• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best way to brake in new motor flattappet cam with pro flo4 system

MikeKC130J

Contributor
Going wit 351w rebuild however I’m going with pro-flow 4 EFi so I have to get that set up as well at the same time. I know in need to brake in the cam but I am sure I’ll have some growing pains with the Unfamiliar EFi system.
And I’m going with the 4r70w trans and I’ll have to go through the rigors of setting the electronic up on that as well. Can I brake the motor in without the trans hooked up. Thanks in advance!!

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
All the set up for the trans should be able to be done without the engine running, but it also is no issue running the engine without the tranny electronics hooked up.

With the EFI the one tricky thing to do is set up the timing. You can some times do this with the fuel pressure turned off and just cranking the engine. After ti starts just adjust up the idle for cam break in. Should be fine and good luck

fishinman78

Contributor
I just got done with the Pro Flow 4 on my 347 and it fired right off after loading the base map. I didn't use the wizard, I found my base map in the back of the book and entered it that way. The wizard did not work for me

I would think you just need to get some high zinc break in oil and get your oil level set correctly.

Make sure you have your timing set at 12 degrees on the balancer and rotor pointing at #1 on the compression stroke (per pro flow install instructions). Mark your distributor and pull it back out and remove the valve covers, Prime the system until you have oil flowing freely to the top of the heads.

Drop the distributor in rotate the engine over by hand a few revolutions to distribute the oil then fire the engine. Then I would just use the throttle adjustment screw on the throttle body to get you RPMS up and follow the cam manufacturer's break in procedure from there.

I wouldn't do any base idle or timing adjustments until fully broken in.

SDBMtber

I have the pro flo 4 on a 351W. Roller cam for me though. It fired right up first time with no drama. As long as the timing is “close” it should fire up and run well enough assuming you have the right base map loaded.

If you’re bored while you have it up at 2k Rpm for the cam break in, you could set the timing then. The pro flo lets you lock out any timing advance so you can set it at 12 degree at any rpm. I think I even saw a suggestion to do it at higher rpms to take some of the slop out of the crank to cam chain to distributor pickup system.

Good luck!

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Like fishinman said make sure you have the correct break in oil/zinc in it. Lucas makes a good break in additive if you dont have break in oil.