• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Screwup story working on your Bronco

brokenhorse

Bronco Builder
Loc.
Wisconsin
Well this is how it fell My buddy lets me work on my crap in his shop hes got a hoist ;D 8)  we just had gotten the frame done (frame up)engine and tranny were in, front axel all the way out to the 31 M/T rims and tires,rear was in but not bolted tight(luckily the rims and tires were on this too )When we put the hangers and leafs on we only had old bolts.Needless to say I had to go buy new grade 8s the next day. ::)I went to the shop and let myself in the truck was still on the lift so (smart me) I went and got the trany jack possitioned it under the 9 in and I was going to let the hoist down to take the weight off the springs and hangers and switch out the bolts 1 at a time I proceeded to lower the truck and push it right off the hoist from 6 ft high  :eek: :eek: ??? :-[ :mad:.Did she come down hard!!! She BOUNCED like a bitch  :( :(     you name it I said it)<br>The only thing we had to do is straighten the front bumper mounts on the frame and do some repainting  Talk about a coranary! Now when I use the hoist my buddy always reminds me to take it EZ by walking to the other end of the shop and watching me. ;)(Smart a$$)<br>No blood just stupidity.<br>                   Brokenhorse

P

Paint

Mine is just embarassing. I had just bought my Bronco and due to severe body damage to the right quarter panel and the right side of the tailgate being dog eared, it would only latch on the left side. Well, anytime I would hit a big bump in the road the tailgate would fall open and the unbolted rear seat would roll out.One day while crossing an intersection it happened and here I was holding up traffic looking like a jack a$$.Then to make me feel more like a dork someone yells, "You otta bolt that thing in!"  

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
so have you coughed up the .50 for a bungee cord yet to hold the tailgate close? i bet that was a site to see, so does your rear seat have road rash now?

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
This is really fun.  The only screwup I can think of right now is a recent one.  I was at a friend's shop getting some welding done and was putting on a new air cleaner and cover.  Well, the air cleaner (round Edelbrock style) slid down the wheel well, onto the battery.  I guess I thought it was going to stay put but it didn't.  Needless to say, there was sparks everywhere and the battery looked like a fireworks display.  I grabbed a screwdriver and poked it off.  I got a couple of holes burned through the cover, some cursing from the shop guy and a weaker battery.  My brother still rips on me about it.  Now I have those cheesy battery terminal covers on there...

joules

Loc.
Marysville, Wa
I though I would reseruct this oldy but a goody... Lots of good stuff here.

Mine is weak: I dropped the hood after putting on some new battery hold down bolts and did not check clearance. Dimpled...
J~

blu72

Loc.
Forney, Tx
well we were installing the new 6pt smittybuilt cage. we had measured and cut what needed to be cut. now we have the cage in the bronco trying to get it level and straight and just where we want it so we can tack weld it together the remove it and do the real welds,we had all manner of clamps and visegrips holding it together. took about an hour before I was satisfied. alright time for the tack welds. my buddy proceeds to climb into the rig to weld, when he goes to climb up he grabs the roll bar for a hand up and the whole thing comes crashing down! we laughed for a long time and decided to go for beer before we attempted to set it up again

MI-Bronco

Was putting the front side of a Duff's 3.5 lift on. Had the springs out, the front raised and on blocks, with a jack under the front diff.

Felt I needed to make the front axle more level (jack under front diff caused pass side to droop).

So I put a 2x10 on edge and let the axle down. That leveled the axle for a minute.

Until the 2x10 fell, droping the axle, causing the truck to move to the drivers side, which caused the blocks under the frame to lean, which caused the front of the truck to slide off the blocks, which caused the whole front of the truck to fall to the garage floor with enough force to shake the house like a 5.0 quake.

Then you know what? I'm checking my pants for stains, and the wife comes out yelling at me for scaring her thinking all she would see is a pair of legs under the Bronco like the wixard of OZ.

So I started back saying look at my Bronco!!!

_that_ didn't help

Ended well, no damage to the Bronco, to me, the wife, or the garage floor.

Bluntman

Loc.
Memphis TN
I was hoisting my hard top off with a winch hookup. I thought the top was just rusted on there or something (this was the first time i've taken it off). I didn't know there were two things that stuck down into the sides.. and i kept winching thinking it would come unstuck. Soon enough, i went and just shook the top around, and it shot out because there was already so much tension on the wire. When i looked down my rear quarter panel, upper and lower, were RIPPED. :-[ :( :'(

Augustus

Loc.
South Milwaukee, WI.
I've recently finished my '67 170ci/302ci swap, (or at least I'm driving it - its really not quite finished) so I have a few episodes.

But one of the best is when I hefted my front end without wheels into place underneath my coils that hung mere inches above me on the wall.

As I struggled to get my radius arms into place and avoid hitting the jack stands (which were at that sickly spot on the frame where it seems it will do that see-saw thing and lower the front end) I was playing mumbly peg with the nuts ... One would thread and the other would pull out, necesitating realigning it.

With Hulk like rage I pulled and tugged on the driver side drum until I slipped and took a Three Stooges like pratfall on my ass against the garage wall.

As if I couldn't be pissed off enough, that damn coil dotted me on the brow and made a beutiful twang on the garage floor.

Now I have bragging rights to a ugly scar...next time I'll just get stitches.

77bronko

Loc.
Norfolk MA
Nothing disasterous just stupid. I had a vibration in the driveline. Turns out the double cardin joint in the rear driveshaft is toast, the splines are loose anyway, so I buy an brand NEW one. put it in. Still same vibration. So I tare into the transfer case, looks OK. Look at the Tranny and the output shaft bearing is literally gone, must be it. So I rebuild the tranny. Put it back together. Still vibrates. I replace the wheel bearings in the back, one is actually toast as well, all sorts of side to side play, must be it. Nothing, still vibration. Rebuild the rear-end, decide to replace the open with a L/S should of put a locker, oh well, that wasn't the problem anyway. Pull the new driveshaft off, son of a, Damn double cardin on was broken when I got it. I could only convince the driveshaft company to replace the driveshaft though. Granted I fixed the tranny and wheel bearings, but if I had half a brain, I would have put in a locker and I wouldn't be complaining.

chris

No more Rock Crawler
I had the body up on saw horses and 4x4's, I'm sanding parts of the body to prep it for POR15 when my 7yr old son and his buddy come by and ask if they can help. I want to encourage the lad (can't stand his little buddy) so I say yes. Just for additional safety I tie off the front of the body to my engine hoist in the front of the body. We are there sanding with me inside the engine compartment when the body starts to shift and it falls off the saw horses and onto the ground with me standing inside the engine compartment still. Scared the crap out of me! I turn around to see if the kids are allright (they are) and my sons buddy is standing next to the engine lift. I said to him "Did you play with the lift?" No he says. He did, I very calmly told him to go home and not come back for several days. Front clip is still bent a little. By the way I never leave the rod in the pump when I am using it now. ::)

toy_truck

Loc.
Alpharetta
Me , my dad and my friend just got finished putting on the new intake and carb in my dads garage (hes got lots more tools ;D ) we wanted to fire it up, I let them make the last few connections while I fooled with some electricals under the dash....They told me to fire it up! It started just fine! Then ran right up to about 7000 bounced a valve off the seat and backfired in a nice fireball through the carb! Ouch that was loud and I was the one sitting in the tin can! They forgot the return spring....... :mad:

IowaMike

Bronco Guru
When I was pulling the 6 cylinder out of mine, I asked my boys to come help. I had everything disconnected (or so I thought), cherry picker hooked up and started to roll it forward. Even though I had cleared the mounts and the tranny it just would slide all the way out. My sons are looking at me kinda funny as I sit on the cowl pushing with my feet as they pull on the cherry picker and the block. As I cuss up a blue streak my oldest son Tom says "what's that cable thing caught on?" I had forgotton to disconnect the throttle cable from it's mount. Once that was unhooked, the 6 came right out.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
Hey,

We haha put a lift on my 77 haha and then couldn't get it out of the garage haha.

eventually we loaded her down and drove her out. I am now lowering my vehicle so this won't be an issue.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
Mines not Bronco but worth a chuckle. A very good friend came over to help me install lowering springs on my Stang. I had a broken leg and needed a tool runner. Well we had it on stands in the yard and couldn't get one spring out of the rear. Here I am straddling the rear with the cast under the gas tank and the other leg folded in the fender well yanking on the spring when the jack stand sinks into the ground dropping the car. She screams and pushes on the side of the car to try and stop it, I yell "watch your rings". Lets just say she wasn't very happy that I was more concerned about my new paint job than my broken leg under the car.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
I guess the best Bronco story I have is I got pissed at my 73 and launched a sledge hammer at it, of course i hit the only straight piece of body chrome I had on it that i was hoping to snag for my 77.