• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best body mount rubber or urethane?

jckkys

Bronco Guru
No truck I know of comes with urethane body mounts from the factory and rubber compounds have improved. So why change? The original rubber squashed on the front end of one of the three Broncos I've owned, and I think that was oil contamination. Otherwise they held up well and isolated the body from vibrations better than hard urethane could. On the other hand the grill is touching the top of the frame. Can't remember exactly how much of a space there was when the Bronc was new, but I do recall something like 1/4". Does anyone know what a new original grill-frame clearance should be? Is there any problem with the urethane in terms of ride or noise?

kc15842

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, Ca
Good question, I installed the urethane mounts about 8 years ago. No complaints but you would think the rubber may soften the road noise a bit.

broncohalfcab66

Road noise?Road noise?Lol..Urethane will last 5 times longer.Not sure about the measurements.Road noise!Smh if your worried about road noise better buy a land rover.Just busting your balls.

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Urethane all the way. And fullsize not the A cup training bra size that's normally on the EB. I have always used the FS Bronco mounts they are taller too, may be enough if clearances are an issue, so more cushin' and a smaller BL block if you need them. Those are 3" diameter, the BL block is a one off 2 3/8" tall aluminum puck, atop of a 80-96 bronco body mount. Like below:

t1177_IMG406.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I do want a stock or close to stock appearance. The gap between the grill and the frame is the most obvious place to look for a body lift so I want that to look at least close to stock. That's why I'm trying to find out what a new Bronco had for a grill to frame gap. Two of mine were new but it's been a while and I never measured either one. I do remember there was a gap. Once set to the correct height using urethane there would be little change over time. So if noise-squeaks and ride are not worse I'll go with the urethane. Still if anyone has recently installed stock height body mounts it would help a lot if you would share the grill to frame gap measurement.

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Just use the bigger mounts then. Will look almost stock and actually looks like it belongs there.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
My bronco was only ten yrs old and the one under the dr.side pan and the one at the front dr.side, flatten out so bad I had to add spares I had to them just to level the truck back up..

Been on the Urethane about a yr. now and so far I do like'em;)

jlewan001

Loc.
Thorp, WI
I used rubber. But then I am also doing everything possible to quite down that noisy Cummins diesel sound!

OP
OP
J

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The 1/2" space sounds about right. The top of the stock bumper is about 1/8" higher than the frame so 3/8 is all you would see above the bumper, close enough. I like any extra room I can can get under the hood while keeping the original look. I have a 351 and use the original air cleaner. There is barely enough room between the hood and the right valve cover.
The larger F150 body mount pads sound like a good idea. They are made for a heavier body and wouldn't flatten as much or as soon while still giving some isolation.Thanks!

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Good choice. Get the ones for the 80-96 Bronco though, the f150 has different mounts out back. When I got this 74 They had installed black eb poly mounts and 3" body lift pucks over them. Those were already squashed down a bit with just the body sitting for about 3 years. These bodies are heavy and add a cage or other things and it's really too much, I just installed new poly transfer case mounts, search the thread, " what have you done to your bronco today". Look up Mofoco1 you can see pictures of what the originals look like or what's left. Change yours to poly as well, worth it! Understand the engine fit issue. I still have the 302, but went with a mid rise AirGap intake, a Demon carb, and an oval Billet Specialties open air cleaner. If I had taken the Body lift off I would not have been able to use that combo, so I left it. What I did decide was to ditch the 3" composite blocks in favor some custom made and sized 3" dia. aluminum body pucks atop of the BB poly body mounts. Since they were taller I had the size of the puck made shorter to allow just enough room for the air cleaner to clear. I wanted no BL but couldn't get away from it. I am making new bumpers that will use the old bumpers as covers, the mounts will be raised so it will still have the stock height appearance that both you and I are after, as mine is a Luber. Check my garage might give you some ideas...Mo:cool:

Last edited:

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Im a huge fan of rubber. All my suspension bushings are rubber. The rubber is usually more expensive but i think it isolates alot of vibrations better than the poly or urethane does.

That said i do have urethane bushings on my body because i wanted a small (1") body lift and WH sells there urethane mounts with a 1" BL built in, rather than stacking in a puck. Just seemed easyer. I have a glass tub and the urethane seems to be just fine.

In the old days in the 80's the poly bushings sucked because they always made noise. Thats another reason i stay away from poly shackle bushings. But things have changed and maybe they dont make noise anymore.

Id get rubber whenever possible!

OP
OP
J

jckkys

Bronco Guru
After looking everywhere I can think of. The only 80-89 Bronco body mount pads I've found are urethane. The local Ford dealer may have them but not at a reasonable price.What was your source?