• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best color for engine compartment

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Is there a best color to paint the engine compartment, if not the color of the rest of the EB. I had the following thoughts:<br><br>Would a reflective paint (silver) have any advantages in deflecting heat?<br><br>What color would best hide grime? Would a paint shop actually match the color of grease and mud on a bit of sheetmetal?<br><br>-John

72bronco

Bronco Guru
You can't go wrong with black. I don't know about heat deflection but I can't imagine it makes much of a difference.

thesnake

Bronco Guru
Whatever color you desire. It does strike me as funny, guys kicking out money on ebay for a great looking bronco, then when you see the engine compartment, alot of times it's the old factory color and greasy.<br><br>snake

Jeep Slayer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wildomar California
I plan on keeping mine the stock color, it looks great but you do have to take tsome time to keep it clean which should be done no matter what color you paint it. 8)

jims66

You Decide!<br><br><br>
engine_bay1.jpg

jeff68

Loc.
Hattiesburg, MS.
Man!!!<br>That looks great jims66!!!!<br><br>I painted mine Black under-coat, it has a rough texture and looks pretty good, I figure it helps the aluminum and chrome stand out !<br>Jeff

66horse

Bronco Guru
Jums66 just loves threads like this. Showing off his bronco like he had no shame. Oh wait, if mine looked that good I would too!

ASE-73

Loc.
Seattle, WA
I'm going with the body color, but the semigloss black used on early Mustangs looks stock and looks real good. The tie breaker might be that the black is easier to touch up.

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
I'm probably going to go with hammerite silver - with my new engine I want to know if there are any leaks and I want the extra light in there a light color gives...

swood

Loc.
San Jose, CA
POR 15 the engine bay. Tough as nails and looks good. If you desire color, use one of their high-temp engine paints. That's what I plan to do.

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I am leaning toward silver because it matches the 5.0 and is light, or black to hid grime.

-John

Ranger77

Loc.
Albuquerque,NM
Go with black. I think I read in one of the 4x4 mags that a black engine compartment helps to radiate the heat better. Not sure that it makes that much of a difference but at least black hides all the grime.

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
I know people have diamond plate inside the engine compartment (don't really like the looks of all diamond plate). Does anyone know who makes these inserts, or better yet, does anyone make brushed aluminum or stainless steel?

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
[quote author=Waverous link=board=5;threadid=11965;start=15#88537 date=1039059351]<br>I know people have diamond plate inside the engine compartment (don't really like the looks of all diamond plate). Does anyone know who makes these inserts, or better yet, does anyone make brushed aluminum or stainless steel?<br>[/quote]<br><br>I think WH does, and I know for sure that rockyroads does.