• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Year

jj_jenkins

For a potential first time EB purchaser, what's the group's opinion on the best year to buy? Also, which trim package is your favorite?

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I don't believe any year is Best, I would focus on finding a solid non rusted one.

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
If you want power steering, dana 44, power breaks then i would say any bronco after 1973 i think?? Correct me if im wrong ?:?

1973 Houston

Loc.
Houston
my 73 didn't have power brakes but did have a dana and power steering guess it was a option.... but now i have hydroboost so all is well
~Ryan

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
74 but only becuse it was my first........I've just added the options it didn't come with.

Any 73-75 because the D44 is considered better and the T style steering.....76-77 have the Y steering and most change that out when lifting......

Tim

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
jj...

What do you plan to do with your EB? Are you thinking mall crawler, tarmac terror, or off road warrior?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
It would depend on what your plans are for the car. If you want to keep it stock, you would want a later one with all the upgrades already in place. If you don't mind modifying the car, any Bronco will do. Personally, I prefer the finished look of the stock gas doors on a '77.;) And above all, cowl rust is a bust!:cry:

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
I would say it depends on the smog laws of your state. Look for the latest model that is smog (or smog test like in CA) exempt. As much as I hate body work, I hate dealing with smog requirements even more.

Example:
There's a guy here who swapped in a Mustang EFI 5.0 in his Bronco. The year of the Mustang he got the engine from had 3 catalytic converters in it. What did he have to do? He had to put 3 cats under his Bronco. I think it's the cleanest running Bronco ever, not counting the propane guys.

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
I would say it depends on the smog laws of your state. Look for the latest model that is smog (or smog test like in CA) exempt. As much as I hate body work, I hate dealing with smog requirements even more.
I agree.
Here in Delaware the cut-off is 1968 so a 66 or 67 would be exempt from emissions.
You could always upgrade the other stuff along the way.

OP
OP
J

jj_jenkins

jj...

What do you plan to do with your EB? Are you thinking mall crawler, tarmac terror, or off road warrior?

Mostly a family fun ride. Offroad would be minimal. I have a 72 Sport in mind that's a real nice survivor. Unfortunately, I too am a huge fan of Ranger trim and the later years 73-77. I suppose anything can be modified to suit...

This 72 I'm looking at has power brakes (add on) but no power steering. I'm mechanical, but I've never worked on an EB. There is an AC compressor where I would think the PS pump would go.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jj_jenkins

Example:
There's a guy here who swapped in a Mustang EFI 5.0 in his Bronco. The year of the Mustang he got the engine from had 3 catalytic converters in it. What did he have to do? He had to put 3 cats under his Bronco. I think it's the cleanest running Bronco ever, not counting the propane guys.

I'm in CA. So, a pre 76 would be nice in that the motor could be greatly modified without having to deal with this crumby state's ridiculous rules.

kiddingknot

Loc.
Orlando
74 but only becuse it was my first........I've just added the options it didn't come with.

Any 73-75 because the D44 is considered better and the T style steering.....76-77 have the Y steering and most change that out when lifting......

Tim

Just remember a lot of early 73's still had the T-Shifter. That was the year of the change over.

76 One ton

Loc.
Shawnee, Ok
Any year would be great! I prefer the later years with P/S P/B Dana 44. Look for one with minimal rust. They do sell pretty much any parts for replacement.

BRONCOBERT

I would have to say 77 for reasons stated above^^ but I would buy a rust free Bronco of any year over a rusty one of desired year.

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
I'm in CA. So, a pre 76 would be nice in that the motor could be greatly modified without having to deal with this crumby state's ridiculous rules.

Keep in mind that pre-'76 vehicles are only exempt from bi-annual testing, not smog laws in general.

Technically, they still have to be emissions compliant. If you're belching out enough fumes to make a cop's eyes water when he's behind you, a "fix it" ticket for excessive emissions will likely be in your future.

Then, good luck dealing with that if you've heavily modified the engine, removed the catalytic converter, etc.