• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best way to Flush coolant???

HigginsHorse

My waterpump is going bad so I plan to replace it this weekend. I need to replace the coolant anyway, so now is a good time. What is the best way to flush the coolant from a 302? I know how to drain the coolant from the radiator, but I'm not sure about the rest of the coolant. I assume that the coolant will be very rusty, any suggestions on how clean the deposits? Can anyone tell me how much coolant I will need?
Thanks,
HigginsHorse

AZMike

Loc.
Flagstaff
I'd just get some radiator flush and follow the directions for that. You'll probably have to drain and refill a few times before you're done. I always pop my lower rad hose off to get the rest of the coolant out. An air compressor can help force the last of the liquid out of the system too. I'd say to buy 2 gallons of antifreeze - can't tell you for sure, but if you only buy 1, you know you're bound to run out before you get the whole system filled up! I try to run a 50/50 mix.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Also once you have the system well flushed, and clean buy 2 gallons of coolant, and 2 gallons of distilled water. A lot of times, or most times tap water has a lot of minerals that can cause problems down the road. Since distilled water has no impurities, it will stay clean a lot longer.

Most pharmacies sell distilled wter in gallon jugs pretty cheep.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
%) %) %) When you pull the pump use the hose and wash out both sides well the pump is off. They get a lot os sedement down in the block can cause it to run a little hot good luck and have fun.;D ;D ;D Bill %) :cool: ;D

OP
OP
H

HigginsHorse

Thanks for the replies. When I'm hosing out the engine should I use low pressure or something with more pressure? Will hosing it out force all of the old coolant in the engine?
Thanks.
HigginsHorse

AZMike

Loc.
Flagstaff
DonsBolt said:
Also once you have the system well flushed, and clean buy 2 gallons of coolant, and 2 gallons of distilled water. A lot of times, or most times tap water has a lot of minerals that can cause problems down the road. Since distilled water has no impurities, it will stay clean a lot longer.

Most pharmacies sell distilled wter in gallon jugs pretty cheep.

Oh yeah - didn't even think about that since we've got an R/O unit at home. Avoid tap water - you want to use distilled or R/O water in the mix.

musetech

Loc.
Alexandria
Flush the radiator from top inlet with a garden hose and the lower into a bucket. This forces all the junk packed into the bottom of the tubes.

I'm heading out Sunday to do this to one of our gen sets, 320 gal capacity with 1114 tube Mesabi's that's been having overheating issues.

The flush compounds work well. Just don't drive around with them for more than a day.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
You can buy backflush kits that go in the heater hose that backflush the coolant from the engine. They hook up to a normal garden hose. (They're nothing more than a T that goes into the hose with a set of directions to make it easy) When your flushing it run it until the water is running clear. You may be able to accomplish the same thing by just running it into the upper hoses but don't forget to flush the heater core while your at it.

OP
OP
H

HigginsHorse

Thanks again for the replies. My plans got changed this weekend and I didn't have time to get it done. Hopefully in the next couple of days I'll get it squared away. Thanks for the advise. Since I haven't done this before, its great to have everyone's expertise to rely on.
HigginsHorse

OP
OP
H

HigginsHorse

Help!!! Waterpump isn't coming off.

Ok, so I'm having some trouble getting the waterpump to come off. I've got the fan and pulley off and the hoses too. I have all of the bolts out, sort of. One bolt broke off, but it was all the way down in the threads so it shouldn't be holding the pump on. I also broke another bolt right at the head. So all of the bolts are off, but I have one shaft of a bolt causing some friction. What's my next step? I can't get the pump to budge. I haven't even "cracked the seal". Do I need to remove the radiator to get in there. I may need to remove it anyway, because I'll have to drill out the two bolts.
Any suggestions???????????

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
HigginsHorse said:
Ok, so I'm having some trouble getting the waterpump to come off. I've got the fan and pulley off and the hoses too. I have all of the bolts out, sort of. One bolt broke off, but it was all the way down in the threads so it shouldn't be holding the pump on. I also broke another bolt right at the head. So all of the bolts are off, but I have one shaft of a bolt causing some friction. What's my next step? I can't get the pump to budge. I haven't even "cracked the seal". Do I need to remove the radiator to get in there. I may need to remove it anyway, because I'll have to drill out the two bolts.
Any suggestions???????????

Make sure you have ALL the bolts out, tap the tip of the pump shaft with a hammer, the PO may have put allot of glue on it. Might have been on there for a long time too. The bolt(s) broken off may slow your progress, you MAY have to remove the timing cover to get the broken bolts out. If there is a chance you could damage the Rad, take it out. By the way, I like to pull the block drains out to make sure I get everything cleaned out. 1/4 inch plugs to the rear on the drvrs side, toward the front on the passenger side. Stock drain plugs had an inset allen head. If they have never been out they my be a pain to get out.

OP
OP
H

HigginsHorse

I got it! I took out the radiator and ended up knocking it with a rubber mallet. The broken bolt still caused some extra effort, but it's finally off. Thanks.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i got the flush kit and backflushed my cooling system, put in some cleaner, ran that, then backflushed again. I still have not been able to get all the rust out. Any other ideas?

OP
OP
H

HigginsHorse

I ended up taking out the radiator to get the waterpump off. When I drained what was left in the radiator, it was very rusty and this after I had already drained the radiator. Rust may be collecting in the bottom of the radiator. I'm going to flush mine with the hose tonight. Hopefully that will get the remaining rust out.

Bolt removal question. I have a bolt that broke off inside the block. This bolt is the bottom bolt that holds the alternator bracket. My common sense tells me to drill out the hole with a drill bit that is slightly smaller than the hole and then retap the threads. Is there a better way? Anyone know what the thread size is?

Smarty6

Loc.
Saskatchewan, Canada
Istead of tapping a new hole, go and purchase a set of "easy outs", they are made just for the problem you are having, you drill a hole smaller than the bolt and than screw in the easy-out, it is just a bolt with backward threads that will back out most stubborn bolts, just remember to use lots of penitrating oil before you start.

OP
OP
H

HigginsHorse

Thanks for the tip on the "easy out". My neighbor had suggested the same thing. Bolt came right out, after about 3 hours. Everything is back together and running fine. I didn't realize how loud my waterpump had become. I can actually hear the engine again. Wahoo!!