• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best/ Cheapest place to buy brake drums?

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We'll got the rear drums off with a little strugle, but the front ones were stuck after setting for years. I tried everything from a hammer to beat them to a torch and nothing doing. So I took the next approach..see pics below. I need to know where the best and cheapest place is to replace the front drums on this '68? Advance, Autozone, NAPA are all like 50.00 each to 100.00 bucks each. Is there any place cheaper??? Let me know.

Thanks Much,

Blue71

Attachments

• Img_0129.jpg
    Img_0129.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Img_0130.jpg
    Img_0130.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Img_0132.jpg
    Img_0132.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Img_0124.jpg
    Img_0124.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Img_0134.jpg
    Img_0134.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Img_0138.jpg
    Img_0138.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 38

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Andy,

I also have all the drum brake components off of my 73! I just did the 4 wheel disc conversion! You pay shipping & packaging, you get it all! Me, I just want the garage space!!!!!

Bill (also known as the Primate with Opposable thumbs).....(I don't know why that cracks me up so bad)!!!

Paperboy

When I bought mine a little while back, Carquest had the best price. Around $40.00 each. :)

NCSUWoj

Contributor
Loc.
Lynchburg, VA
Now this may be a silly question, but why not just pull the hub out and the spindle nuts, then do what you need to with the drum? I have just always thought that the drum and hub was kind of like an assembly, and when i took them out, i would check/repack/replace the wheel bearings as needed.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Yep. Front drums and hubs are an assembly and come off together. %)

Yeah, cheapest place would be to find someone who has just done disk conversion and get them for shipping. I might be that person too! Blue let me know if you can't find any local, I might have some fronts at least for ya.

ValueMaxx are the cheapest brand I've found new.

OP
OP
Blue71

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks all you guys for the help and offers. Thanks 72 and Thanks Mnkky..... Sent you a P.M. Thanks Flash I'll let ya know. Am i understaning this correctly......The hub and drums are one assembly??? :eek: :eek: Then they are different than a D44 where the hub slides off over the hub like on my '74? Fill me in, I have a few more questions if so.

Thanks Much,

Blue71

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Hub axle studs were indeed pressed onto the drums on my stock '72 Dana 44.
Hubs and all the bearings and such had to come out and off for inspection.
I've heard of some folks having front drums that do come off without the extra work, but all the techbooks say to remove hubs and such for inspection, so they should be together officially. Whether you can do it with a problem the other way, I think you could, but no experience with that here.

2cents though---anyone spending 50-100 on drums NEEDS to just save a little more and do the disk conversion. I'm seeing a guy with a whole kit on Ebay for around 250! The difference is night and day too!

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
Man that's on hard way to get your drums off.

My '68 had rivit like studs through the drum to the hub. After I pulled the hub I just drilled out the rivits, so the next brake job will be a lot easier. O also replaced the 4x4 locking hubs along with new bearings and seals.

bronco977

Loc.
Bakersfield
""""2cents though---anyone spending 50-100 on drums NEEDS to just save a little more and do the disk conversion. I'm seeing a guy with a whole kit on Ebay for around 250! The difference is night and day too!""""

I just did the E-Bay disc kit- it is really impressive! The kit is very complete and the instructions are easy to follow.

Attachments

• axle.jpg
    axle.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 38

Mazeing

bronco977 said:
""""2cents though---anyone spending 50-100 on drums NEEDS to just save a little more and do the disk conversion. I'm seeing a guy with a whole kit on Ebay for around 250! The difference is night and day too!""""

DEFINITELY
You can't believe how nice it is to be able to stomp on the brakes and come to a nice straight, clean stop!

I had the same problem when I tried to take the drums off my e-Bay D44. We ended up doing basically the same thing to the passenger's side drum as the drum and pads were fused! Took a BFH and Cold Chisel and sent pieces all over my buddy's garage. :D

Hogback

if i remember correctly when i first pulled my hubs, i just tapped the wheel studs back about the distance of the hub thickness, and then the hubs were free to slip off. Luckily the brakes were'nt adjusted out far enough to bind.

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Blue71 ,

These photos aren't the greatest, but I think you will get the gist?!?!?!

They are 11"ers!

MnkyBiz!

Attachments

• Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Slide3.JPG
    Slide3.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Slide4.JPG
    Slide4.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 33