• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

best, cheapest, easiest, ignition up grade???,

Larry B

Loc.
Medford
I installed the Petronix system. I do not know of any thing easier. They have worked well for a couple of years. ( 14,000) miles. The old points lay in the glove box just incase but I don't expect a failure unless the key gets left on until the battery runs down. I don't think any of them including points will stand that.

bmbm

tfi

Have seen tfi coil mentioned before, is that a better way to go?
I have been thinking about a high output coil and spiro wires. Not trying to hijack. That is a great diagram. Thanks

OP
OP
broncosport

broncosport

Loc.
Knob Noster MO
Dura Spark II is the way to go carry a spare in the glove box.

DuraSpark01.gif

Real easy to wire up, it is the first thing to do when you have a REB..

Real Early Bronco just 2 wires to hook it up.

Holy good god,:eek: I owe you!! Thanks for posting the super dummy proof diagram!!!! Looked at this diagram, went to the garage and in about 1 hour had the duraspark working like a champ!!! Runs smoother, starts better, revs faster, sounds stronger and has a very very very noticable power increase over the points!!! THANKS ALOT;D

Broncoholic1

Holy good god,:eek: I owe you!! Thanks for posting the super dummy proof diagram!!!! Looked at this diagram, went to the garage and in about 1 hour had the duraspark working like a champ!!! Runs smoother, starts better, revs faster, sounds stronger and has a very very very noticable power increase over the points!!! THANKS ALOT;D

No problem man, I use it as a screen saver. Merry Christmas !!
Glad to help...
Makes it easy with the colors coded wires. Can do it in my sleep :cool:
Keep one printed out & framed on my workbench for the last 5 years.

Outlaw Bronco

Loc.
Shenandoah, VA
Hi folks. I'm going to give this DuraSpark a try on my 71 Eb and looking for some help with the rest of the parts. I have the Dist and need help finding the rest of the PROPER parts. I have been a MSD user for many years and don't know much about the DuraSpark system though it looks simple enough.

The DuraSpark box i have found thru AutoZone is PN# F109.
Various connectors/ plugs are PN# 435, PN#480.

Other than the resistor is this all i will need to get her going?

Thanks Brandon.

OP
OP
broncosport

broncosport

Loc.
Knob Noster MO
make sure you hvae the correct plug wires, as they are totaly different from the points dizzy. The duraspark dizzy and the silver box is all I had and it runns like a dream.

Broncoholic1

Hi folks. I'm going to give this DuraSpark a try on my 71 Eb and looking for some help with the rest of the parts. I have the Dist and need help finding the rest of the PROPER parts. I have been a MSD user for many years and don't know much about the DuraSpark system though it looks simple enough.

The DuraSpark box i have found thru AutoZone is PN# F109.
Various connectors/ plugs are PN# 435, PN#480.

Other than the resistor is this all i will need to get her going?

Thanks Brandon.

Add the extra ground wire to the harness between the box & dizzy to your screws that mount he box to the top of the inner fender. Here is the stock location on my 74 Explorer. behind the jack. The wire for the ground goes between
#4 & #6 connector in the wire diagram. Can't have too many good grounds for electrical systems.

1974BroncoRanger052.jpg

nrramse

I installed the Petronix system. I do not know of any thing easier. They have worked well for a couple of years. ( 14,000) miles. The old points lay in the glove box just incase but I don't expect a failure unless the key gets left on until the battery runs down. I don't think any of them including points will stand that.

I vote for Pertronix too. I'm on my second ignitor - the first one lasted 74K miles! I also like that it's totally contained inside the OEM distributor so it has a very simple look.

HavaBronco

Loc.
Lake Havasu City
I'm runnin the points on the 302 in my 73, it has been a minor pain, (cheap points burningg out to quick, a condensor that went bad, but over all it runs good and I can carry points and condensor in my tool box for about 25.00 bucks, what do you really gain with the pertronix igniter, or one of the many electronic ignitions? I mean seriously is there more power to be had, or better milage or smoother idle? I once changed out the points dizzy on a 72 big block ford for a malory unilite and I never noticed any real improvement over the factory ignition. Just curious.:cool:

nrramse

I'm runnin the points on the 302 in my 73, it has been a minor pain, (cheap points burningg out to quick, a condensor that went bad, but over all it runs good and I can carry points and condensor in my tool box for about 25.00 bucks, what do you really gain with the pertronix igniter, or one of the many electronic ignitions? I mean seriously is there more power to be had, or better milage or smoother idle? I once changed out the points dizzy on a 72 big block ford for a malory unilite and I never noticed any real improvement over the factory ignition. Just curious.:cool:

I didn't really notice any jump in horsepower or gas mileage when I went from points to Ignitor. I didn't seen any differerence going from Ignitor I to Ignitor II either. The main benefit is less maintenance.

OP
OP
broncosport

broncosport

Loc.
Knob Noster MO

I hear ya on the ease of points (and they never left me stranded), but the differance between a new set of points and My Duraspark was unbelievable!!! Gotta be 25+ HP increase! I never really felt a differance in the power between points and igniter it just ran smoother? DURASPARK 100%!!!

OP
OP
broncosport

broncosport

Loc.
Knob Noster MO
Add the extra ground wire to the harness between the box & dizzy to your screws that mount he box to the top of the inner fender. Here is the stock location on my 74 Explorer. behind the jack. The wire for the ground goes between
#4 & #6 connector in the wire diagram. Can't have too many good grounds for electrical systems.

1974BroncoRanger052.jpg

Already on it!! I think I grounded it to death!! Never too many!

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Easy but not cheap

This MSD isn's cheap but it sure is easy to install. Three wire hookup, ground, coil (+) and coil (-). No ignition box required.
I went from a DUI HEI to this MSD and I really can't tell the difference...she still runs sweet...

Attachments

• MSD Dizzy.jpg
    MSD Dizzy.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 27

Weevil

Vertex Magneto 650.00 for a rebuilt unit no core ,curved to whatever you want . One wire a KILL switch.If you push it ,it will start and run. Mason Racing Ignitions .650.00 was with a tach drive and the correct drive gear material .New points cap rotor condenser and remag magnets .Like new .Old school
for dragster or funny car ,Used in sprint cars. ran one for years in a mud truck

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Hei

Anyone running these $40-80 HEI the EB houses and everyone else is selling. Son got one I was going to do the same. The bottom gear is not fixed on, once installed how do you get the gear out or if you need to clock the distributor that gear is going to want to stay inside the block? Am I missing something?....Mo

Outlaw Bronco

Loc.
Shenandoah, VA
Anyone running these $40-80 HEI the EB houses and everyone else is selling. Son got one I was going to do the same. The bottom gear is not fixed on, once installed how do you get the gear out or if you need to clock the distributor that gear is going to want to stay inside the block? Am I missing something?....Mo

Needs to have a pin thru the gear and shaft! With out it the dist shaft will not turn properly if at all and the worse part is the oil pump will not turn.

If you can spin the gear on the shaft send it back to the seller.