (Tire Rack, Discount Tire).

In GENERAL, you're not going to be able to BUILD one for cheaper than you can BUY ONE, if they were equal. UNLESSSS, you don't put any dollars toward your time and effort. Most people building them are doing it because:
a) they don't have the cash to lay out all at once
b) the joy is sometimes in the journey
c) they want to have complete control over the build and make the decisions, not buy someone elses.

How important are those things to you? You can buy a pretty slick ride for $12-15K and you might be a lot closer time and money wise than buying one for $3K and trying to get it there.

All your questions are really a matter of personal preference. I can tell you that the Bronco Vendors (Wild Horses, Jeffs Bronco Graveyard, Toms Bronco Parts, BC Broncos, etc.) are all great to talk to and will offer you advice. I'd call them.

My basic financial situation is I have between $3k and $7k ($8k if stretched) to spend on a Bronco right now. So, if I spend $3k, then I will have $4k-$5k at the start to spend on whatever it needs. Obviously, the paint and wheels/tires can wait until after it is in solid condition. I figured around $5k would take care of a decent paint job, Wheels/Tires, and the lift kit. Is that unreasonable? Those were my upgrades if I found a Bronco that didn't need any fixes for $3k-$5k which I quickly learned is impossible.

If the one I posted above is as described and has no mechanical defects, I figured it would take maybe $2k-$3k to fix the few rusted spots and Rhino-Line the floor and underneath to protect it during the winter months. Once again, I guess this is unreasonable?

I am trying to read up on everything I can find and figure out what's the best route. I have my heart set on a Bronco and I know that if I settle for something else, I'm going to be disappointed. I just have to figure out what's the best way to go about this and end up with a nice result without breaking the bank.

Thank You for the help and advice everyone. I really do appreciate it more than you know.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It sounds like you're jumping around a little. Before you rush into buying something it would help if you gave us some additional info so the guru's on this site can give you better feedback. (trust me, I've been there more than once!)

What lift, if any is on there now?
Remember add-a-leafs will make the ride harsh

I'd hate to see you spend time and money on a kit that results in a ride thats not what you had in mind. Continue to ask questions and if possible drive one thats lifted.

My last Bronco had a 2.5" SL and 1" BL, sway bar and street tires and it drove like a modern pickup - took me a few tries to get there but I was finally satisfied.

Hope that helps

what sway bars did you use?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...and that's why my Bronco runs strong and looks like a pile of (s)crap. She's pretty to me and that's all that matters. Paying a professional to do body work is expensive, period. Replacing panels invariably leads to other unforseen issues that should be taken care of at the same time. There may be some guys on here who can swap out floor pan in a matter of hours, but speaking for myself, most of my body projects would be better measured in days, weeks, months...and somewhat embarrassingly, years even.

If your heart is set on a Bronco and this is the one you want, I'd say go for it, just understand that most of the posts in this thread are speaking from experience. It's up to you whether you choose to learn from others' experiences or not. I don't regret purchasing my Bronco, but I don't try to kid myself by thinking that it's anything but a fabulous, fun to drive/maintain/own money pit.

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

...and that's why my Bronco runs strong and looks like a pile of (s)crap. She's pretty to me and that's all that matters. Paying a professional to do body work is expensive, period. Replacing panels invariably leads to other unforseen issues that should be taken care of at the same time. There may be some guys on here who can swap out floor pan in a matter of hours, but speaking for myself, most of my body projects would be better measured in days, weeks, months...and somewhat embarrassingly, years even.

If your heart is set on a Bronco and this is the one you want, I'd say go for it, just understand that most of the posts in this thread are speaking from experience. It's up to you whether you choose to learn from others' experiences or not. I don't regret purchasing my Bronco, but I don't try to kid myself by thinking that it's anything but a fabulous, fun to drive/maintain/own money pit.

I just can't find any other options that are logical for me. The few around me in great shape are $16k-$25k. The ones in my price range are piles of junk. This green and white one, IF the owner's claims are true, as I said, is the only one I've seen that is in somewhat rough shape but that looks like it can be saved without spending a fortune. My dad has a few friends who run body shops so I will get him to call and ask them how much they would charge for such jobs. That's really the only thing I know to do. I wish I could find one with zero rust that I could just build on instead of repairing, but it's impossible. The ones on Ebay are $10k+ just for DECENT shape, not even great. I've searched through all the ones listed on CB, and they're either not close to me or not what I'm looking for. I'm honestly out of ideas and options. lol

I know that a Bronco is what I want, I know that I won't be happy with anything else, and I don't care one bit to spend what's needed to fix it up as I want it. However, I have to make sure it is an endeavor that I can afford and that the particular Bronco doesn't have a bunch of hidden problems to cause unforseen expenses. If the Bronco runs well, then the rest can be fixed as I go. I wish there was someone on CB selling one that fit my needs and budget, but of course it can't be that simple. :/

Heus33

Bronco Guru
You seem like a good guy - you'll look back on this thread and think "wow, these guys were really looking out for me"

When you say replacing a floor board will cost $X - you're right. Thats exactly what it would cost if the metal cost X and the labor cost Y but what you're not factoring in is all the "other stuff" that is bound to come up with a 40 yr old truck. Things get out of whack, nothing lines up the way it should, blah blah blah. Then there's the unseen rust that WILL come up once you start replacing panels.

Where are you located? For the price of a case of beer I betcha a local Bronco guy will go out with you and check over the truck and give you a good idea if this will fit your desired need.

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

You seem like a good guy - you'll look back on this thread and think "wow, these guys were really looking out for me"

When you say replacing a floor board will cost $X - you're right. Thats exactly what it would cost if the metal cost X and the labor cost Y but what you're not factoring in is all the "other stuff" that is bound to come up with a 40 yr old truck. Things get out of whack, nothing lines up the way it should, blah blah blah. Then there's the unseen rust that WILL come up once you start replacing panels.

Where are you located? For the price of a case of beer I betcha a local Bronco guy will go out with you and check over the truck and give you a good idea if this will fit your desired need.

I understand that you guys are looking out for me already. I'm not doubting you or saying you are wrong, I'm just trying to make sure that I understand it, myself. Basically, I'm trying to determine if that Bronco for $3k can be turned into a nice Bronco with an additional $10k or so invested into it. It's much easier for me to build it over time than to spend $15k-$20k at once. I haven't seen a Bronco in better shape for less than $8k-$10k. No matter what, a Bronco of this age is most likely going to need a paint job and some rust removal. So, if the Bronco runs well as described and the only MAJOR replacements needed are the Floor Pans and Door Posts, I should be able to come out of this at a decent overall price. It all depends, though, which is what makes it scary. Hopefully, there are a few ways to cut costs on it. In reference to the Rhino-Lining, I can get Herculiner and do it myself. I've read that for $150-$200, you can do the entire flooring of the interior and underneath. The ones I've seen done that way looked great, too. That would cut off possibly $1k or so from the expenses.

The Bronco is actually in Lexington, KY. I live a little over 3 hours from it. If there's anyone in that area that can stop by and check it out, I will gladly pay you for two cases of beer. :D lol That would be so unbelievably helpful so that I don't make the trip if it isn't worth it.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If you go to pep boys try the parts counter. When I was going from 33 to 35's the tire dept said no. At the parts counter they are able to look up order other stuff. They were able to get me the 35" coopers in at or mt at a decent price if I wanted them. I buy most my tires off craigslist. You see more mt's than at's on there because guys buy em and hate em on the street. Nice tires don't sell for much once they've hit the pavement. I think I paid 150 for my bfg 35's on chrome rims and the guy delivered em.

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

If you go to pep boys try the parts counter. When I was going from 33 to 35's the tire dept said no. At the parts counter they are able to look up order other stuff. They were able to get me the 35" coopers in at or mt at a decent price if I wanted them. I buy most my tires off craigslist. You see more mt's than at's on there because guys buy em and hate em on the street. Nice tires don't sell for much once they've hit the pavement. I think I paid 150 for my bfg 35's on chrome rims and the guy delivered em.

Will definitely check CL. I live in the "country" so hopefully someone has some big ole' mud tires for sale. :D lol

Here is the only other option I have come across within striking distance. It's twice the price of the other but looks to be in excellent condition and already had a lot of the things I want such as the Auto Trans, Rhino-Lining, and White Interior. It is located in Fountain Inn, SC so if anyone is close-by to check it out or has seen it before, I'd really appreciate info on it:

"302 V8, automatic, uncut rear fenders(hard to find). Runs and shifts good. Recently rebuilt engine/per previous owner. Just serviced with new plugs and fuel filter. New draglink and manual steering bell assembly. New master cylinder. Some rewiring-headlights, taillights, turn signals, and marker lights work. Floorboard and underneath have been undercoated. Body is straight and in good shape. Top is showing some surface rust around edges. Never engaged 4x4, so I don't know if it works. Posted previously and then decided not to sell. Sorry for any inconvenience. I have dropped the price to $7,200."

3k43m03o55O45X25S5b4p2ca7a512783515da.jpg
3m63o73pc5Q65Z15X2b4p2e48b89711cf1457.jpg

3me3pc3l05T05U55S6b4p8bcba6ab70fc1683.jpg
3nd3p03lb5Z15U15S0b4pdcb7c2be80401625.jpg

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
here's the best advice anywhere ever...never buy a Bronco sight unseen. in 9 out of 10 cases when someone buys a vehicle without personally inspecting it it turns out to be a bitter disappointment. no need to write a lengthy response to this.

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

here's the best advice anywhere ever...never buy a Bronco sight unseen. in 9 out of 10 cases when someone buys a vehicle without personally inspecting it it turns out to be a bitter disappointment. no need to write a lengthy response to this.

The condescending, snarky remarks aren't needed. Why do you think I'm looking for something local? Obviously, so I can go look at it before I buy it. However, when it's a 3-4 hour drive, It would be nice if a bronco enthusiast on the forum who is actually local to it could give it a thorough look-over to save me a wasted trip if it's a bust.

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

why mud treads on a daily driver?

every good point made by people on here who know what they're talking about are quickly discounted and probably ignored. seems like you're looking for an open debate on items you say you know little about.

It's difficult to read the underlying tones in text, but I'm pretty good at it. ;) Acting like I don't realize MT's are rougher than AT's, saying that I'm "discounting" (should've been disregarding) the great advice in here and ignoring everyone about things I am ignorant on, and then telling me not to write a lengthy response to your brilliant post about not buying vehicles without seeing them first after I've clearly stated I'm looking for something close to me so I can pick it up myself. It's no big deal, but like I said it's not necessary.

If anyone is local to either of those two Bronco's I posted (Lexington, KY and Fountain Inn, SC) then please let me know if you can take a look at them for me.

I'm thinking the red one looks to be in excellent shape but it's hard to tell since it has been Rhino-Lined. It could be covering up some things that aren't noticeable unless you see it in person.

Thanks everyone.

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

On the Red '71, it had an automatic transmission. I've looked through the Bronco changes by year and the C4 wasn't introduced until '73. Was there a different automatic before the C4 or is it likely one that has been swapped in? I'm trying to contact the owner but no luck yet. I will also have to check on the front axle as it says they swapped from the Dana 30 to the Dana 44 Front mid-year.

rockingm82

Loc.
St. Peters, MO
Where were you guys when I bought my 68? It was/is actually in great shape. The biggest cost to me has been the tools. I'm too stubborn to pay anyone to work on it, but every time I do, I need some new tool. Maybe the Bronco simply supports a tool addiction? Is there a help group for this? I found myself in Northern Tool today drooling. My wife had to drag me out.

There are two underlying addictions with a Bronco purchase. Bronco updates aka, making it look the way I want and tools.

Enjoy it, I sure do! No matter the cost or length of time a project takes.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As far as tires , I found out that any typical small time garage that is flying a big name tire brand banner can beat the hell out of the "tire" stores prices. IE Firestone/Bridgestone/Goodyear , etc
The prices were on par with Tirerack.com , but no shipping needed obviously.

As an example , my Firestones were bought from a tire shop that does mainly semi-truck/trailer tires , but they had a Firestone banner , so I figured what the hell , see what they can do. They qouted $200 less , installed , than the Firestone dealer for the exact same set of tires.
I than priced checked at a towing/mechanical shop that we had done some work for , they were within $5 of that cheap bid. Again , just a simple towing shop flying a shitty old , beat to hell , weathered Firestone banner nailed to the wall.
Authorized dealers , warranty still applies , they got my money. Easy decision there.