• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best way to replace an oil pan gasket in the Bronco??

70_Steve

Old Guy
So I'm finally getting things back together... Newly rebuilt engine back in the truck, EFI conversion basically in place, transfer case rebuilt/repaired. I would have had the engine running last weekend, but a patch welded on a corner of the oil pan leaked, so I bought a new oil pan, along with a one-piece gasket. The first project today is to install that new oil pan.

I get the oil pan and gasket out, and layed the gasket on the oil pan. Now I have a concern that the gasket may not install correctly at each rounded end of the oil pan. I've been trying to decide whether to wire the gasket up to the block, and fit the oil pan to it. Or, do I attempt to push the oil pan up into place with the gasket taped? to the top of the oil pan. I was thinking of using a bunch of small pieces of masking tape in between each bolt hole to keep the gasket in position while I put it up into place. But still my biggest concern is the rear of the oil pan, where I can't see it once it's up in place.

Anyone care to share their best method of reinstalling the oil pan, insuring the gasket stays in place???

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
my best method is use a 1 piece gasket, and use the plastic line up pins that hold the gasket in place while you put the pan on.

6daze

What gasket are you using? I used the one piece gasket from napa. It came with four plastic studs that screw into the block and snap into the gasket. These hold the gasket in place as you bolt up the pan.

Otherwise I would use some "hi tack" spray adhesive between the pan and gasket. Then bolt it up from there.

OP
OP
70_Steve

70_Steve

Old Guy
my best method is use a 1 piece gasket, and use the plastic line up pins that hold the gasket in place while you put the pan on.
What gasket are you using? I used the one piece gasket from napa. It came with four plastic studs that screw into the block and snap into the gasket. These hold the gasket in place as you bolt up the pan.
OK, so I bought the FMS one-piece gasket, but it didn't come with any plastic line-up pins or studs...

But the idea, then, is to place the gasket into position on the block, then put the pan up to it?

Is this (pic) what you guys are talking about?

Attachments

• alignment pin.jpg
    alignment pin.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
OP
OP
70_Steve

70_Steve

Old Guy
I think I lucked out!!:cool: Since this is a new rebuild, when I knocked the pan loose, the gasket stayed in place. All except for the two front corners of the cork gasket. So, a little dab of RTV under both corners, and some RTV around the front and rear seal area, and I'm going to call it good! At least until I start driving it... Then we'll see...

OP
OP
70_Steve

70_Steve

Old Guy
Read this:
Thanks Steve. The machine shop installed the old four-piece cork and rubber gasket. They're generally fine when installed properly. I installed one on this engine 6 years ago and it never leaked. I did dab silicone in the corners and around the end seals. Guess I'll see what happens.

I wonder why FMS didn't include the installation pins/guides/plug things with their gasket?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I've never used anything but the cork ones. Never a leak. Just don't use RTV on the cork. It will squish the cork right out. Use Gaskasinch on the pan side, motor oil on the block side, and RTV in the corners.

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
I use weatherstrip adhesive, yellow glue, amber tack, or gorilla snot. Glue the gasket to the pan, use a little silicone in the corners, just remember the stuff squirts inside just like outside...don't use too much.