• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

best way to bring oil up in new motor?

bigbri69

Loc.
tomsriver
looks like this saturday ill be fireing up my new motor.woundering the best way you guys get the oil up befour you turn the key and do a dry start.i dont wanna buy the tool to drop down distributor cuz ill never use it again.and im told to run it in rev and to pull to valve covers and watch the oil come up is this true?any help guys thanks.

Desert Dweller

Loc.
Central WA
Pre oil it!!!!! Even if you buy the tool, (I made mine -- 351 rakes a cheap 5/16" socket welded to a rod, 289/302 takes a cheap 1/4" socket welded to a rod). That's a lot cheaper than another new engine....... (remember to spin it ccw) :cool:

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
If it was rebuilt right with assembly lube it will be fine if you pull the spark plugs and spin it over 5 or 6 revolutions till it oils. Prelude is over rated.

brewchief

Flat tappet or roller cam? If flat you do have the additive for the oil right?

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
The tool is cheap insurance.....if it was built right...you still need to pump it up....You can allways sell the tool once your new engine isup and running....Once you start it...bring the RPMs up slowly...to about 2500+ 3000...hold it for 20 minutes.....Now drain the oil.add a new filter...fill up the filter then attachto engine...fill as needed......Enjoy your new(broke in) Small block ....for years to come..

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
If it was rebuilt right with assembly lube it will be fine if you pull the spark plugs and spin it over 5 or 6 revolutions till it oils. Prelude is over rated.

x2
but.... epoxy the socket to the extension!! chap insurance, you can hammer the epoxy off later!:cool::cool:

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just tape a 1/4" socket to a long extension to lube the valve train.

This is exactly what I did. Used lots of tape, pulled on it to make sure it wouldn't come off.

Didn't bother taking the valve covers off. Shortly after I started pre-lubing it, I could hear oil
splashing against the insides of my valve covers.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Don't forget to turn counterclockwise(V8). Have someone watch the oil pressure gauge and you will see it come up, verifying everything is working properly.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I tried the pre oil thing but never got any oil to come up the pushrode. In the end i said piss on it and fired it up. Works fine. Once the motor starts up everything gets oil in less time than spinning a drill for 10 minutes like i did!

OP
OP
bigbri69

bigbri69

Loc.
tomsriver
I tried the pre oil thing but never got any oil to come up the pushrode. In the end i said piss on it and fired it up. Works fine. Once the motor starts up everything gets oil in less time than spinning a drill for 10 minutes like i did!

thats what some people tell me just unplug the coil wire and turn the key on for a sec then doi it like that a few times and thats all i need.im gonna try the drill for a few min and see.if not im going your way and turning the key!ill keep you posted !

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Id say it all depends what you did to the motor. Mine was a stock rebuild, with stock parts. When i spun mine with a drill you could imediatly tell when the pump gained pressure. I started mine for a few minutes the pulled the valve covers to adjust my valves. They wernt cl.osing all the way. When i pulled the covers i knew there was oil up in there for sure. Plus if you pull the oil sending unit and turn it over, oil will shoot out%)

Desert Dweller

Loc.
Central WA
Preoiling is cheap insurance..... Even tho SBF are not as prone as Chebby to wiping a cam on initial startup (BB Chebby are notorius - ) It's all related to valve spring pressure and valve train geometry. AND.... the cam lobes are oiled by the rods splashing returned oil from the heads and cam valley. That's why one wants oil pressure immediately and the reason that 2,000+ RPM for 20 minutes or more is called for. To get oil on the cam lobes. (and also the lower anti-wear additives in today's oils--i.e. magnesium and zinc):cool: