• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Billett Grill??

triggers68

Loc.
El Dorado, AR
I have some grill damage that I need to address and had a thought. I thought of cutting the grill opening out and building a tube grill (billett style)using either round or square stock and having it chrome plated. Anyone ever seen this or have any thoughts to share?

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I don't think it would look good. I've seen some cobbled together grills over the years and have yet to see one I liked.

I did like the quad headlight monte carlo conversion grill though.

Attachments

• bronco%2520air%2520021.jpg
    bronco%2520air%2520021.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 297
  • DSC03450.JPG
    DSC03450.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 299
OP
OP
triggers68

triggers68

Loc.
El Dorado, AR
I don't think it would look good. I've seen some cobbled together grills over the years and have yet to see one I liked.

I did like the quad headlight monte carlo conversion grill though.

Never have seen that. looks pretty sharp. I am just looking at options other than buying a new grill. PO chopped this grill a little.

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
To me a lot of the Early Bronco's identy lies within the grille, change that and it's just not a EB anymore. My $.02

Heus33

Bronco Guru
To me a lot of the Early Bronco's identy lies within the grille, change that and it's just not a EB anymore. My $.02

I agree - the two pics I posted are very 80's-ish. Still neat to see the creativity though.

rhino2104

I wouldn't do a billet grill. It just doesn't seem like it'd flow very well with the over all look of the EB. Too modern looking or something like that.

Personally I think the quad headlight conversion is hideous. It looks like it's trying to be an '80s K-5 Blazer and it failed miserably.

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
"Personally I think the quad headlight conversion is hideous."

Wiesbaden, Germany- I visted there once... ;)

X2

-Ed

rhino2104

"Personally I think the quad headlight conversion is hideous."

Wiesbaden, Germany- I visted there once... ;)

X2

-Ed

Yeah been stationed here for almost 4 years now. I think it's about time I go back to the US. I want to play with my Bronco.

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
Don't give up on the creativity ...
You need to look at some of the "Big Oly" pics and see if the grills appeal to you ;)

I can assure you that a replica of one of those configurations would not be scoffed at :D

I will try to post some but I'm sure that others will beat me to it .

howiebilt

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Another vote for not changing it. The grille is part of what makes it look good. :cool:

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I think that if you built your grill out of tubes and had the same number or tubes as horizontal runners and put spacers in the same place and painted them black to where your horz menbers and the headlight rings were chrome and all other metal was body color or black and in the background to where it imitated the early bronco grill it would be cool if done right.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
John Matthews, a MEB member and owner of a custom hot rod shop, did something similar to his grill to what trigger suggests in the first post, and similer to OOgy's suggestion. Basically he cut all the horizontal pieces out of the grill and left all the vertical pieces. He then put stainless tubing in place of the horizontal pieces he removed and attached them to (behind) all the vertical pieces. He then smoothed it all in but left the stainless polished. Hard to explain but it turned out really well and it's very subtle - looks almost like a stock grill - but better! Now John has done a lot of custom hot rods so he has the ability to pull it off. I looked through all my pics and could not find a pic of his Bronco. It has a lot of other really neat touches too.

OP
OP
triggers68

triggers68

Loc.
El Dorado, AR
John Matthews, a MEB member and owner of a custom hot rod shop, did something similar to his grill to what trigger suggests in the first post, and similer to OOgy's suggestion. Basically he cut all the horizontal pieces out of the grill and left all the vertical pieces. He then put stainless tubing in place of the horizontal pieces he removed and attached them to (behind) all the vertical pieces. He then smoothed it all in but left the stainless polished. Hard to explain but it turned out really well and it's very subtle - looks almost like a stock grill - but better! Now John has done a lot of custom hot rods so he has the ability to pull it off. I looked through all my pics and could not find a pic of his Bronco. It has a lot of other really neat touches too.

Yes, thats what I was talking about. Leaving the verticals for a mounting source and painting them the body color, then using about 1/2" to 3/4" round tubing for the horizontals and spacing them evenly. Stailnless steel sounds good and I can polish that myself. I was even thinking of going all the way to the headlights with the tubing and mounting the running lights behind the grill.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I figure someone should be able to reproduce the center section and punch it out of stainless. Might not have the curvature to it or maybe it could but if an overlay that matched the inner curves was made and could be done in chrome or stainless, that would be slick. I have contemplated cutting the center out of one, making some mounting tabs that were undiscernable and having it chromed. Would be fab.

OP
OP
triggers68

triggers68

Loc.
El Dorado, AR
I figure someone should be able to reproduce the center section and punch it out of stainless. Might not have the curvature to it or maybe it could but if an overlay that matched the inner curves was made and could be done in chrome or stainless, that would be slick. I have contemplated cutting the center out of one, making some mounting tabs that were undiscernable and having it chromed. Would be fab.

Thanks Tito,

Not trying to chop up a classic but dont mind looking outside the box either. I havnt decided 100% but it is heavy on my mind. What do you think of hiding the running lights behind the grill?

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I wouldnt hide anything on it. As was said keep the design and style as close as you can just highlight it with some billet or chrome ;D