• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

AOD swap, What's the best donor vehicle.

mattt

Bronco Guru
ALL AOD's have the same gear ratios & 1st gear. There is no gear split between car and truck. Now......if you are talking 4R70W, those have a deeper 1st gear and that gear set can be swapped into an AOD....but again like Bowsher said, there are no low gear AOD's.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
===
All car AODs require a pricey adapter to mate to a transfer and small car AODs have the high ratio 1st gear. What to do is get an AOD with transfer from a 4wd truck FSB Bronco or F150. Solves both issues. But creates new ones. The transfer case is too wide to fit the narrow bronco frame rails, just like most any modern chain drive transfer case

You can swap the AOD car gear set with the gear set from a AODE or from a truck AOD if you don't mind tearing down the tranny. That gets you nothing, they are all the same gear set. You would have to get a 4R70W gear set to gear down an AOD. Keep in mind the shift points are based on output shaft speed, the engine will wind out higher with the lower gearset to get the governor to the shift point. So expect a littler higher engine speed for the 2-3 shift and an even higher shift point for the 1-2 shift.

More avoidable expense.
The newest year for the truck AOD is the best bet. If you are a DIY junk yard guy do not forget to get the reverse/park connector pigtail from the doner. What engine are you using? If you are doing an engine upgrade get the engine from the doner truck that was mated to the tranny/transfer and all will be well.
PaulW

Some incorrect info pointed out

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have driven several 85'-90' 351w Crown Vic police interceptors that had over 100,000 miles on them. These were not gently driven and the cars are heavier than EBs. The AODs had none of the "issues" mentioned above. They are common,inexpensive,and simply bolt on to any 302 or 351w. The crank balance is 28oz. so the flex plate works with the original 302. In fact the the engine and trans are an easy swap into an EB. The 4R70W 302 Explorer is much rarer,more expensive,and a lot harder to install in an EB. I prefer the C4 so I kept it but I use a 351w PI and can't think of a better engine.

I actually find the 351W police Interceptors to be much harder to find then the newer Explorers. All of the Crown vic AOD will require a tear down to put the 4WD output shaft and tailhousing on. Where an Explorer 4R70W could be installed without removing the transmission pan (AWD/4WD transmission and the ZF adaptor like this). Not getting into the transmission makes it a lot easier for most people.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The AODs in 351w Crown Vics are obviously 2wd just like 2wd F150s so the tail housing and out put shaft have be swapped out. I see these cars on the road and in junk yards here in Tucson so there must some in Casa Grande or Phx. The Crown Vic never impressed me as a small car so I don't know what pbwcr is referring to. All AODs and AODEs have the same gears. A wide ratio gear set can of course be installed in either, just as it can be installed in a C4 or C6. The Crown Vic 351 PIs up to '87 were carburated and had a throttle rod and selector arm that are compatible with Bronco auto trans column and carb. They have a valve body.Therefor no computer control is needed. It would help to know what engine is planned or if an original auto column is going to be used. The work and $ involved for any OD are hard to justify on a largely street rig. Personally I chose not to.

OP
OP
M

mkcj

Loc.
Seatac/Winthrop, Wa
We just had the 302 rebuilt, it still has the 3 speed on the column but my son would like to put an Auto in it. We're not sure if we will go with a new column or use a floor shifter. I will say this is starting to get a little confusing with C4's AOD.AODE, 4R70W and all the years of the model's that are better to look for than another.

pbwcr

Some incorrect info pointed out
======
Just repeating what I read onm the Internet. I did quote the wrong tranny gear set.
Question. If one gets an AOD off a 4wd truck will the D20 transfer work without a tail change?

Thanks, PW

Broncobowsher

Total hack
======
Just repeating what I read onm the Internet. I did quote the wrong tranny gear set.
Question. If one gets an AOD off a 4wd truck will the D20 transfer work without a tail change?

Thanks, PW

The D20 will not directly bolt to a 4WD AOD, you still need an adaptor. See the link I put in my previous post above

OP
OP
M

mkcj

Loc.
Seatac/Winthrop, Wa
I guess I need to add that the bronco has 4.11 gears and will have 31 in tires will the OD drop the rpm's to much with this setup? and should I be looking for a C4 to put in it. Thanks.

Mark

mattt

Bronco Guru
If you're looking for ease of swap to an Auto trans, the C4 would be much easier. Gearing wise, you'd be okay.

OP
OP
M

mkcj

Loc.
Seatac/Winthrop, Wa
So the number's I came up with are, C4 at 60mph 2674rpm while the aod with a final drive of .67 would run 1789rpm's at 60 mph. In my diesel 1800rpm's is fine but is that to low for the bronco?