• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Brakes - Non Hydro, Non Big Brake

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am rebuilding the axles in my 77 Bronco and want to redo / upgrade what I can Brake wise. Currently the truck has stock Manual Disc up front with Drums on the rear.

I am not interested in a Wilwood or Big Brake kit on this one, just upgrades to the stock system. I also am sticking with at most a 31-33" tire and Hydroboost not wanted on this truck either, just power vacuum.

My list includes New Hub and Rotors with the T-Bird Calipers up front. Any clearance issues while sticking with the 15x8" Wheels I have?

On the Rear axle I'm looking at the WH Disc Brake set-up. Gets wet, a lot, here in FL. Disc on the rear would be nice.

With these upgrades, which Master Cylinder would work best? 1 1/8" Bore? Also looking at the WH Moab Vacuum system with adjustable Prop Valve.

Without Hydroboost and without a big Brake Kit are these my best options?

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The hydraulic leverage gained with the 1 1/8" bores in the calipers would be negated by using a 1 1/8" master cylinder bore and the rear brakes would be more likely to lock up. The Bendix type vacuum boosters work perfectly well. The rear brakes do almost nothing so disc rear brakes aren't worth the expense, even when wet. A bigger issue is the metering and proportioning valve. The OE Kelsey-Hayes '77 power brake combination valve was calibrated for EBs. No after market combo valves are. Wilwood makes an adjustable combo valve that could set up to be ideal for EBs.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I have the GM front disc brakes.
I have the BC version of the small GM rear caliper disk brakes.
I am running the popular proportioning valve from the vendors (non adjustable).

Master cylinder for a '73(?) F250 Camper Special without power brakes. Had a huge bore.

This set up really works good.
Pretty easy to hold still at a light and good pedal feel. Back brakes don't lock up on me.

I have 35's and a lot of extra weight so I want to go with hydroboost. But this 4 wheel disc brake set up has served me well. I know a really big bore mc like this is not supposed to work well but the smaller bore mc's had so much pedal stroke they were scary.

Good luck.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Run the stock manual 77 set-up to keep it simple. It worked all these years and are a balanced system. They will be okay with tire sizes up to 33", Replace brake lines if they are old.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The current set-up is not up to par and does not provide enough Brake power as it is. Other 76-77s with Power assist have been much better.

jckkys - Would you stay with a 1" bore MC in this Disc/Disc scenario? I'm hoping to not have too much Pedal Stroke? I would also have the Adjustable Prop Valve installed.

Madgyver - The Axles are out of the truck and all of the Brake Lines will be replaced with the Axle rebuilds.

Any wheel clearance issues with the T-bird Calipers?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Any wheel clearance issues with the T-bird Calipers?

The T-bird/LTD/Full size caliper casting has the same external profile as the smaller bore calipers, so wheel fitment shouldn't be affected.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I'm using a stock style angle bracket with vacuum booster for a 1980 C3 Corvette, it is larger in diameter than the bronco unit so it has more power, but may or may not fit, I have a lot of "special" going on under the hood lol. I can confirm it is the same overall length. I was all set to go hydroboost until I tried this. Now its not such a priority any more.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm using a stock style angle bracket with vacuum booster for a 1980 C3 Corvette, it is larger in diameter than the bronco unit so it has more power, but may or may not fit, I have a lot of "special" going on under the hood lol. I can confirm it is the same overall length. I was all set to go hydroboost until I tried this. Now its not such a priority any more.

The C3 Corvette boosters are dual-9" units, whereas the factory '77 EB booster is a dual-7.5" unit, therefore the C3 unit is ~44% larger and should generate proportionally more boost/gain for any given level of vacuum input.

pbwcr

Black Magic pads for the chevy conversion are available for big improvement in braking.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The 9" Booster would not fit under the stock hood.

The 77 Bronco already has the disc up front. Chevy conversion parts are not an option for me.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am going to strip the Front and Rear Axles, have the housings and knuckles Powder Coated then completely rebuild.

Here is my plan for the Brake system to go on the axles.

Complete Front Disc Rebuild kit for 76-77 Bronco.
T-Bird Calipers
Complete New Hard Line kit
Stainless Caliper and Extended Axle Lines
Rear Disc Brake Kit
Moab Vacuum Power Brake System with Wilwood Adjustable Prop Valve and 1 1/8" Bore MC.

pbwcr

Just try pads. Hard to break in but improvement was noted. Go for rotors if you think you need them. Centric makes good stuff.

panteramatt

Wonder if this kit would be an improvement over a bronco vacuum setup?

https://www.corvettemods.com/C3-Cor...M0fBHa2XUQgFoaB_TwkfZtq_MpiYEhJhoC51wQAvD_BwE

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are the Black Magic Pads available for the Factory Bronco Disc?

The eBay Master Cylinder pictured looks like the Factory 77 MC spacer included.