• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best source for 4r70w

MonsterBIlly

I am going to regear bit am thinking about a new trans with overdrive first.
I am leaning toward a 4r70w. I def want auto.
So, where is the best place to source. Can buy new, bit wouldnt mind the option of used.
Can you fellas with experience let me know what is the best unit to buy. What years and what vehicles. I know i will need a controller as well.
I figured if i am going to regear i may as well donthe entire dricetrain at the same time and do it right.

rjrobin2002

Bronco Guru
Coparts.com if you dont want to pull it yourself. You can even choose based off year and mileage there. I got mine for $200 to my door and have put 20,000 miles so far.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
98 to 01 Explorer 5.0 would be a good source. 96 & 97 would be a second choice as the internals aren't quite as good. there are car donors as well but not sure what they are at this time...

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I bought one on Craigslist - guy was parting out the whole truck. I saw it drive around his yard. He pulled it $200 with AWD t-case. I had to give away the t-case no one wanted it!

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
if it is the explorer, it has to be the V-8. there is another bellhousing that will work but it is not the v-6 explorer. Also remember you will need something to adapt to the dana 20 or if you have all wheel drive you can bolt an aftermarket t/c or a np205 directly to the trans. i have sourced used ones and had them rebuilt by a local. the total cost on those has been about 1500.00 without the adapter. So copart is probably a more economical choice, or finding an explorer that is running is another econo way to go. the way i have been has not been the most economical. I currently have a used one in my shop that i have not been able to get rid of for cheap. it was working, but i dont remember the condition. be patient and save dollars :)

OP
OP
MonsterBIlly

MonsterBIlly

Im not in too much of a hurry. I have a newly rebuilt dana 20. I was going to buy the adapter and a controller.
Qas also thinking about doing an AOD for simplicity. Seems like many are devided on it. I am lookimg fornthe best road manners with a good low range as well. I know the 4r70w is a little lower but i personally dont thinknit will matter that much to me. Im more of a trail guy then a rock crawler.
I dont want to waste money bit i dont mind spending money to make things correct.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
4r70w is a better trans all the way around. i would be hard pressed to use an AOD.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
4R70W is WAY better than an AOD. Not a little better, WAY better. And AOD would only be a half step toward the 4R70W.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I would use a 4r70W over an AOD too. I would also use the NP205 because you do not need adapters. The D20 is fine but you still need to change the driveshafts because it is in a new position. The problem for me is you have to take the trans apart to use the adaptor. That requires time and expertise that also = money. With the NP205 you can unbolt the stock 4R70W and get another one out of a used truck for $200 and be done IF you have any problems. Explorer V8s with 4R70W are plentiful, low mileage, available anywhere. Once you customize the trans with a new output shaft for the adaptor you are committed to that transmission.

wsager

If you go with the 98-01 Explorer/Mountaineer in AWD (not the 2-wheel Drive), you can use the ZF adapter to use the D20 without replacing the output shaft. You just cut a little off the end of the output shaft. Many folks on here have done it that way.