• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best steering column replace for a 1973

powers4680

I need to replace my steering column and was looking a different brands. I see the Ididit brand for 74-77 but not earlier just trying to get some ideas. Thanks

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
What is your setup now? Manual or power steering? 1 pc or 2 pc shaft? What is wrong with your old column? Have a picture?

I don't know of anyone that makes a direct fit '73 column.The columns changed in '74. The hazard switch moved from the dash to the column and I believe the lower column bearing setup changed. I think the electrical connector changed as well. All of the changes are easily adaptable to a '73 though.

Are you looking for tilt or is your column just shot? There are rebuild kits available for the '73 columns as well.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA

Attachments

• 13441_8473_large.jpg
    13441_8473_large.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 13440_12909_large.jpg
    13440_12909_large.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
powers4680

powers4680

I have power steering, and auto column shifter. It is easy to adapt the 74 to fit my 73?

pooterpot

Loc.
Lumberton, Texas
I'm have the same setup (73' with power steering and column shift) and have been contemplating a different steering column, mostly I want something that allows me to have cancelling turn signals.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I'm have the same setup (73' with power steering and column shift) and have been contemplating a different steering column, mostly I want something that allows me to have cancelling turn signals.

My '73 has self cancelling turn signals.

I have considered using that '74-'77 tilt column.

I wouldn't mind having the hazard switch on the column.

My lower column bearing is for a '74 even though it is a '73 column.

pooterpot

Loc.
Lumberton, Texas
My '73 has self cancelling turn signals.

My '73 came with an aftermarket grant steering wheel that caused my turn signals to not cancel. Guess I should have mentioned that earlier. I want a tilt steering column that also fixes my turn signal cancellation issue is what I guess i meant lol.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
My '73 came with an aftermarket grant steering wheel that caused my turn signals to not cancel. Guess I should have mentioned that earlier. I want a tilt steering column that also fixes my turn signal cancellation issue is what I guess i meant lol.

I want tilt too.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's very easy to make these work with your '73 models. The biggest difference is the wiring connector, but even Ford used both a switch on the dash and a switch on the column for the hazards in early '74 models.

Physically, the columns bolt right up. Electrically it's easy enough to make them work either in conjunction with, or in lieu of, the dash mounted hazard switch. And the newer style turn signal switch with the single post instead of the dual post horn contacts simply needs to power a relay for the horn, because it can no longer power it directly through the column. Which in fact is a very desirable upgrade. I did that to my trucks even when I kept the stock columns. Horns work better and contacts last longer with a relay in the middle of the mix.

This means though, that you can't use your stock '73 and earlier steering wheel, but if you're going aftermarket that is not an issue. If you already have an aftermarket wheel, you'll need the appropriate adapter for the later style column.

The only other concern I can think of might be how your steering shaft is configured, or which steering box you have. But neither is a deal-breaker, and are very easy to deal with. Especially the steering box since you would be choosing your yoke/joint style at the time of purchase of the new shaft anyway.

If I've left anything out, I'm sure WH will correct that.:cool:

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Forgot to add that if your chassis wiring harness will be, or already has been chanced out for one of the aftermarket versions, they already include the relay in the horn circuit, so all you have to do is wire it according to their instructions.

Paul

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
I have power steering, and auto column shifter. It is easy to adapt the 74 to fit my 73?

Assuming you would go with the kit suggested the year would not matter because the kit is complete wheel to joint at the box.

If we switch gears and talk about our "Direct Fit" columns that is a different story. The direct fits are designed for you to replace only the column itself nothing else.

Can you put the 74 in the 73? Yes. What do you need to change to make it work? Steering wheel (switch to 74-77 stock or after market) but only if you care if the horn works. I've contemplated getting the old wheels to work with the later signal switch but since I have not done it I can't explain what would have to be done. If you are going with an aftermarket wheel and adapter then just buy for the 74-77 year model and that's it. Oh but you do have to hook up a horn relay which most 73s won't have and does not come with the column because by 74 the Broncos had one already.;D

$comparison

Least expensive direct fit for 74 $659 FREE FREIGHT column only http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/IDIDIT_Tilt_Column_Direct_Fit_74-75_Steel_Column_Shift

Complete kit wheel to joint on box $1119.43 (depending on options) http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/CustomTiltColumn-ColumnShift

Pretty big difference but just depends on budget and what you are building.

Jim

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I picked up a '78 Bronco column at the U Pull It for $25. It's not tilt but they had them. I don't like them and would also hate a chrome plated steering column. The Ford and after market wheel choices are far better for these larger diameter shift collars and the turn signal switch works better, is easier to replace, and has the momentary lane change feature. I just use the 15" '83 E250 black foam padded wheel and rubber horn switch. It looks a lot like the '74-'77 wheel but with smaller diameter and a thick padded rim.