• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best way to replace radius arm bushings

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
I unhooked everything and slid it all forward out from under the truck. then once I got the c-bushings in I was able to make sure the arms were at the same angle (use the Wild Horses video for step by step directions - it WORKS). then once done with that I slid it all back under the truck and stabbed the radius arms FIRST. made it so easy. then I connected the springs and everything else.

After all this I had ZERO "Bronco Lean" but after a few thousand miles of the suspension being used, I now have a little drivers side "Bronco Lean" Im going to re-gear and rebuild both axles this winter so I will correct that lean with a dab of passenger lean to maybe correct this issue

Hope this helps

Chuck

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Dude.....boy did I mess up. Went out there to loosen some stuff up (shocks mainly) then decided to loosen one of the radius nuts (the one that the bushing was messed up) and said WTH, Ill do the other side....no jack stands, no safety straps..and BAM...front end rolled forward and the only thing that saved me was the radius arms hit the pavement...I slowly rolled out from under it, and had a beer and smoke....Need to try to upload the video I made...

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Damn Mark! Glad nothing bad happened! You know I got to see that video though right???

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Did you take out a fender or two? Hope everything was ok. Check that your brake line didn't get over stressed. Glad you were not hurt.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
It is too far back. Especially if the back is light.

You are not kidding. I have my two post under the bracket for the radius arms in front and that is about as far back as I would chance it. Still gives me the willys.

Attac

Contributor
Dude.....boy did I mess up. Went out there to loosen some stuff up (shocks mainly) then decided to loosen one of the radius nuts (the one that the bushing was messed up) and said WTH, Ill do the other side....no jack stands, no safety straps..and BAM...front end rolled forward and the only thing that saved me was the radius arms hit the pavement...I slowly rolled out from under it, and had a beer and smoke....Need to try to upload the video I made...

First off. Glad your ok
Now.... This is a classic example of why women have a longer lifespan than men. We don't follow instructions. Even though we know we should.

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Hey guys,
I talked to Chuck, and in his defense he meant to lift it that way only enough to lift it high enough to do the C bushing work. Meaning just to get the weight off the front tires. It may not have been clear, but he did not mean lift it up high from those points and get under it. Hopefully that helps clear that up some.

Chuck,
it was great talking to you this past weekend. I'm sure we'll run into each other at some event. I Look forward to it!

Tyler

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Just a note on putting a vehicle on a two post. It is a good practice to strap the frame of the vehicle to the arms of the hoist to keep it from teeter toddering if the balance becomes biased when removing parts. Just wrap a ratchet strap around the frame and arms of hoist and tighten it up. Ken

Attac

Contributor
Yea
I called Tyler to explain that like bowsher said, all Broncos are different. The last bronco I did had a Plate rear bumper with swing away tire carrier and a 37" tire on the carrier so to lift it a few inches to do the radius swap mine worked out fine. Usually I lift from the radius brackets but I still don't like lifting Broncos too high on a 2 post. Hard to find good lift points that are stable.

Good talking to you Tyler. You got my number now. Contact me any time.
Chuck

Brokenn that's a good extra safety step. My wife made me buy the big tall support stands to use as extra safety measur.

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Just noticed mine have been falling apart. Now sure how this happened. Just ordered the degreed rubber bushings from Wildhorses. Now Ill have black bushings and blue C bushings...

Attachments

• IMG955908.jpg
    IMG955908.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 22