• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best donor vehicle for 5.0

Jeepeater

If you guys had to pick a vehicle and year for the best 302 5.0, what would it be? Explorer?

66roadhorse

Loc.
Houston
96 Explorer. It has the GT 40 heads, not the GT40 P heads which have the funky spark plug angle and sometimes headers don't fit right. I priced one at a junkyard a couple of months ago and it was about $800 complete w/ wiring.

MoabB2

Loc.
Sandy, Utah
96+ Explorer/Mountaineer 5.0. 97.5 and on had the GT-40P heads, which are the better heads. They do have the funky spark plug angle, but there are headers you can get to accommodate. OBD-II tunability is great.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
what all did the 351s come in during the roller years also is that 96 explorer with wiring include efi

rstarr

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
Would a 92 mustang be a good donor? There is one locally and I have been wondering if it would be a good swap.

meckanik

Loc.
Issaquah, WA
I agree with the '96 Explorer for a 5.0. I got got mine intake-to-oil pan (cast aluminum!), including the front dress for about $500. Boo ya.

-Jeff