• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best price/performance on Draglink and TRO

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Replacing my busings, springs and doing a 4x4x2 conversion. I can feel some slop in my draglink ball joint si I need to replace whole draglink? Was thinking about a TRO conversion if it's not too hard and expensive.

What are my options. Pics?

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I bought the heims off of ebay then bought DOM tube and had a machine shop tap the tube directly. I think it was cheaper than buying a 'kit' but I bought several other parts from both vendors at the same time. It's really not very hard to fabricate steering components...

is_wiz

Loc.
Leesburg, VA
I did TRO just bought the reaming bit. That was expensive. but reamed the knuckles out from the top. and moved the tie rod up. It was easy and helps keep the right angle on the drag link. I did not use any tro bushings and have been offroading and highway speeds a lot and haven't had any problems.

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
is-wiz

if you ream it out arent you going to have a much larger hole? Are you using the stock tie rod and drag link?

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
Extreme Custom Fab has a nice set that I purchased and have used for about a year.
http://extremecustomparts.com/i-361...-44-1966-1975-bronco-1-1-2-d-o-m-dana-30.html
This uses Chevy tie rod ends. If you are putting this setup over the knuckles you will need the reamer and some sleeves. You would spend over $300 on this setup with the kit, the reamer and the bushings.

Since the factory knuckles are reamed from the bottom, if you ream down from the top you will end up with less contact area for the rod end stud if you don't use the bushings. As is_wiz said it is possible to do this but it is probably safer to have full bearing surface on the studs.

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
$300 is a lot for me right now. Is the stock dragling balljoint repleacable?

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
It looks like I would have to replace the whole draglink arm (looks like part of the ball joint). what other kits are available? or is this one the best?

If I do it myself why Heim vs. ball or visa versa.