• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bilstein 5125 boot up or boot down on Rear of EB?

SamD

Looks like they are meant to go boot down because the labels would be up side down the other way.

Sam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
SamD

SamD

I have a non lifted Bronco and I'm mounting the shocks in the stock location. How much should the boot be compressed when the Bronco is jacked up at the axel?

OP
OP
SamD

SamD

What is the recommended torque on the top and bottom nut on the rear shocks? Any need for loctite?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I have a non lifted Bronco and I'm mounting the shocks in the stock location. How much should the boot be compressed when the Bronco is jacked up at the axel?

I went out and looked at mine. It is also stock height. Sitting on the ground, the boot is 5.5 inches down from the center of the top mounting hole.

It fits loose enough that if the suspension did drop, the boot would easily slide down the shock. In fact, I pulled it down and it popped most of the way back up.

OP
OP
SamD

SamD

Mine is about 9.25 inches away from the center of the top bolt. Looks like I need to loosen the cable tie?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
What is the recommended torque on the top and bottom nut on the rear shocks? Any need for loctite?

My Ford manual says 40-60 ft/lbs. I have never heard of a need for Loctite.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Mine is about 9.25 inches away from the center of the top bolt. Looks like I need to loosen the cable tie?

I would loosen it enough so that it's snug but you are still able to move it. I did not even use cable ties. My Bronco never sees any rain or mud.

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru

I used grade 8 with nylon inserts, works well.

OP
OP
SamD

SamD

I used grade 8 with nylon inserts, works well.

Thanks for your help. I got the rear shocks successfully replaced. Anyone want two 42 year old rear shocks?

1342eed99aa12db054ccb57bd5c805e5.jpg