• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

best way to learn?

PartnersInCrime

Ok, so I like to think that I have a relatively mechanical mind and that I'm capable of figuring things out for myself, but for the life of me I can't find any resource that tells me what the theory is behind different parts (for example the shape of a cylinder head) and if that theory is all talk or if there's actually something to it. I want to rebuild my engine myself and don't know what parts I need and don't know if it's worth upgrading certain things. so, my question to all of you, what is the best way for me to learn if i want to try and do it "right" the first time? I don't want to put my engine in my bronco and take it out all of the time just to see, I just got the paint done and don't want it messed up.

thanks for all of the advice, guys!

PiC

rplivin

Loc.
Jasper Al
I have been working on cars for a long time new to
broncos. When it was time to rebuild my C4 I ordered some videos from Bad Shoe productions a guy name Ken Collins. He is a Ford master tech. The trans video was great went step by step on teardown and rebuild. He has the engine videos, and others on his website just do a search.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
I'd suggest buying another motor and rebuilding that if you don't want any downtime. You can usually find a good core for less than $500. Do you want a major upgrade, or just a rebuilt motor? If you just want a rebuilt motor you can use most of the parts that came off the core with the exception of the pistons, which come with a rebuild kit.

If you want all new parts, then that's a whole other ball of wax. Replacing every part takes time and money. You have to select parts that will work well together to achieve the result you want. For example, if you have a DD then you may not want all your power to be on the bottom end. A stock spec cam from an exploder motor will probably serve you fine for a DD.

If you have some time read over the "351 rebuild thread" in my signature. I rebuilt that motor and selected all new parts with the exception of the block, crank, and rods. I thought I knew a little going into it, but in hindsight I didn't know $hit. The knowledgeable folks here walked me through it, and provided a lot of good info for someone wanting to do the same thing.

HGM

Loc.
Senoia, Ga.
Honestly, if you're looking for detail on the size and shape of a combustion chamber, valve angle and size, etc... Thats going to be a tough nut to crack.. I'm sure there are many different books out there, but to most of us, thats learned science over years of trial and error, hopefully someone elses.. The shape of the "heads" is all about efficiency. How the air flows in and out and the turbulance that happens while its in there. If it flows in, mixes well, and is lit evenly by the spark plug, without hot spots/detonation, it tends to be more efficient and provide more power. However, the velocity of small valves vs large valves will impact the tq vs HP numbers...

In a nutshell, there's a ton of info out there to be had. But you'll need to do the searching for the info that you want, in particular. There's some REALLY sharp folks on here that can give you the detail you want. But, there's also some of us that understand some of it just well enough to accept it and not question some of these theories.. There may also be, typically in the mustang world, many guys who swear by something they heard rather than what they have seen.. The internet can be a tough place to learn, great info, but its up to you to weed it out. I'd venture to guess that you could find some highly recomended engine builder books, maybe find a guy that actually worked for a professional race team and pic his brain... Could very well be some of those on here, some of these guys are sharp..

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
When i rebuilt my 289 i got a video from the library that actually was about rebuilding a 302 which is the same moter. I watched it over and over, it tought me where the parts went and how they went there. Then i got a book that was also about a 302 rebuild and it had everything in it. And since i had seen the video i knew exactly what i was reading in the book.

I found that the 302 block was a easy book or vid to find because of all the mustang guys. After my moter was done i had a complete understand of the internals of a moter, and now know that a old moter like my 289 is verry simply and easy to rebuild. It actually didnt cost me much to do. I did have to buy a few tools but they were cheep.

I rebuilt mine to stock though so that kept it easy and cheep. And my moter ran fine before i rebuilt it so i knew i could reuse the crankshaft and camshaft, and i also reused the pistons and heads. I just replaced the parts that wear out over time. I didnt see any reason to add expensive parts to a 289. If i want more power ill get a 351.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X2 on books (how to build small block fords) and even hotrod/mustang magazines. But even with that info you have to take it for what its worth as many times they are just trying to squeeze ever last bit of power out of a engine and usually only at high RPM's which doesnt always apply to a bronco. But still it gives you ideas and can help when you have to ask questions.

Really dont get to caught up in things like combustion chamber shapes and stuff ford actually did a decent job even with stock heads most years anyways there are a few not so great stock heads out there. About fords only draw back with small block heads is the exhuast ports are less than steller but again on lower RPM engines its not as big of a issue. but yes gains can be made with mods or aftermarket parts but for the most part the aftermarket will incorperate the best features into there products. The one part that makes the most differance is the camshaft it makes the engine so its one of the most critical things to pick.
As for learning doing it yourself is the best way once you build your first engine you will gain a lot of knowledge and have a better understanding. My advice is to keep your first build very mild.(very close to stock) Be realistic with your power expectations a 350 hp 302 is not a good bronco engine unless your racing.
Here's what I would suggest start with your basic engine determine your needs/wants as for how you intend to drive it(hiway, trails both) consider tire size, axle gearing and tranny as well. Next pick a camshaft that suits your needs call a few cam companies get there suggestions post up here as well you'll get lots of good advice here and real world feedback as well. Then you can do a regular rebuild on the block maybe limit compression ratio to 9.5-1(depends on cam choice and heads)get the heads rebuilt as well and assemble it. A few other things to consider is intake and carb or EFI? headers or stock manifolds? igintion? again post up here lots of real world experiance.
So do some reading gain yourself some knowledge and form some ideas for your engine then you can start asking questions about certain parts ect.

prosys1

Loc.
Victorville, CA
X2 on books (how to build small block fords) and even hotrod/mustang magazines. But even with that info you have to take it for what its worth as many times they are just trying to squeeze ever last bit of power out of a engine and usually only at high RPM's which doesnt always apply to a bronco. But still it gives you ideas and can help when you have to ask questions.

Really dont get to caught up in things like combustion chamber shapes and stuff ford actually did a decent job even with stock heads most years anyways there are a few not so great stock heads out there. About fords only draw back with small block heads is the exhuast ports are less than steller but again on lower RPM engines its not as big of a issue. but yes gains can be made with mods or aftermarket parts but for the most part the aftermarket will incorperate the best features into there products. The one part that makes the most differance is the camshaft it makes the engine so its one of the most critical things to pick.
As for learning doing it yourself is the best way once you build your first engine you will gain a lot of knowledge and have a better understanding. My advice is to keep your first build very mild.(very close to stock) Be realistic with your power expectations a 350 hp 302 is not a good bronco engine unless your racing.
Here's what I would suggest start with your basic engine determine your needs/wants as for how you intend to drive it(hiway, trails both) consider tire size, axle gearing and tranny as well. Next pick a camshaft that suits your needs call a few cam companies get there suggestions post up here as well you'll get lots of good advice here and real world feedback as well. Then you can do a regular rebuild on the block maybe limit compression ratio to 9.5-1(depends on cam choice and heads)get the heads rebuilt as well and assemble it. A few other things to consider is intake and carb or EFI? headers or stock manifolds? igintion? again post up here lots of real world experiance.
So do some reading gain yourself some knowledge and form some ideas for your engine then you can start asking questions about certain parts ect.

As stated by broncnaz, it all depends on what you're planning on using the rig for. Decide what you want and then do your research. All the parts have to be "married" together. Probably start with cam and go from there. I know Comp Cams has a bunch of good info.

VT_Don

Partner, I hesitate to give advise, as what works for me may not suit the average bear.
That said, I am a HUGE advocate of reference text. Read EVERYTHING you can get your hands on. Seek out a SUCCESSFUL local race team and volunteer your time. Be a sponge and absorb every bit of data you gather. Soon, you will be able to filter it against accumulation of knowledge and assess if it's valid. Keep in mind this hobby is full of simple-minded, ignorant goobers. Again, weigh all you hear & read. Enthusiast magazines are OK, but are mainly a vehicle for advertisements, directed at a 14 year old mentality. Step up to engineering periodicals that are rich on cutting edge technology.
For starters, get your hands on this material;

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...ets+by+smokey&sprefix=power+secrets+by+smokey
http://www.amazon.com/Chevrolet-Rac...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1298845265&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/Engineer-Moto...1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1298842651&sr=1-1-spell
http://www.sae.org/mags/aei/subscribe.htm

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PartnersInCrime

WOW! Thanks for all of the advice everyone!!! Lots of good information, I'm going to get "how to rebuild small block fords" and start there, I'll probably have tons of questions for you guys, but thank you in advance. I'm always impressed with how willing you all are to help, it's a breath of fresh air, so once again, thank you!

Steve83- best quote ever, but it's too true, I've gained lots of "experience" so far, maybe too much... just not with selecting engine parts, still new to me although I have fixed some...