• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BLEW a PS pump hose, need some quick HELP

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
:p

was drive'n and all a sudden the steering went to crap I pulled over and the hose blew out on the hard angle from the saginaw swap.

Do I need to do anything besides get new 3/8" tube and re-clamp it? ?:?

Or do I need to bleed air sum-how? Do I need some special HP hose? etc...

%) never did anything with a pump B-4...

For that matter, for future refrence how long can you go with a dry pump B4 it is done for??? Or do you need to pull over ASAP (what I did)?? I'm about to head out to try to find some shop open that sells the hose I need...

SO, any help You all can offer would be a HUGE help to me!!!!

THX!

:cool:

B

bert

P/S pumps fry quickly without oil in them, you did good to stop.
If it is the pressure hose that failed, hose clamps will not hold for a reliable period of time. They fail when you need it most, ask how I know.
I had a custom hose made for mine. I took both ends so they could match the fittings. Cost was around $35. About the same as a quality hose, premade from a parts store.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
If you can get some p/s hose your good to go. I believe 3/8 is the size. You can also run -6an if interested in braided...

hth

Mick

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
:p

Ok... well no parts shops were pen so I had to go to Home Depot and used their "Low Pressure" clear re-enforced tube.

It is the stuff that is see thru but with the inner woven deal. it got me home no prob and seems to work just fine...

Do I need to replace it at all or should it be fine?? It says it takes upto 275 psi...

flint_knapper

BRONCO GOD
Loc.
Harvest, AL
I think that is the low pressure side?
I wouldn't trust that hose, don't think
it will last long being exposed to the
power steering fluid. Auto zone should
sale power steering hose by the foot.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
is power steering fluid like brake fluid???

I didn't think it was caustic at all...

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
if it wasn't made for it dont use it. can cause other issues...material breakdown, burst at the wrong time as if there's a right time...

Case

hello slick, hows life up north.
i wouldnt trust that clear tubing. it is made for the pressure but not the heat or type of fluid going through it. it does look like the low pressure side so you only need a hose clamp to hold it on. good luck Case