• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Big Hoov's Cage Fun

Recko555

The tie-in metal isn't going to bend, it is going to rotate about the bushing.

FerrumCampitor,
That is my point. The body metal is taking the brunt of the support. The body imetal is going to shear. If it were support the way I mentioned, the frame is supported by the tie-in kit.

Someone mentioned that if the truck was on "its lid" it would be a bad situation for the tie-ins, in actuallity, it would be best if it was exactly on top of the cage. With force pushing equal on the passenger and drivers sides, the cage tubes (tube going from drivers to passenger sides) would be keeping the tie-ins from rotating. But still weight pushing on body.
Worst situation all force on passenger or drivers side = rotation, where the body metal is resisting the rotation. Going to shear there first.

Is this going to work, yeah kinda, but I wouldn't choose it.

OP
OP
RajinCajun

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
I got what ya'll are saying... with the lower tube welded on the frame theroetically it can't rotate at the top point unless hit with lots-o-force.

I like this design for ease of removal for welding, additions later etc. But I completely understand your point.

OP
OP
RajinCajun

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
Thanks, it was quite a bit of work, but well worth it to see the finished product.. We just took some pics of cages and pulled what Jerry liked and went to town and added as we went along.. It really fits the lines of the Bronco nice.. I can't wait to see the cargo rack mounted to the tabs we put on the bare cage..

Here are a few more pics.. The bottom of the B pillars have 4 bolts :p .

Attachments

• S2400092.JPG
    S2400092.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 68
  • S2400118.JPG
    S2400118.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 63
  • S2400067.JPG
    S2400067.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 54
  • S2400074.JPG
    S2400074.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 55
  • S2400126.JPG
    S2400126.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 74

Imagator

Loc.
Land O' Lakes, FL
I posted earlier but I gotta say it again, that cage looks Awesome! If you want to make some money I will buy one. Ive been looking for one the past few months but cant seem to find one that I want. You should consider building a few. I will be your first customer. I wish I had your talent. Great Job!

brian72

Early Bronco Student
definitely let's see some pics of the roof rack mounted. I need to do the same thing and want to see your setup.

bigjhoov

nobody
32.JPG

23.JPG

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Cage and Rack looks pretty sweet, those hubcaps are actually pretty awesome on there too, especially with the rims black!

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
What are you using for equipment? Specifically, what bender and notcher? Also do you like the tools you were using or is there something better? Looks great!!!

OP
OP
RajinCajun

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
Pro Tools Pro105HD Bender, notcher from Keith at XtremeCrawlers, and Bend-Tech EZ3D. Planning to get a plane-of-bend bracket, angle finder/protractor style, and the pipe notch finders(like are in Jeg's).

sfaforester

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
SW, Arkansas
Jerry, that thing looks good. Rajin, did you build it onto the bronco or take measurments, welded it up, then stuck it on?

Very nice job. I love the tie it to the frame. I may have to come down there and let you tie in my crab cage.

I look forward to seeing it at Katemcy...or sooner.;)

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
Excellent job!
Not to beat the point to death, but you could just mount the bushing at the frame with the bolt vertical. Then it could only hinge front to back and not up and down. As far as safety with all the cross bars on the bottom I don't think the cage is going to punch through the floor and your tie-ins will keep it from ripping off the frame which would is more likely to happen. Hopefully you will never have to test it!

OP
OP
RajinCajun

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
Jerry, that thing looks good. Rajin, did you build it onto the bronco or take measurments, welded it up, then stuck it on?

It was built and tacked into place in the Bronco. I really need to get a plane of bend bracket, the tube ends do not line up after several bends.. but that is because of not actually getting it square again for the rest of the bends I am guessing. This was the longest cage we had built. The tubes were only off by an inch but a small ratchet strap put things in place for sizing and tacking..

The frame tie in's that way was easy, measure, cut, tack, then pull them out and fully weld, then bolt them back in. Could the tie in's rotate, sure, but it would have to bend the body, and the cage.... and like stated above, with the lower bars, I don't think it could punch through the floor. Unless Jerry decides to run the Baha 1000 I think we are safe :) :)