• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Headers???Shorty Or Long tube

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
Long tube headers are more for high performance use, shorty headers are a compromise of having tube headers and fitting in confined spaces. For most people shorty headers are all they need, they are much more free flowing than manifolds. But for the best performance long tube headers are the best, most dragrace cars use long tube headers. But they are sometimes hard to fit in small engine bays like the EB's.

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
my preference is towards the shorties, but that is because I prefer a single exhaust - If I was to run duals then I may run long tubes. For who makes good ones - it depends on your setup. If you are running a manual tranny, then WH has the best shorties; if running an auto, I'd go with the WH for ease of istallation or the Ford Motorsports for less cost but they need a bit of inginuity for running the exhaust (they are very tight against the top of the passenger frame rail). For long tubes, I've heard good things about the Duffy long tubes, and I believe that both doug thorly and hooker make some good ones for the EB.

swood

Loc.
San Jose, CA
I'll have to look up the sites I read again to back this up, but this is what I recall:<br><br>Shorty headers are more for racing applications, vehicles requiring power in the higher RPM ranges.<br><br>Long Tubes are just the opposite, yielding more power in the lower RPM ranges, which is more what you would need for off road.<br><br>It is very important to select the correct type because the headers for one application will actually detract performance in the other, ie shorty headers can actually lower power in the low rpm ranges.<br><br>I would definitely read up on this before purchasing.

G

Old old headers were Hedmans that had rusted a long,long time ago. I never yanked them because of the hassle of having to move the motor and clutch linkage. After I pulled the motor for a rebuild it was no big deal. I decided that I'd never put in long tube headers again unless I just couldn't get shorties for some reason. The install of the shorties is super simple (relative to installing headers, that is). And whatever performance difference there is between the long tube headers and the short tube headers isn't very significant. Plus, with the shorties you have more exhuast routing and drivetrain choices due tp lessened interference.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Id call Edelbrocks hotline for information on this one since they do extensive testing and they would be the ones to give a most unbias opionion since i dont think they have a header line yet.

brewdude

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Groveland, CA
I have the ultraflow from JBG the fit is execlent no clearance problems at all with the manual transmition. They have a 3/8 thick flange that will help with reducing leaks, also they are nickel plated so they deter rust. I have pictures but need to post them on my site. Just my drunk a$$ .02

72bronco

Bronco Guru
I have L&L long tube headers with a dual exhaust. It wasn't that bad to install. I guess shorties would be less hassle but long tubes sure are cool.

merciless

Loc.
Brooklyn, NY
[quote author=swood link=board=5;threadid=11917;start=0#88315 date=1039020700]<br>This is an excellent article (pdf) that explains what a header does and the direct effects of length, diameter, torque, horsepower, etc. It still leaves you with the question of what is perfect for YOUR specific engine, but you will have a better understanding.<br><br>http://www.streetrodding.com/articles/george/exhaust1.pdf<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Good info. Check this out saw one of the links in the pdf<br>http://www.jet-hot.com/direct.html<br>They have a some headers you can buy direct with their ceramic coating inside and out for $250 cheapest ive seen with this type of coating so far<br>Dynomax 85044:<br>'66-77 Ford Bronco 302, 1 5/8" primary, Automatic trans only, 3" collector.<br><br>If their coating works as well as they say this could be a must have for a bronco and trying to cut down the heat in the engine compartment.