• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best way to get rid of Double serp. setup

forestguy

Loc.
Reno, NV
I am putting a 5.0 out of a 88 Lincoln. It has the Double serp. setup on it. I have looked through all old threads and can't find an answer.

What are my options? How do I get these back to a single belt so the fan dosen't hit the radiator?

Thanks guys,
Rodd

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I am putting a 5.0 out of a 88 Lincoln. It has the Double serp. setup on it. I have looked through all old threads and can't find an answer.

What are my options? How do I get these back to a single belt so the fan dosen't hit the radiator?

Thanks guys,
Rodd

I went junk yarding and found pulleys from a 1988-ish Thunderbird 5.0, probably the same pulleys found on a foxbody Mustang 5.0. Is your waterpump pulley grooved or smooth? If its grooved you're going to have to find a reverse rotation water pump and smooth pulley.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Just buy a setup from the 88 and newer mustangs using the 5.0. It takes a bit of trimming but works fine. The best would be to find a front assembly from a 96 or newer explorer which will give you at least 2.5 inches between the fan and stock radiator.

Ben

OP
OP
forestguy

forestguy

Loc.
Reno, NV
I guess I am off to the junkyard in the morning.

I need a smooth pully? I guess the pully runs on the outside of the belt?

Thanks

72Sport

Bronco Guru
If you can't find the Explorer setup you want 86-93 Mustang. 85 and earlier is different. Don't know anything about 94 up. Summit shows a lot of aftermarket stuff for 86-93 in their catalog.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
The single belt serp system uses a smooth water pump pulley and yes, the back of the belt runs over the smooth pulley. It does kind of a reverse "S" if I remember correctly, grooves on the crank, smooth back on the h20 pump.

The Explorer accessories definitely give a little more room but you do lose the ability to run a mechanical fuel pump if you run a carb. You will need everything off the front of the Explorer 5.0 though, down to the timing chain cover. You won't be able to reuse whatever alternator or PS pump you're running either, as the Explorer is a different mount.

The double-belt serpentine system uses a grooved water pump pulley on a standard rotation water pump. You'll definitely need to swap pumps if you go with the Mustang/T-bird 5.0 setup. Have fun at the junk yard... I always do!

byson1

Loc.
Nashville
And if you find an Explorer or Mustang...with a 5.0...that has not already been attacked you're a luck guy. If you have'nt already, you might want to come up with a plan B. I have a 5.0 Mercury Cougar setup from an 93 model that gives pretty good clearance. I beleive all the 88-93 Cougars, T-birds and Mark Vlls with the 5.0 are similar and provide good clearance.