• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Winch For the price? cable vs poly ?

shima77

Loc.
reno
Just finishing up my Bronco project and looking for the best #9500 winch for the Money...I know Warn is great but really pricey, thinking about the Superwinch and have heard good reviews...also, any help on the pros and cons of going with a cable or the poly synthetic cable would be great. I would like to do some good wheeling and rock crawling but nothing near competition level. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
cable is OLD SCHOOL. The rope is the only way to go. Would you put a CD player in ur truck or a 8track?

well yeah how else would i get to listen to my 8 tracks;D the thing with rope is it isn't UV resistant and torn on rocks other than that i would like rope. as far as a winch i got a smitty built and it works pretty good.

OP
OP
S

shima77

Loc.
reno
Thanks guys for the input...that Recon winch does look like an "animal" for a great price....I guess a good cover is in order to protect the rope, maybe I will get a WARN cover and nobdy will know the difference ...hehe!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
well yeah how else would i get to listen to my 8 tracks;D the thing with rope is it isn't UV resistant and torn on rocks other than that i would like rope. as far as a winch i got a smitty built and it works pretty good.

cable guy myself too.. till I can afford 'rope' some day....

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Thanks guys for the input...that Recon winch does look like an "animal" for a great price....I guess a good cover is in order to protect the rope, maybe I will get a WARN cover and nobdy will know the difference ...hehe!

Do it to it... Whatever works right...

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
I got the smitty XRC-10 comp series with the synthetic line. Ran me about $600 out the door but 4Wheelparts tacks on a 8-10% fee to cover the shipping (even though it was sitting in the store when I bought it!). Aloha chickensh!t! So far it's been flawless sitting in it's original box. Came with a cover and a $50 rebate.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
rope is it isn't UV resistant and torn on rocks

First off there is usually a sleve the slides back and forth on the rope to protect from rocks and uv. You need to protect the rope just as you would a cable. We all know the benifits of rope outweighs a cable. and a rope can be retyed if broke. try tying a knot in ur broken cable! If your buying new dont skimp or cheese out....get it with the rope! for as often as you use it you wont regret! The rope technology has been around for ever (ie. sailboating, and rock climbing) and just recently put to use in the winch industry. Within a few years the cable type winch wont even be a option!

NYLES

Bronco Guru

With recon cover and shippin 520$ to the door just ordered it.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
With recon cover and shippin 520$ to the door just ordered it.

I tried but there seems to be something wrong with the site (or my computer), it sends me back to the home page when I click continue after choosing the billing address and empties the cart. Weird

Jim W.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
hmm mine went through and had conformation emil in a bout 3 mins?

NYLES

Bronco Guru
will do...I looked up alot of reviews before I did this cant find a bad word about it anywhere, get this Recons site sells it for $699, but lists it at $999

bswakeboarder

I purchased the recon 10,500 a while ago, and it works great. Just used it this week to pull two diesels out of the mud. They were down to there frames. I had to dead man two diesels to the back of my bronco to be able to pull them out.

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
I have seen alot more broken ropes than I have cables. Besides UV & the issues on rocks, Mud gets in them and grinds them apart from the inside. They have some advantages- the biggest being the fact they don't release stored energy like a cable does when it snaps.

FWIW- I have just seen too many fail on the trail.

TD

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I have seen alot more broken ropes than I have cables. Besides UV & the issues on rocks, Mud gets in them and grinds them apart from the inside. They have some advantages- the biggest being the fact they don't release stored energy like a cable does when it snaps.

FWIW- I have just seen too many fail on the trail.

TD

i am not getting into that debate again;D