• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best soft top available..who??

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
I am looking to buy a new soft top. Who has the best and how do you rate them? I had an older Kayline, but the snaps were a pain. I have heard that Bestop is now making one for the EB, anybody seen one or has one?? ?:? ?:?

Cavalry

Loc.
I HATE UPSTATE NY
not really sure if I like the small side windows. Probably very functional with the glass zipped out and top on, but looks like a big blind spot to me with the glass in.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
Best price so far for the Bestop one is $561.79 from Macromotive.com<br>This includes free shipping, so I am really leaning towards it. I like the track system it uses to fasten the top to the rails, no more snaps!! :D<br>

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I like this picture with the Bestop<br><br>
supertop_bronco.jpg

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
I have a Bestop and I like it. i like the way it attaches to the truck and I like the overall style of the top.

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
Where's a good link to Specialty Tops? This is the same as the old Kayline Fastrac except the side windows zip out. Nice looking without the little diagonal bar through the window.

Kansas Corey

Loc.
NorCal (East Bay)
I think the link to the Specialty Top Company is:<br><br>http://www.specialtytopco.com/<br><br>Personally I think the Bestops looks much nicer but I would like to see them both in person before making a final decision. Do you guys know if anyone still makes a soft top where the sides and back just roll up. I know they used to, but I am afraid everyone now just makes the tops with zip out windows instead. Problem is that now when the windows are zipped out I need to figure out where to store them rather than just roll them up and tie them out of the way. Thanks.<br><br>Corey

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
[quote author=Kansas Corey link=board=5;threadid=10966;start=0#80584 date=1036580490]<br>I think the link to the Specialty Top Company is:<br><br>http://www.specialtytopco.com/<br><br>Personally I think the Bestops looks much nicer but I would like to see them both in person before making a final decision. Do you guys know if anyone still makes a soft top where the sides and back just roll up. I know they used to, but I am afraid everyone now just makes the tops with zip out windows instead. Problem is that now when the windows are zipped out I need to figure out where to store them rather than just roll them up and tie them out of the way. Thanks.<br><br>Corey<br>[/quote]<br><br>Bestop windows can be unzipped partialy and rolled up. The rear window has straps sewn in and I added the side straps, so I could either remove or roll down windows

ASE-73

Loc.
Seattle, WA
[quote author=madgyver link=board=5;threadid=10966;start=0#80478 date=1036541864]<br>I like this picture with the Bestop<br><br>
supertop_bronco.jpg
<br>[/quote]<br><br>Now that is one nice top :eek: The Specialty Top looks like crap in comparison.

tonto

Bronco Guru
You should try and do a search on here on the tops there’s at least one very good thread on the Bestop quality/install, most people who acted fast and bought the Bestop as soon as it was available has had reservations/regrets when the Specialty tops version became available several months later, which is considered to have a better fit than the Bestop version.<br>Personally I would go with the Specialty Top with the zip out side windows, the Best Top looks baggie in comparison.<br>The person who really would know is Todd Z. word around the sewing circle is Todd Z. is in contact with Bestop in a field testing capacity on improving there Early Bronco soft top, maybe he will see this thread and post a comment or two.<br>Later guys, Francois.<br>

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
I've seen both installed and still prefer the STC. It's all personal preference. BTW if you roll up your side windows you will definitely have a problem with the windows getting scratched. Around town may not be too bad but if you're doing anything off road I would zip them out. Also, if you get mud on them don't just try to wipe it off. Back east may not be real bad but in California most mud has sand in it and you'll scratch them big time. Spray it off as good as possible and then while keeping everything VERY wet you can wipe the rest off.

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
If you really don't want the zip out windows, STC still makes the fastrack top with the old style windows - its about $15 cheaper than the new one with zip out windows. When properly installed and new, the two tops are very comparable in fit and quality. <br>A couple of differences in the tops - the STC top requires use of a wiper motor drop bracket as their riser will not clear the motor is stock position - the Bestop uses a higher riser so the wiper motor stays itn the stock position. In the rear, with the Bestop, you can open the tailgate with out doing anything to the top, the STC still attaches to the tailgate with rails so you will have to pull it out first (I actually prefer the STC mounting as it seems more secure and sealed better). The STC top has more window area - I haven't driven with the Bestop, so I don't know if that corner area will provide a blind spot or not. The rail system that is used to attach the tops to the bed is very similar for both tops.<br>Over time the first version of the new Bestop seems to sag a bit and is no longer able to be tightened enough to be quite. If you talk to the guys at STC, they say its because of the geometry of the support bar, but maybe ToddZ has figures a way to stitch it better and Bestop will take his advise.<br>anyways, that's my $0.02

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
The Bestop has the same amount of view obstruction in the rear as does the hard top. It does sag a little but not bad. I do like the tail gate option though - the top is never toched to if I want to open the top. I have pictures on my web site - www.waverous.classicbroncos.com

72bronco

Bronco Guru
I've never seen a new Bestop up close but I can say that I'm very happy with my new STC top. STC also offers its tops with an option for tinted windows, something that I don't think Bestop has available yet. Also I bought a storage bag from STC to store my window panels when they are unzipped. Here's a few pics of my top:<br><br>Top with windows<br><br>Top without windows<br><br>Rear view with windows<br><br>Rear view without windows

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
[quote author=bsaunder link=board=5;threadid=10966;start=15#80688 date=1036613751]<br>tops.<br>Over time the first version of the new Bestop seems to sag a bit and is no longer able to be tightened enough to be quite. If you talk to the guys at STC, they say its because of the geometry of the support bar, but maybe ToddZ has figures a way to stitch it better and Bestop will take his advise.<br>anyways, that's my $0.02<br>[/quote]<br><br>I've given up on the re-stitching for awhile. Bestop told me to "stop the mods" last summer and that they would eventually make things right-whatever that means. I saw the engineer at SEMA that designed the thing but he was busy and I didn't get to to talk to him. I just put the windows back in last week and I'm back to the old flopping/banging parade I had last spring.<br><br>Todd Z.