• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best way to mount custom bumpers...

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
Bumper mounting ideas...

I have built a front bumper but cant decide how I want to mount it. I was going to slide 2 x 4 tube into the frame rails but now I am considering forming some plates to fit inside...

I am also considering making those plates with a flange that I would bolt the bumper to as opposed to welding directly to the bumper. This way I could incorporate some adjustment in to it... left right and up and down...

Any other ideas out there?

Greg

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
You should consider plating your frame wherever and however you decide to mount your bumper. 2X4 tube works well for the front and because it is relatively tight helps reinforce the bumper a little, but some 1/4 or 3/8" plate welded to the outside on all 4 sides as far back as you can will make whatever mounting scenario closer to bullet proof.

Good luck.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
The PO welded my previous bumper on - made it a real PITA to remove. I'd recomend bolting it down if you ever plan on taking it off again.

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
You should consider plating your frame wherever and however you decide to mount your bumper. 2X4 tube works well for the front and because it is relatively tight helps reinforce the bumper a little, but some 1/4 or 3/8" plate welded to the outside on all 4 sides as far back as you can will make whatever mounting scenario closer to bullet proof.

Good luck.

I think that is the direction I am going to go...

I actually started building this bumper years ago... I just got busy with everyting else and never finished it... I am going to complete it in the next couple of weeks but I now have a better idea for a plate bumper I want to build. So I may need to build a mounting system that can be moved to someone elses EB as well if I decide to sell this one in the future.

Thanks,

Greg

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used the 2x4 inserts on the front and rear bumpers on mine but also added additional bolts laterally, not using only the single stock vertically oriented holes. Been heavily punished and no evidence of the frame holes stretching or elongating. Adding doubler plates is a good idea though...that frame is really thin

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Stack two 2x2 tubes in each frame horn and tack-weld them together (NOT to the frame). Mark thru the factory holes, remove & drill, then bolt a nut inside each and weld it in place. Remove the bolts, finish the welds, reinstall the stacks, and bolt them down. Then weld the bumper to the 4 tubes. You can drill some new holes in the sides of the frame and add more welded nuts inside if you plan to have a winch or recovery eyes. Let part of the stacks penetrate the bumper for strong recovery points.