• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Blacked out hood Boss 302 style pics anyone?

Incognito

Loc.
Key West, Florida
I am going to get a new hood but will probably not to a repaint until next year. I was thinking of just going with the blackout hood like on a Boss302.

Paint is PPG Textured low gloss black PPG/Ditzler DDC 9381 HP Black.

Anyone done this and have a picture?

22213evl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rio Rancho N.M.
I painted mine flat black to cut down on glare

Attachments

• hood 001.jpg
    hood 001.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 126
  • hood 002.jpg
    hood 002.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 85
  • hood 003.jpg
    hood 003.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 88

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
On mine just the raised center part is painted black

One pic with the hood scoop, one pic before the scoop

Attachments

• clean2.JPG
    clean2.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Broncosilvergrill.JPG
    Broncosilvergrill.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 79

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
If you squint this looks like a blacked out hood! :cool:

I swapped hoods with another bronco - it's actually very dark blue. And this doesn't look half as funny as the blue 66 with the orange hood!

Attachments

• PA102100.JPG
    PA102100.JPG
    206.6 KB · Views: 172

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
69 Mustang Mach 1's had the hood painted flat black with just a bit of the body color around the front and side edges, always looked cool to me. Actually it was a Matte Black.

Dan76

If you squint this looks like a blacked out hood! :cool:

I swapped hoods with another bronco - it's actually very dark blue. And this doesn't look half as funny as the blue 66 with the orange hood!

Is that an EB with a ranger grill?

OP
OP
Incognito

Incognito

Loc.
Key West, Florida
Boss 302

I did some research with a friend who has 2 Boss 302's one with the hood stripe and one with the full blackout option.

The hood paint is not available in the exact code as the factory did but PPG copied it, the one I listed above is the correct code. It was a textured low gloss.

SACHEM

Back From the Dead
I pained mine black mostly because I was sick of trying to smooth the hood scoop tansition out. I thought flat black would hide the waves beter.

Attachments

• smallscoop.jpg
    smallscoop.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 109

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Is that an EB with a ranger grill?

Good eye Dan, I went back and checked and sure looks like it!

Hey Scoop, does your hood vent like that? You have hydraulics running it? ;D

Yes, that is Cesco's. It's got either a Ranger or BII grill grafted in.

I made 3 inch hood hinge extensions which I bolted on for my last wheeling trip to see if it helped my overheating problem. (The prior trip I had to remove the hood completely to keep it cool.) The 3 inch raise did the trick and I ran cool both days. I have been trying to think of ways to raise and lower it with some sort of mechanism. I was thinking of trying to use a power window motor and a scissors lift type of thing. But hydraulics just might work . . .

It would be cool to sit in the drivers seat and press a button and have it come up! :cool:

The other alternative is to cut holes in my hood and I am trying to avoid that.

Attachments

• PA110308 S.jpg
    PA110308 S.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 68

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Mine is flat black also ..Can some one search and install if not thats fine ..I do have pictures of my Bronco I promise on here ..Camo Bronco ..mine has a Camo skin but the center riser on the hood is painter in flat black bed liner with a 1/4 inch pin strip around it...

Last edited:

bigjhoov

nobody
Krylon satin black

S73016462.JPG

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I've always thought flat black hoods were cool. when/if I ever paint mine, that is what I'm going to do.

grabbermach

I am going to paint mine like my Dad's 69 mach 1 mustang hood. I have a picture if someone can post it for me.

justinoshea

Contributor
Loc.
Gilbert, AZ
Some idiot (me) cut a hole in the hood to clear a 4bbl & a chrome air cleaner necessitating a hood scoop after EFI conversion. carburetors suck!

Attachments

• 2008_10240067.JPG
    2008_10240067.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 49

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Yes, that is Cesco's. It's got either a Ranger or BII grill grafted in.

I made 3 inch hood hinge extensions which I bolted on for my last wheeling trip to see if it helped my overheating problem. (The prior trip I had to remove the hood completely to keep it cool.) The 3 inch raise did the trick and I ran cool both days. I have been trying to think of ways to raise and lower it with some sort of mechanism. I was thinking of trying to use a power window motor and a scissors lift type of thing. But hydraulics just might work . . .

It would be cool to sit in the drivers seat and press a button and have it come up! :cool:

The other alternative is to cut holes in my hood and I am trying to avoid that.

Power seat mechanism?

Some of those go down pretty flat, although you'd still wind up hacking into the cowl.

You have on board air?

Bicycle innertubes under the base of the hinge would lift it 6 inches easily, and drop back down totally flat.

Be really cool if you hooked it to a thermostat so it would raise automatically if the underhood temps got above the setpoint. Although if it went high enough it could pinch some fingers if it went back down at the wrong time.

I removed the inner fenders, and put some vents at the front of the hood and at the cowl. That cured my heat problems.

Attachments

• bronco front.JPG
    bronco front.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited: